That dreaded mildew smell - looking for ideas - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #21

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penney H. & Mike E. View Post
That's what we're doing Jann, but it is a very inaccessible area and after running heat into it for 5 hours it's still damp, also even with spray, not sure we can reach as far back as we need to, but will try. Thanks.
Try running a fan as high powered as you can get blowing at the damp area. It may take a couple of days to dry out. Sometimes heat causes problems and may make it mildew or mold as it could cause moisture like steam sort of. I had to dry out the floor of a Casita once and ran a fan as the heater didn't work well for drying it out at all.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #22

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Of course you could hire an expert to find the source of the smell. ...
a certified mold sniffer dog Yes there really is such a thing and their noses are much more reliable at pin pointing it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Of course you could hire an expert to find the source of the smell. ...
a certified mold sniffer dog Yes there really is such a thing and their noses are much more reliable at pin pointing it.

I'd love to find such a service! we are at our wits end, even the little leak we found is not the source, but running heat in the shower all day has made the odor worse throughout the trailer. There are few places we haven't looked, will be taking more things apart tomorrow to look at those.

I doubt there are mold sniffing dogs on the Olympic Peninsula, though it's a moldy place!

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penney H. & Mike E. View Post
I'd love to find such a service! we are at our wits end, even the little leak we found is not the source, but running heat in the shower all day has made the odor worse throughout the trailer. There are few places we haven't looked, will be taking more things apart tomorrow to look at those.

I doubt there are mold sniffing dogs on the Olympic Peninsula, though it's a moldy place!

I was wrong, found someone on Internet with mold dogs, left message, wish I'd done so before Friday night!

Old 05-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #25

Registry
The smell, very bad yesterday while running intense heat into cavity above shower stall, has disappated, or so it seems. So if it was from that leak drying doesn't mean the actual mold is gone, unless heating kills mold, which I don't think is so. I'm concerned when we close the gap, and replace the vent, it could smell again from just air moisture that would get in. Thought about spraying in a borax solution, and redry, but it would be hard to get it all the way back, or thoroughly saturate the area, especially the underside of roof, where I see an unknown white whatever.

Anyone wiser than me about mold have any ideas? (living where I do, I should be very mold wise, I think I try to ignore it, it's so omnipresent!)

Penney

Old 05-29-2017, 06:37 AM   #26

Name: Ken
Trailer: Acorn 13
Maryland
Another possibility would be to purchase a bottle of " ROOT KILL " at Home Depot or Lowe's - It is normally used to kill tree roots in septic lines and such . it is Copper Sulfate crystals ( small blue water soluble crystals ) mix up a batch with some warm water ..... the solution will kill all mold and be absorbed into the wood - especially if you can dry out the interior of the trailer with a de humidifier beforehand . Apply it with a roller or brush - wearing gloves - you really do not want to spray this stuff .. it is pretty powerful so BE CAREFULL - The good side is you will have no mold for a couple of years -- if ever !
Ken Max is offline   Reply With Quote