Time to start waxing those trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2003, 07:57 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Time to start waxing those trailers

Ok, folks, we have winter on the run.

Time to wax those trailers!

I prefer using Mequire's boat wax ... but others have had success with different waxes.

I think any wax would probably do.

The most important thing is to wax your rig a couple of times a year.

To wash the rig, I use a bucket, sponge and carwash soap which won't strip off the existing wax.

Don't make the mistake of taking your rig to a high-pressure car wash. Using a high pressure wand will lift caulk, window gaskets as well as drive moisture deep into your refrigerator and water heater gas orifaces, causing them to rust.

Wash your rig by hand! Use a sponge mop to reach the tippy top! You can also use a sponge mop (covered with a rag) to apply and buff the wax!)

More springtime tips:

If you've had your rig stored all winter, now would also be a good time to hook up the trailer and exercise those tires! Might even think about adding a little grease to the wheel bearings, since the grease has a tendency to settle during long periods of storage.

Don't wait to do all this the day before you go camping.

Get out this weekend and do some maintenance on your rig.

I promise you'll find it theraputic.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 08:05 AM   #2

While you're waxing .....

Also double check all your caulk lines.

Winter's freezing and thawing action can often break the caulk seal.

Sometimes the lack-of-seal is not obvious ... but it will still cause a leak.

Take your finger and press along the top and bottom of the fiberglass or access panel or fan vent, near the caulk line. You'll be able to flex the area enough to watch the caulk and see if it stays attached to BOTH surfaces.

If a gap opens up ... unless you are pressed for time ... fix it right! Remove the old caulk and lay in a bead of new.

Laying more caulk over the old existing caulk rarely stands the test of time!

Remember to check the caulk on TOP of your rig also, around vent openings, but also along the TOP of the exhaust vent.

Water, after all, runs down hill. So it stands to reason that a failed caulk seam on the roof is more serious than a failed seam along the side of your water heater door.

But check and fix them all!

A kilogram of prevention is worth a hector of cure.

(I know, I know, the two don't equate metrically. It was my weak attempt to make my Canadian friends feel at home!)

Old 03-13-2003, 08:05 AM   #3

Come on!

Tell us about your Springtime maintenance tips!

Old 03-13-2003, 08:17 AM   #4

Chaaarrrles!! this sounds like work, I thought we just camped and talked and biked and walked and and ate. Now I got to look at caulking?? well bummer. Course it is outside--in the sun--:conf and Buttercup would like it. :yep Okay, I'll go look.

Old 03-13-2003, 01:19 PM   #5

spring time maintenance

Charles, I took the trailer out for a 30 mile run and check things out.
We don't have as hard as winters as you so the trailer is in good shape, it get washed 3 or 4 times doing the winter and it also gets opened up every week to air it out.
Charles you are good about reminding everyone to do their maintenance for spring and the rest of the year, Thank you.
I am like you I do the maintenance myself and enjoy it.
When everyone can get out and do a little camping "DO It":, it is good for your mind and soul. Jay :sunny

Old 03-13-2003, 05:57 PM   #6

This is just not fair.You all seen the size of those snow flakes I posted the other day.Well my Boler is under them.

:bh

Old 03-13-2003, 08:54 PM   #7

Spring Thaw

Still don't understand why people still live up there. We'll be waxing & washing this weekend. 73 degrees today.

Old 03-13-2003, 09:05 PM   #8

Dick
You will just have to come up here then you will know why.:wave

Old 03-13-2003, 09:20 PM   #9

Spring thaw, too

BC is probably a totally different issue, but I was born & raised in Michigan, & when I got a chance to move South in 1960, I boogied!! Still have some family up there, but don't see them too often. Hey...strokes & folks!! Enjoy!!

Old 03-13-2003, 09:25 PM   #10

Hi
I know why you moved south now.Michigan can be a cold spot.Any way we will Welcome you to BC.:wave

Old 03-14-2003, 01:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Orginally posted by Dick Rothfuss

Still don't understand why people still live up there. We'll be waxing & washing this weekend. 73 degrees today.

well we have N O H U R R I C A N E S ! ;)

Old 03-14-2003, 07:14 AM   #12

spring in Fl means wasp nests

I noted that wasp were getting ready to build a nest inside the exterior refer covers, bad news! I removed the covers, put on a piece of plastic bag, and re-installed them. The wasp are still buzzing around, but at least they can't get inside. Note to self: Remove plastic prior to energizing refer unit!

Old 03-14-2003, 07:27 AM   #13

>>wasps

Wow! Jerry! Thanks for the reminder! We have mud wasps around here.

It's a little early for them up North where I am ... but I like to spray a little wasp spray into my refrigerator and water heater exterior compartments from time to time, which seems to keep them at bay.

Also have the mud-wasp screens on the heater vents.

You also have to keep an eye any top opening vents you might have, such as the stand pipes for your water system.

Old 03-14-2003, 08:04 AM   #14

wasp- we have those, but have not seen them ..no I did see a red one two days ago. I have more trouble with the dobbers (daubers?)
how often do I need to spray. I had these things in the mh stuff all the time. NEVER once thought of the spray.

Old 03-14-2003, 06:39 PM   #15

Not Quite Time to Wash and Wax

It's not quite time to wash and wax our Scamp even tough it needs it badly. It is amazing how much dirt and crud accumulates during winter storage. :violin

With temperatures in the high 50's here in Saint Paul, it is time to move the trailer from the back yard to the driveway. This task is best completed before the ground thaws or well after it thaws and has had a chance to dry out. Otherwise, the ground is a mucky mess and moving the trailer will result in deep ruts in the lawn. :nono

:banana Here's to looking forward to our first camping trip - which would have been this weekend if we did not have other commitments.

-- Dan Meyer

Old 03-14-2003, 07:22 PM   #16

Hi All
I think we all are getting itchy feet.Snow bound too long.:wave

Old 03-16-2003, 04:07 PM   #17

remove caulk

I have heard people say scrape caulk for years. Nothing to it

Removing caulk from fiberglass without scratching up the jell coat requires specialized tools.

Before I start a caulk scraping session I go to my local fast food joint to eat and get a handful of plastic silverware.

You can use the plastic silverware unaltered, break them into exotic shapes, or file them to get into sharp corners. Make yourself a set of custom shaped scrapers

The price is right too.:huh :conf

Old 03-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #18

Mud daubers in vent pipes

Quote:
Orginally posted by Charles Watts
...You also have to keep an eye any top opening vents you might have, such as the stand pipes for your water system.
Just wanted bring this up front and center. Often times we read things but they get lost in the total discussion.

While bringing my trailer out of hibernation, I was going through checking everything. The water in the bathroom had been draining a little slow prior to winterizing, but forgot about it until today. I was thinking about Charles' comment and recalling that when I bought the trailer it had those mud nests all over the place. In, out, and everywhere. At the time, I didn't know about checking the vent pipe.

Today, I pulled off the cap to the vent pipe that services the drains (not the black tank). Sure enough...that pipe was completely closed off with a mud daubers nest.

Next time you're checking, be sure just to pop those caps off and make sure they are clear.

Old 03-18-2003, 08:12 AM   #19

>>vent pipe

Suz ... how did you (or how are you going to) clear the mud dauber nest out of your vent pipe?

Try using a wire coat hanger to "hook" part of it and pull it out, rather than push it down.

If you haven't cleared it, take some pix of your operation, ok?

Bet cleaning out the nest will make a big difference in how fast stuff drains!

Old 03-18-2003, 09:08 AM   #20

Removal

Coat hanger...what a brilliant idea. Unfortunately, I didn't think of that and my attempt to remove it caused it to drop. HOWEVER, It wasn't a problem for me. I finally found a plus to NOT having a gray water tank! ;) I took an old piece of gardenhose (without the ends) and used it like a snake to make sure the line was clear all the way to the bottom. I removed the small outlet spigot from the drain pipe then put a functional garden hose all the way down to the bottom of the vent pipe and turned on the water (NOT TOO MUCH) and began flushing the system. Sure enough, it came out in a couple of lumps. Just to make sure, I moved the hose up and down a few times (only a few inches...not past the lav drain or it will go into the lav). Then I removed the hose, turned on both cold water faucets inside the trailer, and used the hose in the exit pipe. Caution....do not leave the hose in there or leave the water on or it will back up in the shower -- I'm talking just a very little bit. Just enough to help with a push-pull thing to dislodge any remaining pieces. It now runs clear so I'm pretty confident that I got it all.

I checked my black water vent pipe, but was lucky on that one. Glad to know about the coat hanger trick for the day when it gets clogged.