TIRES - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I would put a LOT more effort into finding a tire dealer that treats me right rather than excessively worrying about which name brand tire I was buying. Hopefully the tire dealer would earn my trust my giving me as much honest information as they have about the tires, both those that they stock, and those which can be ordered by them or the customer.

I had some doubts about Discount Tire Co largely because of their name.. I did not want to scrimp or"cheap out" when it came time to buy tires. But I have now been a repeatedly repeat customer of Discount Tire Co. because they have in fact earned my business every time. They will negotiate prices, they will provide good service and sometimes for free, they have a good network, they will deal with any tires I bring to them, etc. If that changes, I would bail in a heartbeat, but at present I see no reason to go anywhere else.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
NO Carol!! I wasnt clear on that. I simply wanted to go look at the "tire" at Walmart. They dont have those unmounted. That's why I posted the link to DT.

FWIW, I had a battery installed one time at a Walmart and they literally left bolts out of braces on my Lumina!! (years ago). So I dont trust them personally.

But again, being Labor Day here in the states, we were off from work and Walmart was about the ONLY place open today to look at tires. DT and most other tire places here or near my town were closed for the holiday. So tomorrow is when the rubber meets the road! (oh man..did I just say that?? )

[QUOTE=Carol H;607552]Is there are reason you are wishing to purchase mounted ones?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Plus one for Lyle and Dave and Gordon's experiences with established dealers vs. trying to divine a course of action from previous owners.

I guess it matters how much of the tire's load rating you are utilizing with your particular trailer. Off-roading might also be a factor for some.

But overall, in my two-year horizon, I expect aging-out to continue to precede 'death by tread wear'. So I'm not personally concerned with finding anything "special" as much as I am looking for something well-supported by a dealer network.

If I were to double my investment, I think I would put the money into a TPMS for the trailer. My tow vehicle recently posted me when an unpatched plug (from previous ownership) suddenly failed. I liked that.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:49 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Plus one for Lyle and Dave and Gordon's experiences with established dealers vs. trying to divine a course of action from previous owners.
Thanks for the comment Mike, I should have added that the first set I bought from him was in 1971. I've purchased many from DT also but I really trust the info and experience from the small tire shops that you have a history with.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #25

Marathons had a serious issue back a few years ago. If you'd called a dealer, I guarantee you they would have explained it away! But users were blowing them left and right as they say!

So, as I do anything in life, my personal preference is to talk to users that have experienced tires on the road where it counts- not in the showroom. Then I'll make the best conscientious decision I can and go with it.

I'll determine today what I'm buying. As of right now from DT.

Below is a photo of my tire's dry rot. It's smack in the middle of the sidewall where it's most dangerous. Lift up a small piece of the rubber and you can see "white" under...cords most likely.

Quote:

I guess it matters how much of the tire's load rating you are utilizing with your particular trailer. Off-roading might also be a factor for some.

But overall, in my two-year horizon, I expect aging-out to continue to precede 'death by tread wear'. So I'm not personally concerned with finding anything "special" as much as I am looking for something well-supported by a dealer network.

If I were to double my investment, I think I would put the money into a TPMS for the trailer. My tow vehicle recently posted me when an unpatched plug (from previous ownership) suddenly failed. I liked that.
Attached Thumbnails
DICO Tire  Dry Rot.jpg  
Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #26

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Marathons had a serious issue back a few years ago. If you'd called a dealer, I guarantee you they would have explained it away! But users were blowing them left and right as they say!

So, as I do anything in life, my personal preference is to talk to users that have experienced tires on the road where it counts- not in the showroom. Then I'll make the best conscientious decision I can and go with it.

I'll determine today what I'm buying. As of right now from DT.

Below is a photo of my tire's dry rot. It's smack in the middle of the sidewall where it's most dangerous. Lift up a small piece of the rubber and you can see "white" under...cords most likely.
Dealers have financial motive to indicate all is good. Owners have an motivation to not appear at fault for their part in the equation.

I have an independent mechanic shop whose guy replaced the wrong front axle on our Passat. Apparently he looked at the car from the front and replaced the "right" axle, which was the driver's side and not the one intended for replacement. So, before I even came to pick up the car, the shop proceeded to replace the correct axle at no additional charge when the mistake was noted. They could have charged me for both and told me "yeah, we found the other one was bad too." There have been a couple of other events where I feel their integrity shone through.

I won't go on too long about the dealership that tried to sell me some $2,500 worth of catalytic converter replacement. I declined the repair, found a sensor wire disconnected, and cured the problem with a $35 purge valve. I figured a bad cat is usually a victim of other malfunctions, not a cause. One year later and all is still good. Dishonest? I cannot absolutely 100% say for sure, but I have not and will never go back there.

Sometimes it's a toss up and you just have to pick the devil you know.

But there is one thing that we can both agree on for sure. Looking at what you've got there, there is no doubt, and I can absolutely guarantee you, that your new tires are going to be a terrific improvement! And I do mean any new tires!

Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #27

Yessir...like choosing the lesser of the two evils!

Quote:
Sometimes it's a toss up and you just have to pick the devil you know.

But there is one thing that we can both agree on for sure. Looking at what you've got there, there is no doubt, and I can absolutely guarantee you, that your new tires are going to be a terrific improvement! And I do mean any new tires!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #28

North Carolina
Quote:
Dealers have financial motive to indicate all is good. ...
True.. in part. My point was that a dealer who puts long term customer satisfaction first and foremost is your best route to getting the best tires (or most anything else).

Dealers who always claim all is good will soon be shown to put their profits first, and that will lead to a loss of both customers and profits. When someone tells me "we carry that brand but there are better options," that speaks volumes. If I find evidence that a product the dealer carries is inferior but they won't admit it, then I go on to find someone that I can put more trust in.

So while many companies put short term profits first, the ones who put customers first usually do better in the long term.

Thats why I was surprised to find a "Discount" tire dealer that seemed to put customer satisfaction first.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #29

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
. . . So while many companies put short term profits first, the ones who put customers first usually do better in the long term.

Thats why I was surprised to find a "Discount" tire dealer that seemed to put customer satisfaction first.
The original 'Discount Tire' may have begun by selling tires at a discount (from nominal retail price), and may still do, but by now it's mainly the trade name of a chain of tire stores, not a description. You want a high-end tire at a high-end price, I'm sure they'll sell it to you.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I know this is a "tiring" subject---

Ok...it’s come my time. I was airing up my 8 yo DICO’s and see dry rot. I know...that’s way past the suggested 4-5 yr date. ....
Assuming for the moment that the "Logan's Run" method of tire maintenance is appropriate....
I know you have used the number loosely but seriously...
Just who suggests 4-5 years? What are his credentials? Are they better than those who say 3 years? or those who say 6 years? or those who say 10 years?
(Ten years now being the general standard for refusing to mount a tire)

If "Logan" must arbitrarily enter the carousel to be "renewed" (re-tired) shouldn't he know at least when to turn himself in?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #31

I've spoken to Gateway Tire and Discount Tire here in my county. They've priced me everything but the ones we've mentioned! DT tells me ALL the tires are made in China for trailers now. I've never heard of any of the following tires until now..... One thing I feel like I have going for me is, my trailer is NOT hard on tires. The treads still look basically new after 10K miles. So I'm not sure it's going to matter which brand... change'm in 5 yrs for $120 and forget it! Opinions?

DT- Heartland tires $138 out the door. (was higher originally but when I told him about Gateway, he dropped the price )

Gateway-
Omni Trail $118 out the door (he suggested I will get just as good of service out of these as I will the following he quoted)

Duro- $146 out the door. (meaning mounted/balanced)
Old 09-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #32

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Opinions?
Get three if you are carrying a spare.

One of each, three of one kind, anything Darral, just get rid of those rotten tires!

I have not been able to un-see them all morning here.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #33

Now THAT was funny "Guy". Believe me, I'm going to be "Civil" about it and replace them before it rolls out of my driveway again. But I will say this and to me it's weird. I checked the other side (drivers) and the tire looks NEW...no sign of dry rot whatsoever. Same with the spare. Believe me I checked it with a flashlight and magnifying glass. Funny I know.

About the Maxxis tire...whewww... they were out the ROOF in pricing. Double the others. Double the quality? This was at DT and they said they would order anything I need.

I HATE making decisions like this.

To throw yet ANOTHER mix in- Kenda. If you go to eTrailer, they have a very high rating. I just DONT want a pre-mounted tire on a rim I dont need!

Karrier ST175/80R13 Radial Trailer Tire with 13" White Wheel - 5 on 4-1/2 - Load Range D Kenda Tires and Wheels AM31985

Quote:
Get three if you are carrying a spare.

One of each, three of one kind, anything Darral, just get rid of those rotten tires!

I have not been able to un-see them all morning here.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #34

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Just a thought, you might ask what the available date codes are on the tires at the different dealers.

Buy 'em like tomatoes and try to get the freshest ones - ?

I don't know how your loading is vs. your size range there on the Scamp. eTrailer does have a bunch with tires only (no wheels). There's a mix of radials and bias ply and the load ranges and capacities vary quite a bit.

Tire Only 13 Inch Tires and Wheels | etrailer.com

(Please check that I got the size right.)

So, maybe "freshness" and load ranges to narrow down the choices - ?

On edit: At up to 65 psi you would want to be sure your rims could handle the pressure. I hear they are stamped on the inside - ? I've never paid any attention because I have just run compatible tires (~35 psi) on cars and light trucks all these years.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #35

I DID think to check the date on the Carlisles at Walmart yesterday and they were 3016! (Fresh as you say). I noticed on the DICO's that are on my Scamp were "08" so they were nearly 2 yrs old when I bought the Scamp new!

That's a good idea though and I agree 100%. All the tires I've checked so far are C-rated which is also what's on my Scamp @ 1360 lbs each. My Scamp weighs MAX 1800 when she rolls. So remove the apx 175 lb tongue weight and the tires have PLENTY of "safety margin" or at least they do in my opinion. (I had my Scamp weighed when new and I do NOT travel with any water in the tanks OR water heater).

Quote:
Just a thought, you might ask what the available date codes are on the tires at the different dealers.

Buy 'em like tomatoes and try to get the freshest ones - ?

I don't know how your loading is vs. your size range there on the Scamp. eTrailer does have a bunch with tires only (no wheels). There's a mix of radials and bias ply and the load ranges and capacities vary quite a bit.

Tire Only 13 Inch Tires and Wheels | etrailer.com

(Please check that I got the size right.)

So, maybe "freshness" and load ranges to narrow down the choices - ?

On edit: At up to 65 psi you would want to be sure your rims could handle the pressure. I hear they are stamped on the inside - ? I've never paid any attention because I have just run compatible tires (~35 psi) on cars and light trucks all these years.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #36

North Carolina
Quote:
I DID think to check the date on the Carlisles at Walmart yesterday and they were 3016!
Those tires are meant to be mounted on a Delorean, not a travel trailer. You might get a discount if you buy a flux capacitor at the same time.

Quote:
I noticed on the DICO's that are on my Scamp were "08" so they were nearly 2 yrs old when I bought the Scamp new!

That's a good idea though and I agree 100%. All the tires I've checked so far are C-rated which is also what's on my Scamp @ 1360 lbs each. My Scamp weighs MAX 1800 when she rolls. So remove the apx 175 lb tongue weight and the tires have PLENTY of "safety margin" or at least they do in my opinion. (I had my Scamp weighed when new and I do NOT travel with any water in the tanks OR water heater).
My Greenball tires on the new Scamp were almost ten months old when I picked up the camper. They are the same rating (1360 each) but my trailer's weight is within 300-400 lbs of that.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #37

Ok Gordy I surrender! I may be slow on jokes...but I've completely missed the "Delorean"!?!?!

[QUOTE=gordon2;607702]

Those tires are meant to be mounted on a Delorean, not a travel trailer. You might get a discount if you buy a flux capacitor at the same time.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #38

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Tires dated 3016; I had the same reaction even though I know tires are dated week/week/year/year.

Think YYYY instead of WWYY.

On edit: Jon, I may type faster but sometimes more worser.

Months are now corrected to weeks now.

Whew!

Old 09-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
"3016" is read as the 30th week of 2016, which is mid-July on my calendar. No Delorean needed.

EDIT- Mike, guess you type faster than I do!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #40

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Tires dated 3016; I had the same reaction even though I know tires are dated month/month/year/year.

Think YYYY instead of MMYY.

Not month/month the 30 means the 30th week of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires