Time to buy the pink stuff - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I keep thinking about this with all sorts of stuff. Now that hand sanitizer, wipes and all that is back in stock...do I stock up, or are we all settled down now and confident supplies will last, so people will stop hoarding?

I don’t plan to hoard, but should I have a few of everything saved up? I’ve been erring on the side of “yes”. Even though storage is very limited, I’m buying much more TP, paper towels, sanitizer and wipes. Never know when people are going to go crazy again.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2670 View Post
I recently got rid of my truck camper and always just blew it out using a compressor. Never had any problems. Getting a Scamp 16 in the late fall and will have to see if that works out for it. We are in Colorado and it got plenty cold....
I never understood how compressed air could push water through a pump that was turned off. Let us know how it works out and how much the repair cost if it does not.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damp Scamp Tramp View Post
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. What is anti-freeze? Is that for when it gets below 65 degrees?
This is a prime example of our failing education system !
American children know or learn little about lands / cultures / climates beyond their immediate neighborhood
It has always struck me as odd that we have a whole segment of the population that can operate a complicated cell phone which takes 17 unrelated steps to go from point A to point B but can’t figure out how to change a light bulb or winterize their trailer .
The mechanical / electrical systems in a trailer are so basic, simple and elementary that an adult should be able to figure it out using grade school logic & knowledge.
We woke up to 54 deg F this morning and I did not need to run to the internet to see if Winter had arrived .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm also astounded at the lack of critical thinking skills in some individuals and those that can't recognize sarcasm when they read it...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #25

Montana
^^

But sometimes it depends as much on your mood at the time of reading as anything.

As to air, I've heard from enough people who only use compressed air that I guess I'm confident it can work. I still choose to run some anti-freeze through my system.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've done compressed air, but prefer anti-freeze because I can see anti-freeze coming out of the taps so I know it's in the pipes. Air, not so much.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #27
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I keep thinking about this with all sorts of stuff. Now that hand sanitizer, wipes and all that is back in stock...do I stock up, or are we all settled down now and confident supplies will last, so people will stop hoarding?

I don’t plan to hoard, but should I have a few of everything saved up? I’ve been erring on the side of “yes”. Even though storage is very limited, I’m buying much more TP, paper towels, sanitizer and wipes. Never know when people are going to go crazy again.
Yup. It took a month for NAPA to get front rotors for my Honda. Made in China. Seeds, forget it. Apparently every one decided to garden this year. Just back from the grocery store. Lots of TP but no paper towels. They've got beef on sale and lobsters are cheap, probably because of the restaurants being closed. And it's a good thing I don't buy hamburger helper! Lots of bread but low on flour. You're right you just dont know. Anyway, I got my pink stuff covered.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #28

Montana
I think I have enough left from last year...better double check.

Our shelves are pretty much back to normal here. Lots of new brands, discount brands, but everything is on the shelf.

I did have to wait a month on the disposable gloves I use for mechanical work and tank draining.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #29

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
The Corona Virus shutdowns have caused massive shortages and supply flow disruptions. It would be a good idea to plan ahead especially when it comes to obtaining
Items required to protect your RV from winter damage.
My new motto: “Buy it when you see it.”
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #30

Name: Rose
Trailer: Casita
Hutto
It’s difficult to imagine - and I’d be grateful for - lows in the mid-60s by October. Like Florida ... winter weather in Texas means not having to run the AC at night.
We’ve had > 100 degree temperatures for the past 10 days without college football to look forward to (the only really good thing that happens in August).
TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:10 AM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Pink stuff weather is fast approaching , sunny and 44 deg F this morning
Can’t wait for the real Fall sport season to start - DEER HUNTING
Planning an Oct camping trip , warm days , cool nights and Fall colors

** Highs today in the low 70’s - a little high but not too bad **
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:46 AM   #32

Montana
It's coming. Even though it was 94 and smoky yesterday, I saw a little frost Friday morning up in the mountains. It's always strange around here that right during the hottest time of the year, you also have little glimpses of cool fall weather.

Yes, deer and elk are just around the corner...
Old 08-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #33

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
A lot of RV's have a low point drain that allows pulling much of the water out via gravity. I think blowing it out with a compressor is just to make sure there are no low spots still holding water.

I found out something, mice love the pink stuff. Leave a jug open with a 1/2 inch of it in the bottom and it will be full of dead mice shortly. Discovered by accident. Used to store an RV at a farm. Left a jug with a little in it open next to the pump.

Having a stocked "pantry" of items one uses avoids some of the issues with supply in stores. If one always keeps a box with a couple of jugs of RV anti-freeze in the garage and replaces it as it gets used up then not finding it this fall isn't an issue. You have until next fall to restock.

I like having a couple or three extra cans of coffee, or a second pack of toilet paper on hand, when I get to where I might use them I restock for the coming month. Probably best part is one can reduce consumption to avoid running out if something becomes hard to find or expensive. May have to use less but don't run out.

Do the same with things such as Coleman fuel or lantern mantels, even batteries to some extent. Have to rotate batteries to avoid letting a pack sit around for years but beats having to drive several miles to town to buy more when the cordless mouse dies.

Hoarding is often what causes shortages. So buying what you need, in advance of that need is your best defense against hoarder induced shortages. Or shortages due to supply chain disruption. Have you been in Harbor Freight lately? Place is barren. Much of their product is shipped from China and has to travel from port to warehouse to store. They just are not getting the number of deliveries or the quantities in the delivery they have in the past.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote