Tire Pressure Monitor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #1

Name: Ken & Ellen
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 16 ft Deluxe
Indiana
Tire Pressure Monitor

Anyone use a tire pressure monitor on their camper? Seems like a good idea. Amazon has a Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System-Solar Charge, 5 Alarm Modes, Auto Backlight & Sleep & Awake Mode, Tire Position Exchange, with 4 External Tmps Sensor (0-87 psi) for $70. They recommend the much more expensive model for trailers but with a 16 ft Scamp i would think the reception distance of 40 ft would be fine with the cheaper one.

Any comments or suggestions?
KenEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenEllen View Post
Anyone use a tire pressure monitor on their camper? Seems like a good idea. Amazon has a Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System-Solar Charge, 5 Alarm Modes, Auto Backlight & Sleep & Awake Mode, Tire Position Exchange, with 4 External Tmps Sensor (0-87 psi) for $70. They recommend the much more expensive model for trailers but with a 16 ft Scamp i would think the reception distance of 40 ft would be fine with the cheaper one.

Any comments or suggestions?
For what it's worth here;s my view of aftermarket tire pressure monitors. All that I'm aware of attach to end of the valve stem and defeat the Schrader valve inside the valve stem.

The Schrader valve is designed to increase the seal as air pressure increases. When defeated by a device that keeps the Schrader valve open the seal is dependent on the condition of outer edge of the valve stem. They'll show you that there is a leak alright, now the question is where is the leak, is it where the device screws into the valve stem or someplace else?
Old 11-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
See https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ist-84348.html

IMHO Byron's concern of the device on the valve stem creating a leak is about 10,000 times less likely than the TPMS saving you from from a problem or damage. Especially if you use a quality TPMS such as TST, which is used by countless professional drivers. But I do strongly believe you should replace rubber valve stems with metal ones, or go to internal sensors.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
See https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ist-84348.html

IMHO Byron's concern of the device on the valve stem creating a leak is about 10,000 times less likely than the TPMS saving you from from a problem or damage. Especially if you use a quality TPMS such as TST, which is used by countless professional drivers. But I do strongly believe you should replace rubber valve stems with metal ones, or go to internal sensors.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #5

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I've been very happy with the TST. I ordered directly from them and they were easy to deal with. Seems to be a quality product and relieves some of the stress of towing. Recommended. https://tsttruck.com/
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
At one time TST sold a two transmitter package if one identified themselves as a Casita owner. I've had mine since 2015 or so. No Complaints. I replaced the batteries in the transmitters last year. Can't hurt to call and see if the same deal might still be available.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #7

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
^^^ Yes, they sold me the configuration I needed though it wasn't listed as a package on the website.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We have been using them for years. You tighten them up on the stem and they seal air tight. No air leaks at all. Have them on all 4 truck tires and on camper also. The readout is the PSI and the temperature. You set a threshold and if it reaches your threshold the monitor warns you. For Us, We think they are well worth it. I also have a IR Temp device that I use to take hub readings when we stop, It works well also.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #9

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
I have used the TST system for several years on my Casita. It does provide a little bit of piece of mind by showing the pressure and temperature. However, be aware that the system does not show the pressure/temperature continuously. Instead they only report about every couple of minutes. Thus, they only are useful for detecting a slow leak or gradual temperature increase (and temperature is strongly affected by road temperature or even sunlight (the sunny side tire temperature will be substantially higher).

The system mentioned as being available on Amazon even points out that their monitors do not detect anything except gradual deflation or temperature increase. However, they do no say how often the pressure/temperature is transmitted.

If they state that and if it is similar to the TST interval, then the system would be a well priced option. I have had problems with the TST monitors going dead, even after installing a new battery. So the Amazon system would give you two back-up monitors that could be used if one of your two trailer tire monitors goes dead.

Finally, in my experience and observation, most tire problems on trailers are sudden, and any of the available TPMS will not help you avoid the problem. I had a sudden blow-out on an Interstate and my TST monitor gave me no warning. That was with a Kumho tire that, at the time, was the tire that was considered to be the best at the time. Apparently it suddenly delaminated and blew out before the TST could detect or transmit the problem.

As a matter of fact, I have not heard of anyone avoiding a tire failure because they had a TPMS. But it does give some psychological comfort.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:33 PM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
I have used the TST system for several years ...However, be aware that the system does not show the pressure/temperature continuously. Instead they only report about every couple of minutes. ...
True, IIRC its about five minutes. That is covered in the write up that I did and to which I linked to above. The reason of course is that constant sampling, or almost constant, would drain the sensor batteries too fast to make the devices practical.

Quote:
Finally, in my experience and observation, most tire problems on trailers are sudden, and any of the available TPMS will not help you avoid the problem. I had a sudden blow-out on an Interstate and my TST monitor gave me no warning. ....
A few points..
First.. I think that most tire problems are caused by under-inflation. Low pressure causes the tire to heat up too much and fail. The fail might be sudden but the symptom of low pressure would have existed for some time, long enough for the TPMS to alert you.

The exception is a road hazard. A nail for example that causes a sudden blow out (even though the tire was properly inflated). In this case the TPMS might not alert you in time to prevent the blow out, but in my experience even a nail in the tire usually (but not always), causes a slower leak. Many times I have found a screw or nail in my tire but the tire still held up for days or weeks.

Lastly, and perhaps most important for you.. the TST system reports every five minutes or so, but also will instantly report a total loss of pressure. Just remove a sensor with the receiver still on and you should get an alarm within about one second - every time. So even with a sudden blowout in which you can't stop in time to prevent damage, the TST system should still alarm even if it might not be much help in that situation because it happened too fast. Perhaps you had a defective TPMS.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I have not heard of anyone avoiding a tire failure because they had a TPMS. But it does give some psychological comfort.
Well of course there are many people who have avoided a tire failure because their TPMS alerted them to a low tire pressure. In fact some have reported alerts simply because the pressure got low when the outdoor temperature took a nose dive. Of course most of those likely forgot to check the pressure before each trip or when the temperature dropped a lot.

And if you read the thread I started, that I linked to above, you will see that my properly inflated tire started to disintegrate and lose pressure at normal highway speed, and the TPMS alarmed as the pressure dropped, and I got pulled over with a basically flat tire but before it sent chucks of high speed tire through the walls of my fiberglass camper. A TPMS is Insurance and it paid off for me! But its not a guarantee.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #11

Name: R.R.
Trailer: Escape 21
California
X2 TST. Just had another screw in my TV's tire; twice now in three months. Fortunately the TV has TPMS and I got a warning and was able to drive to my tire store. Seems more important with my trailer and glad to have the TST now for over four years with no problems.
Osos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:31 PM   #12

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
No, I talked to TST, and they acknowledged that their system cannot provide much warning about a sudden loss of pressure when a tire failed. In my case, I remember feeling the tire shaking, and almost instantly the TST warning signal came on...too late for me to have done anything. Fortunately, I was in the right side lane, and there was room to pull off the road. I am just trying to alert people to not have unrealistic expectations. Yes, it is a good thing, and probably worth the price to be sure when you start out pulling your trailer that a tire has not become underinflated after the last time you checked it.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
No, I talked to TST, and they acknowledged that their system cannot provide much warning about a sudden loss of pressure when a tire failed. In my case, I remember feeling the tire shaking, and almost instantly the TST warning signal came on...too late for me to have done anything. ....
So in your case it did work. The tire was properly inflated and the TMPS reported it as such, until the instant it was not and then the alarm sounded. Of course the TPMS cannot foretell a road hazard or a defect in the tire construction if they cause a sudden failure. But the danger is that in some cases drivers are not aware of a trailer tire failure (they don't feel the shaking that you did). And in those cases they keep driving while the tire disintegrates and shoots shrapnel into the body of the camper. Its that extensive damage over a longer distance that the TPMS in alarm can reduce or maybe eliminate alltogether.

But you are correct about expectations, and one of the things you should not expect is timely notice if there is a loss of signal. It can take around 50 minutes to show the loss of signal. In the meantime it displays the last reading it did recieve. I described that here. I guess that is why they started including the repeater with the kits. I use the repeater even though I have never had a problem with loss of signal.

All good info.. Its been a couple of days.. I wonder of the OP is still around and has any response.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #14

And if you did not have the monitoring system, the same thing would have happened. My screw on monitor system will alert me when the pressure goes lower by 5PSI and if the tire gets to hot. It will not do that with a blowout.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #15

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Ken I have the TST monitors. Ken asks, does anyone think a 4 wheel sensor for $ 70. is a worthy choice. I would say " what you pay, is what you get." I bought the the 2 wheel monitors on Amazon. I did not buy a total package; I then went to the TST.com site and bought a receiver. I saved just about $50. If I tried to get a 2 wheel monitor kit on Amazon, It cost well over $200 close to $300 +.
Another kind of tire failure I had ( I did not have TST at the time), I had what I thought were good tires about 12,000 + miles. On the driver side the tire delaminated it did not blow out. it whipped a band of delaminated tread around the outside of the wheel well and tore the door off the electrical cord compartment cover. No tire deflation occurred, no fiberglass broken. I was so thankful there was nothing damaged.
I read Gordon's post.
Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
And if you did not have the monitoring system, the same thing would have happened. My screw on monitor system will alert me when the pressure goes lower by 5PSI and if the tire gets to hot. It will not do that with a blowout.
If the air blows out (a blowout) then the pressure will drop a lot more than 5 psi, so you get the alert. In most cases, especially with road hazards, tires do not explode or loose all air in a second. It usually takes at least a minute or two. And many times the drivers are unaware of a flat trailer tire. I've seen people drive for some distance with a flat trailer tire that was coming apart. So the alert might help one stop the rig before the tire starts coming apart and throwing a lot shrapnel into the camper. Thats how it worked for my last blowout. Only one chunk of rubber was loose but it was still attached to the tire. If I did not have the TPMS then the tire would have gotten ripped apart at 65 MPH. So, its like the smoke detector in your home. It won't alert you the moment a fire starts, but it will prevent you from sleeping with the fire burning for so long that you never wake up.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #17

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
I used this first on a Casita and then on a 21’ Escape.
Did what it was supposed to do; monitor tire pressure. Easily replaceable inexpensive batteries. I changed them once a year when I changed the other alarm batteries.

The solar charged monitor is nice because that’s one less cord dangling around.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085C2HMQP...v_ov_lig_dp_it
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEd View Post

The solar charged monitor is nice because that’s one less cord dangling around.
I have this TST monitor and it has a cord for powering from the vehicle, but the internal battery lasts a very long time. Even for trip of a week or more I only needed to charge it before leaving and it ran all the time I was driving just fine. Even on a very long trip, it just needs a few hours at camp every week or two to charge up. I have never used the car cord.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
If the air blows out (a blowout) then the pressure will drop a lot more than 5 psi, so you get the alert. In most cases, especially with road hazards, tires do not explode or loose all air in a second. It usually takes at least a minute or two. And many times the drivers are unaware of a flat trailer tire. I've seen people drive for some distance with a flat trailer tire that was coming apart. So the alert might help one stop the rig before the tire starts coming apart and throwing a lot shrapnel into the camper. Thats how it worked for my last blowout. Only one chunk of rubber was loose but it was still attached to the tire. If I did not have the TPMS then the tire would have gotten ripped apart at 65 MPH. So, its like the smoke detector in your home. It won't alert you the moment a fire starts, but it will prevent you from sleeping with the fire burning for so long that you never wake up.

A leak will trigger the monitor. When a tire gets to low on air it gets hot and then you will ruin the tire and they will look like the pictures in the attachment. I grew up in the days of bad tires 50s/60s and we had total blow outs. Check this site for what a blow out looks like.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tire...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 11-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Ken, that's the same system I put on our new Escape 19. It seems to be working fine and at a glance I can see that the tire pressures are where I expect them to be. It also shows the temperature at the tire valve measuring point so if one of your tires starts to overheat you will be able to see it and then find out why it's overheating.
On our two tire Scamp I ended up putting the two extra sensors on the Scamp spare tire and the tow vehicle spare tire since the device is looking for 4 tires.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote