Thinking we have to replace the black water tnak seal? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

Name: Deb
Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16
Michigan
Thinking we have to replace the black water tnak seal?

Been checking out the lines, the shower was draining slowly...so cleaned trap, and replaced a kinked drain line below. Waiting on a new drain valve for the fresh water tank (project 1), so I got a bucket of water to put down the shower drain, DH watching below to see if there are leaks. He yells there is water coming from the BLACK water floor hole. (Water down the toilet does not leak) I am seeing a trip to the repair place.....or am I wrong?
Trudys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudys Mom View Post
Been checking out the lines, the shower was draining slowly...so cleaned trap, and replaced a kinked drain line below. Waiting on a new drain valve for the fresh water tank (project 1), so I got a bucket of water to put down the shower drain, DH watching below to see if there are leaks. He yells there is water coming from the BLACK water floor hole. (Water down the toilet does not leak) I am seeing a trip to the repair place.....or am I wrong?

1] Front bath or side bath?

2] If front bath, did you clean the screen?

3] If front bath, does the pump run all right?

4] If you spilled water on the floor at the toilet level then water coming out around the black water drain hole would be normal and nothing to be concerned about.

5] the line from the trap is small enough that it can get clogged with hair and debris. You may need to simply disconnect the line and manually clean it out. A wire coat hanger will work fine. insert it with the twisted end first and turn it like a screw to grab the hair.

6] No worries, it sounds like nothing a screwdriver, a coat hanger and a few minutes work won't solve. Give it a shot... you can do it!!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

Michigan
Not so sure...

Side Bath.....this began with a slow shower drain. I think we got that fixed. Lots of gunk in the filter....got in nice and clean, cleaned the screen, line and trap, put in a new unkinked line. Tested the pump with a piece of line to the intake from a bucket of water and it pushed thru fine. Hooked it all up, and with DH watching outside, I poured a bucket of water into the shower floor....I was mainly aiming at the drain hole, but it filled the floor to cover. Still not draining, but I think maybe the pump needs water in the lines to pull? Not so worried about the drain part as the components seem to work.

BUT when I poured the water on the shower floor, DH said it came out the hole in the floor for the BLACK water drain. I did not pour water over the toilet....although a shower would....so am thinking it is leaking around the seal for the pipe going thru the floor?
Old 07-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
I have a 13 ft with front bath but I think the basic setup is the same. I replaced seals & gaskets on my Dometic Sea-Land this spring. Scamp sent along a wax seal which goes between the holding tank and the floor. Sounds like this might be how water from the shower pan gets to the black water hole. I would definitely put this on my to-fix list: either water will eventually rot the floor around the hole, or little critters will use this gap to access the interior of the trailer.
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #5

Michigan
Def. in the plans to deal with this. Stepping back from it all today....I am thinking we may just take her over to the RV service and have them do it. I can deal with the fresh water tank drain valve...and not going to mess with the gray water drain line until the seal is fixed. Am wondering now about the seal around the gray water tank exit thru the floor.....