Stripping paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2022, 06:45 AM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: Trillium
Florida
Registry
Stripping paint

Hello.
I was wondering about stripping the paint off the interior fiberglass of my recently acquired 1975 Scamp. The previous owners have painted every inch of it several times. Someone told me to use marine stripper in the fiberglass and ensolite. I appreciate the suggestion but was wondering if I can just sand off the excess paint from the fiberglass?
I have removed the wooden cabinet doors and begun to strip them. I discovered the wood looks like some kind of red wood so I will leave them natural with some kind of clear sealer.
Should I try sanding the fiberglass or use stripper on it?
Thanks,
Susan
SuCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If you planned on repainting, and the previous paint is still well adhered, I would wash clean, lightly sand, and use a good quality paint to bring in the new look.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:42 AM   #3

Name: Susan
Trailer: Trillium
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If you planned on repainting, and the previous paint is still well adhered, I would wash clean, lightly sand, and use a good quality paint to bring in the new look.
Thank you. I sanded as you suggested and smoothed down the brush marks. Just sprayed a coat of paint on and it looks 100 percent better already . That was so much easier than stripping. Not so much for wooden doors. Still working stripping on those.
SuCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Glad to hear it is working well for you. There are lots of good wood strippers out there. Still lots of work, especially to get them ready for a clear coat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint