tired of crawling over partner, any suggestions? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #21

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
That's one reason I looked for my Eriba - a lengthwise bed in the back of the trailer.
I almost bought a Fiberstream but it was too heavy for the tow vehicle I had at the time. The Fiberstreams are nice trailers.

Nice!
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #22

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Crawl under instead of over?

Sorry! Couldn't resist.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Will

Even the 21' Bigfoot has a bed that is up against a wall on one side. Which is why I was doomed to buy a 25' as soon as Nancy saw one for the first time. A bed you can walk around on three sides is a luxury we only imagined when we had a Scamp and Casita and the 21' Bigfoot.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #24

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Crawl over

I assume that you are not interested in a bunk bed? don't know how to solve your dog problem? I use a full-size van to tow my T4500. The van has a very comfortable bed inside allowing each person to get up (no crawl over). It also eliminates having to take the dining table down at night to make the bed and gives us much more storage space. I have never understood the pick-up craze? All your stuff gets wet or stolen and the interior feels crowded as the trucks get bigger every year and seem to have less useable space.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:36 AM   #25

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The 17' and later 17.5' Bigfoots are overall lengths, hitch to bumper.

Walt
Old 07-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #26

SW Virginia
Deleted
Old 07-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #27

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Why not simply sleep in two beds . My wife or a male friend use the table bed , while I use the front . I removed the bunk set up , added a 4" custom mattress which gives me a twin sized bed .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #28

SW Virginia
The newer Independence model by Casita might offer a solution with a modification to fill in the gap between the twins. Take a look.

Independence 17' | Casita Travel Trailers - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailers!

Walt
Old 07-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #29

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Casita independence - if you have a memory foam on top AND want to sleep together (not 2 separate beds - yuck - Honeymoon still not over after 37 years) , how much trouble to fold the foam and blankets back and use the table? Doesn't look doable. Foam doesn't fold easily and would not want to give that up. (Maybe 2 pieces of foam?).
On our rear bed 21 Bigfoot, you don't crawl over the other. Rather the one next to the outer wall has to scoot down to foot of bed and push the other's feet over a little. Much easier than our old 16 scamp side dinette or 17 Casita Spirit.
Sounds like the 25 Bigfoot is what you want
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #30

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Eggcamper
New York
EggCamper w/split mattress

Hi, we have an EggCamper with the split mattress option. We can have it two ways. We can put the side dinette down(one mattress half goes there) and take out one of the plywood platforms that we use for the double bed options, stow it away and have two cot size beds which are easy to get out of at night and gives more floor space overall. Or we can have the dinette up and the other more cozy option with both mattresses together...works well for us.
Lisa Fingerlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
JLCCa

Casita Liberty 16/17 makes a twin bed version with walk way in between.
JLCCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #32

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
People have added assorted extensions to the rear dinette beds to make them a lengthwise bed. Only walkway width can be extended and only in the middle but for folks over 6 ft. it provided some actual room for the feet.

A scamp the counter is ~24 inches deep, the closet ~16 so about 1/2 the beds 6ft side to side can be as extended into the walk area as far as you wish.

Have seen photos of slide out board mounted under table with legs, free standing, and I think I recall a clip on with flip out legs that attached to the table edge. All made the bed center long enough to sleep front to back rather than side to side.

I gave some thought to cutting slot in some boards that I could then insert the edges in a cross to set a bed extension on. Something along the lines of this step stool. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f70a4a85ff.jpg More likely to happen if I ever re-do the cushions.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #33

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
OK, I'm going to say this. If it's the peeing that's the issue, we have it solved. (We solved this years ago when we had our GetAway Van with one double bed and no way out for the insider but over).

We found a hospital urine bottle for a man, a nice, smooth, wide-mouthed medical bottle (it had measuring marks on the outside for urine volume) at a 2nd hand store. We scrubbed it up and Paul tucks it between the mattress and the wall to hold it up right, though it really doesn't leak. Whatever works best for you) Paul, as the man and owner of it, HAS to be on the inside as I get up far more often than he does, so he has his bottle and I have a quick escape.

It's bad enough to wake on your own for this--to have to wake up every time the other person has to go, too, is too much.

AND...we have two little dogs, the elder of which also has "going" needs, so we have some pretty frisky nights. But climbing over each other is OUT of the question.

Best luck with all this! It's a solution that doesn't require you to get a new rig.

Kai in Seattle
(Kathleen near Renton)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #34

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I found using separate blankets a lot more comfy, you won`t bother your partner when you climb over to use bathroom. I sleep on the inside, wife sleeps on the outside. B/C she says i have longer legs. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Sorry Will, no other suggestions - the Escape 21 does it for us - no crawl over, big dinette in back and usable size bath.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I found using separate blankets a lot more comfy, you won`t bother your partner when you climb over to use bathroom. I sleep on the inside, wife sleeps on the outside. B/C she says i have longer legs. Carl
Does this not mean that your sleep on the outside, against the wall, and your partner sleeps on the inside?

On our house and trailer the outside is..... well, outside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #37

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Does this not mean that your sleep on the outside, against the wall, and your partner sleeps on the inside?

On our house and trailer the outside is..... well, outside.
Quote:
The Modern Hiawatha
Anonymous

HE killed the noble Mudjokivis.
Of the skin he made him mittens,
Made them with the fur side inside,
Made them with the skin side outside.
He, to get the warm side inside,
Put the inside skin side outside;
He, to get the cold side outside,
Put the warm side fur side inside.
That ’s why he put the fur side inside,
Why he put the skin side outside,
Why he turned them inside outside.
/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #38

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
OK, I'm going to say this. If it's the peeing that's the issue, we have it solved. (We solved this years ago when we had our GetAway Van with one double bed and no way out for the insider but over).

We found a hospital urine bottle for a man, a nice, smooth, wide-mouthed medical bottle (it had measuring marks on the outside for urine volume) at a 2nd hand store. We scrubbed it up and Paul tucks it between the mattress and the wall to hold it up right, though it really doesn't leak. Whatever works best for you) Paul, as the man and owner of it, HAS to be on the inside as I get up far more often than he does, so he has his bottle and I have a quick escape.

It's bad enough to wake on your own for this--to have to wake up every time the other person has to go, too, is too much.

AND...we have two little dogs, the elder of which also has "going" needs, so we have some pretty frisky nights. But climbing over each other is OUT of the question.

Best luck with all this! It's a solution that doesn't require you to get a new rig.

Kai in Seattle
(Kathleen near Renton)
Necessity is indeed the mother of invention. Ha ha!

Recently, we went on a two-week fairly rugged tent-camping trip to Southern Africa. (No, not in one of those house-size glamping tents with king-size beds and bathrooms!) Our tents were 6'x6'x4', just enough space for two and their gear. After being warned of the LARGE CARNIVOROUS (and elephants) wild animals that are active at night I was mighty scared to go out in the dark to pee in the Western bathroom a walk away. Well upon hearing this, my DH immediately proceeded to use an extra water bottle in the middle of the night. This was not an option for me, however. I made do by “holding it” as long as possible or jumping out as I do when backpacking. I learned to be very fast. When I got back home I was motivated to find out how females might pee in a tent without having a chance of "spillage". This is the "discreet" video I found. Too bad I did not have access to these simple supplies while on our Africa trip. Mind you, I do not suggest this method unless absolutely necessary. I do appreciate my porta-pottie.

Hey, it all worked out for me in Africa and I did not get eaten! I totally recommend a rugged tent-camping trip in Africa as we had amazing experiences, saw amazing creatures, amazing scenery and amazing people.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
That's six minutes and 13 seconds I'll never get back.
Five words: "I pee in a jug".
Old 07-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
In the HC1 the wife goes out the front door and I go out the back door ,no crawling over unless of course the mood strikes , to crawl over that is.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote