Streaks going down fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Every spring I have heavy streaks going down the shell from rain streaks at window edges etc.. I tried a few different things, but GOO GONE really works great. I've used it a few times now and doesn't seem to harm anything. NOTE: I wash the camper first, use the GOO GONE where needed, than wash and rinse. Great on tar too.
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
When I got my Boler it had been sitting for a while. I used Zep Citrus. I sprayed it on everywhere and let it soak in, then took it to the local wand wash at two in the morning, and blasted everything off. The window gaskets shed a mess of black gunk, as did the old spare tire.

The trailer gleamed.
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Rubbing alcohol works good also.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubbing_Alcohol_and_Hydrogen_LSS__i_lbw148906S.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	28096

But removes the wax. Just rewax.
Click image for larger version

Name:	prod_1202186038.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	28097
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Here in Southern California, we have fine particulate pollution that comes from being around so much traffic. I noticed a dark gray dust settles on the roof of the Fiber Stream when it is parked in one spot for any length of time. If it is rained on when the roof is dusty, then there are black streaks down the walls afterward. I've discovered that keeping the roof washed and waxed often has eliminated the streaks for me. YMMV
Old 05-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
I live in Salisbury Md. Check out The Dollar Tree store, they have an orange all purpose cleaner that cost 1$ for a qt. spray bottle and 1$ for a half gallon refill, that works just as well as a 8$ a qt. of marine fiber glass cleaner.

JB
John W B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
My rig sits under a Native Elm and Mesquite tree most of the time. Between infrequent washes, it develops dark gray to black streaks. I have found that if I use a mixture of 1 part white vinegar, 3 parts water, and a squirt of soap as a wetting agent the streaks clean right off. Can't beat the price.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
I live in Salisbury Md. Check out The Dollar Tree store, they have an orange all purpose cleaner that cost 1$ for a qt. spray bottle and 1$ for a half gallon refill, that works just as well as a 8$ a qt. of marine fiber glass cleaner.

JB
Is that the "Totally Awesome" orange cleaner recommended on FGRV recently? I tried some and it was OK, but didn't seem much different than 409. The instruction on the back say not to use it full strength on glass, for what it's worth. I gave it a tough challenge:

I am trying to find something to take these awful red stains from our redwood tree off my U-Haul. I have the camper top covered, but they get little spots here and there. Soft scrub with peroxide helps, but it's taking off gel coat. And that red stuff seems to sink in and it's tough to bleach out!

Regards,

Matt
Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
Spray nine is the ultimate!

just spray it on and watch the streaks run
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft Bigfoot 1500
Good old Trisodium Phosphate to clean the chalking. Transmission oil and windex for the streaks. Put some fresh transmission oil on a rag and wipe out the streak. Spray area with the windex and wipe off immediately with a clean cloth. Trick here is speed and doing a small, and I mean small, area at a time. Do not let transmission fluid sit on fibreglass/ gel coats. You have to be quick.
D Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W B View Post

JB
john...is this product you speak of named "awesome"???
last spring we ran into a couple in a giant motorhome who swore by a product that they purchased at a different $$$ store....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Wife swears by clorox and she shows me how
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
3M makes a combo restore and wax that works really well at taking off the streaks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote