Temporary Security - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
First of all, I know securing our trailers has been discussed and I did read the other threads, but I would love a bit of advice about a temporary security measure.

I don't want to spend a whole lot on a locking device that may only be needed for a few months. I am hoping to get a garage built by winter with a 9' high door to store the trailer inside, then I'll just lock the hitch as an additional measure.

For now I'm not comfortable just putting a hitch lock onto a lightweight trailer stored outside. I think it would take two guys only about 10 seconds to lift it onto a bumper and drive off if they really wanted to, lock or not. So, I am looking for another option to use instead of/in addition to a hitch locking device for a minimal cost in the interim.

What about locking the wheels to the frame with chain/cable to immobilize (in addition to a padlock on the hitch)? Seems like an easy way to lock up and I read that some members are doing this. Could a thief not cut the chain/cable with a wire cutter?
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
PM sent.

http://www.nrgsystems.com/store/files/2053_specs.pdf

I've heard stories of hitch locks that were defeated in just about 30 seconds... They're worth next to nothing, if you want to protect a valuable trailer. Dont take any chances.

I prefer to use use an anchor that can be screwed in the ground, using a 8 foot 2x4. This anchor has a 2 1/4 X 4 1/4 square hole, instead of a round one, like the one pictured in the above link. And this anchor does not damage anything, when removed. It takes about 20 minutes to install , but I can assure you that only a very motivated thief, could steal your trailer. You can buy these square anchors at a good hardware store. They cost about $20 - $25.00 + the cost of a good galvanized chain and a sturdy stainless steel padlock. Keep the chain as short as you can, preferably wrapped over the rear bumper.

I have put a lot of TLC + $$$ in my trailer, so, thieves wont be able to get away with my trailer, easily.

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Would Putting it up on blocks and take the wheels off of it be secure enough????
Old 07-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Would Putting it up on blocks and take the wheels off of it be secure enough????
My thoughts too, only I was thinking perhaps removing the spare and one wheel/tire...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:58 PM   #5

Removing the wheels would be a good deterrent! ...but not something I really want to do (but may consider if I don't have another option)

Yves - your concept makes sense to me, but I would worry about a thief with bolt cutters, wouldn't they be able to get through the chain?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
As Lainey has been to my home,she may have noticed i keep a vehical in front of my trailer.This is ok if you have a spare vehicle which is not in use.Thats how i do it.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #7

Yes, keeping a vehicle parked in front makes it darn near impossible to get the trill doesn't it? BTW Ches, I am impressed with how shiny it really is in person!

This is my trailer parking spot,
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parked.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	9252
(okay, it did take a little while... but what with my neighbour's truck and the fence on the other side of the alley, not bad in the end)
Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
[quote]Yes, keeping a vehicle parked in front makes it darn near impossible to get the trill doesn't it? BTW Ches, I am impressed with how shiny it really is in person!

This is my trailer parking spot,
Attachment 9252

That backing up job looks good to me.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
If they want it, they'll get it no matter what you do. The only real defense you have is to increase the amount of time it will take them to abscond with your rig.

Pulling the tires, while a pain, is likely the best bet for the money. If you use the trailer frequently, you may want to come up with something different. If it gets used maybe twice a summer, then pulling the rubber would also allow you to store them out of the sun to increase longevity.

Whatever you do, make sure it's obvious. Having a hood leave your trailer behind because a HUGE chain ripped off the axle will still leave you with your trailer, but also a big repair.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 1300 Boler
yup,x2 on the removal of the tires.Or a couple of 100lbs.+ Rottis might also work its worked pretty good for me so far
Jason Goward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
A thick cable with built in lock is much harder to cut than chain with bolt cutters......... while anything is possible if in a bad area i cable thru the tires around the axle and to a tree if possible (if no tree then alot of bicycles or something similar to make noise if they decide to drag it away) I use a good hitch lock w/ ball inside and then crank the trailer up high so that it is too high to pick-up and drag away and use the safety chains locked around the crank handle... I don't do this at home but had it in storage once in a very bad neighborhood.
This system is not foolproof but it will really slow them down
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Auger a 4+ foot deep hole behind or beside the trailer by the fence, insert some 6 inch thick iron pipe, fill hole and pipe with cement. Paint pipe yellow. Wrap 5/8" grade-8 chain around the base of the pipe and axle of the trailer so short they can't lift the chain over the top of the pipe without lifting the whole trailer up. Get a good padlock..

You just need to make the trailer down the street look easier to get but you also want the pipe to be readily obvious so no one just hooks up and starts to drive away, ripping the axle from underneath the trailer leaving you with an expensive repair.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I think I know how you feel. Have you thought about something like the tire boot? There are several of them out there.

Here's just one example. Trying googling for Tire boot or trailer tire lock. Three qre quite a few out there and prices all over the board.

NOTE: The link I gave has very expensive ones for larger applications. I did rumble around and found one for $180, I think. Finding different brands, etc, would probably result in some better prices.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #14
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
$165.00
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #15

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Anything you can do to slow them down will help. Regarding locks, chains, and cables... use a heavy braided steel cable. They're almost impossible to cut with a bolt cutter. That makes the lock the weak point. Use one of the cylinder locks that has no exposed hasp, and it will cause them to have to torch the lock off or use some other extraordinary measure... they're not just going to knock it off or cut it. The odds of your trailer being stolen, though, are significantly less than the odds of your 4WD pickup being stolen. I have a Master hitch lock on my 25' Bigfoot, mostly for show. While there are trailer thefts occasionally, I wouldn't get too excited about the whole thing. The odds of it happening to you specifically are only slightly less than you being hit by lightning or winning the lottery. Both of those happen to someone. Just not to you. Usually.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's what I would do, for max effect at min cost:

As suggested above, get a large, screw-into-the-ground anchor, like the kind used for mobile home anchors, in the biggest size you can find. Screw it into the ground near the front of the trailer, with the top angled away from the street. That will make it extremely difficult to pull out because the shaft will bend first.

Get a large motorcycle cable and lock, the kind that are quite resistant to cutting. The good ones come with a loss warranty, so take some photos of the finished installation just in case. A serious chain would also work and cost less, maybe...

Lock the cable through the A-frame right near the coupler, so the setup is obvious to the dumbest thief. That way they won't take off and rip the axle or bumper off. They can't unscrew the anchor with the cable through the eye on the shaft.

After you have the new egg crate built, you can reuse the anchor to hold Fido and convince your wife you need a motorcycle now that you have a cable to keep it safe
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #17

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I may pursue Pete's idea with the large screw in anchor, my dog WILL be able to use that after the fact! The way I'm picturing what you've described Pete, this would only work if the trailer was parked for an extended time, but if I'm taking it in and out of the parking area the anchor would need to be removed each time?

Quote:
The odds of it happening to you specifically are only slightly less than you being hit by lightning or winning the lottery. Both of those happen to someone. Just not to you. Usually.
Too bad about the lottery part, you are right, it happens to someone, just not me!

Canadian tire has a Tire Lock for $89.99
Old 08-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #18

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...I may pursue Pete's idea with the large screw in anchor, my dog WILL be able to use that after the fact! The way I'm picturing what you've described Pete, this would only work if the trailer was parked for an extended time, but if I'm taking it in and out of the parking area the anchor would need to be removed each time?
No, I assume that Pete means to screw in the anchor and leave it there permanently. It could be removed any time the cable is not attached to it, but it would be a lot of unnecessary work.

I left a low-profile anchor (for the dog) in my back yard for a couple of years and mowed right over it; the style you would want in this case would have just a steel loop showing above the ground, as shown in the spec sheet which Yves linked in his post. To move the trailer, you just unlock the cable, which can then be stored elsewhere leaving only the loop of the anchor showing. That loop is both the place you insert a bar to screw in it or out of the ground, and the place you run the cable through to lock the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
What Brian said!!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Canadian tire has a Tire Lock for $89.99
Canadian Tire has it on sale for $76.49 this week and they have a printable coupon for $10 off anything over $40.

That brings it down to $66.49 plus you get funny money back! I should post this on Red Flag Deals
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote