Structural sections of 80's Scamp trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Wasn't sure what to search by on this. Sorry if the topic has been covered before.

Where are the structural beams or simular that are glassed into a Scamps fiberglass Body (if any). If there is, are they wood or metal orrr? Looking into doing some modifications but dont want to loose structural integrity too much.

Thanx in advance.

George
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:57 AM   #2

Guess its a late 70's era actually. Here are pics of it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1
Old 04-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #3

Trailer:
There are some photos taken by visitors to the (old) Scamp factory that I find very helpful for this. Here's one: Factory tour but I can't find the other album that's got more informative photos. Can anyone help? (The visitors were collecting a new Scamp with a Honda Element, if that helps!)

George, if you want to pm me your email address, I can email you the photos I have saved onf part-built Scamps.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #4

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
As far as the shell, there aren't any - not of the fashion you're thinking of anyway. The "egg" isn't truely self supporting (like a geod. dome) however. The supports are in plain sight.

Primarily:

1) The (IMHO unattractive) twisted iron bars running from the counter to the overhead cabinet.

2) The closet. This also provides rigidity to the door latch.

If you're thinking more of the floor/frame... The frame is pretty well integrated. It's not like the shell simply sits on top of a platform. Main issue you're likely to have is the drop floor in the middle (bottom of the trailer isn't flat).

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:33 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with Mike W. The design is to collapse into itself due to the curvature of the upper shell. If you notice, the widest point of the shell is the center waist. By placing rigid supports along the side and rolled into the center, the structure becomes rigid. Tieing that structure and spreading it across a wider area (on 16' side closet and sink cabinet, bathroom/closet and cook cabinet) and tieing the length to the upper shell (use of upper cabinets with the iron struts) provides a basis of structure. The corners of the upper shell are designed to spread the force over a wide area. About the weakest point of the camper is near the door.

Once you pick up your camper, before pulling it home, go inside and push up on the roof just off the raised center section. You should be able to feel the side walls bellowing. Worst location is probably the doorway area and opposite side directly across.
Mike jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Sorry guys but you failed the obscure Scamp knowledge test -- All Scamp models have one glassed-in steel support -- It's a vertical piece of about 3/4" or 1" tubular steel in the forward frame of the doorway from the floor to the curve -- It's taller in the 19' 5W models. If you feel in the ratfur at the top curve of the doorway, you should be able to feel the top end of it.

The only other glassed-in supports I know of in Scamp are various pieces of wood at openings in the fiberglass cabinetry.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #7

Ok.... so there is none where I was thinking on cutting out.

OK...... next question...... hmmmm... better in new thread I guess.

Here it is

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=19600

Tags
scamp