Stove Cover For Older Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #1

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Stove Cover For Older Scamp

Good morning, all! We'd like to get a cover for our stove in our 1982 Scamp. It's an original 2-burner and after a season of camping, and only using it twice to boil water, we've decided a cover makes sense so we can use the extra counter space. I've looked at the ones Scamp sells, which is always a 'back pocket' option, but I wondered if anyone has recommendations for others that they have used. My husband likes the idea of this one from Camping World. 2 Burner Drop-In Cover, White - Suburban 2968AWH - Counter & Stove Tops - Camping WorldHas anyone used it? Does it fit on a Scamp stove? The measurements say it should, but I'd love to hear real world pros and cons if anyone has them! Thank you!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
You could get one made exactly the size you need that will also work as a serving tray. However, it would be ABS plastic instead of metal.

Could also add your own cutting board to it:

http://rvwidgetworks.com
Attached Thumbnails
stovetop2.jpg   stovetop1.jpg  

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Make one!
Just four little strips of top grade 3/4"plywood and a piece of 1/4" luan.
Of course you could make it with any kind of top, like laminate flooring that looks like wood or tile.
Here's ours, which doubles as a counter extension or side table.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 008.jpg   DSCF0031.JPG  

DSCF0034.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #4

Name: James
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
I was thinking of making a thick cutting board, then routing out the underside to go over the grates.
Then add some hold down tabs to keep it locked in place.

Basically a high school project cutting board with a few more tweaks.

Let me know if you're interested. Not too hard to make two.
jdconnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #5

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Here is the solution that I came up with.

I bought two matching cutting boards from Meijer, I believe Walmart sells very similar ones.

For the sink, I use just the cutting board, it is large enough that it will not fall into the sink, and sliding it right up against the faucets and the upper cabinet support, it remains quite stable while stationary. Have to move it during transport.

For the stove I added spindled Galley Rail that I got at Lowe's in the molding area. The employee couldn't tell me where to find it, but I just kept looking and found it. One package was enough to support three sides of the cutting board. I left the fourth side open so that it is easy to slide into position. When travelling, I turn the stove cover around, so that what is the front side goes to the back. This hooks the cover onto the stove, so it stays in position while traveling. At least so far.

The Galley Rail falls apart when you remove it from the package, so you need to have wood glue handy when you want to re-assemble after cutting the rails to length. I screwed the one rail to the cutting board, then added glue and re-assembled the spindles and the second rail on each side. A short length of 2x6 as a persuader made seating all the spindles easy once they were lined up properly. Sounds more complicated than it was. All together took about a half hour. I then just placed some weight on it to hold it all together until it was cured.

Full disclosure, I got the idea from a Youtube video, but it had no directions.

Here are a couple of pics:
Attached Thumbnails
P1000237.JPG   P1000238.JPG  

LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #6

Colorado
Registry
You all are so creative! I knew there would be fabulous ideas shared! I really like what you all have done. I especially like the idea of being able to utilize it for additional counter space, should I want to. Hmmm. Thank you jdconnel for offering to make one for me... my handy dandy dad will be here next weekend and I may have a project for him He'll be so happy, I'm sure! THANK YOU ALL!
Old 03-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I did this, very easy. A colored abs cutting board, from target with two double faced tape rails on bottom, which capture the stove base that stops it from moving and holds it above the control knobs. Tape has been holding over a year now, Off and on very easy. Carl
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0765-001.JPG   DSCN0766-003.JPG  

Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
Carl, that looks like something even I could make! Thank you!
Old 03-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #9

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
You could get one made exactly the size you need that will also work as a serving tray. However, it would be ABS plastic instead of metal.

Could also add your own cutting board to it:

http://rvwidgetworks.com
Just had a chance to look at this site! Wow! Now I have lots of OTHER ideas for things I'd like in our Scamp! Like dividers for the upper shelves and wine bottle storage Looks like fair pricing and good craftsmanship. THANK YOU!!
Old 02-05-2022, 12:40 AM   #10

Name: Jenny
Trailer: Scamp 16" Deluxe
California
Cutting board size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I did this, very easy. A colored abs cutting board, from target with two double faced tape rails on bottom, which capture the stove base that stops it from moving and holds it above the control knobs. Tape has been holding over a year now, Off and on very easy. Carl
Hi, what is your black cutting board size? Thanks
akisong16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp