TIRES - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 09:51 AM   #61

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I think I found date code on tires. On same line as DOT info. I think it's 1111 but not sure.

If so tires were made week of March 14, 2011 which will put them at 6 years old next camping season. Have not checked spare. Here's pic:

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1473609091277.jpg  
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #62

New York
Registry
They're Carlisle super trails which I can't see show up on Google. Kenda comes up at e trailer. Seem about 80 bucks a piece. 5 on 4-1/2 bolt pattern

Old 09-12-2016, 06:31 AM   #63

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wendy, you are right on the 1111 tires. After learning much about tires, that's how I realized that Scamp had put 2 yo tires on my trailer new out of the factory! The decision calling for new tires from 4-6 yo is going to be a TOUGH one for most owners. But with me, the dryrot was a no-brainer. (Not to mention the fact they were 8 yo!)

I can only give my opinion, but I would/will pay the difference over Carlisle and get the Maxxis tires- and I base that on my all my last-week-long research.

I would advise looking at the "Simple tire" link I sent earlier as it lists MOST of the available trailer tires for our 13' trailers in the 13" range. But also, go out and look up the most well-known brands mentioned in forums. From my experience, they include: Marathons (Good Year), Carlisle, Maxxis, Kumho, Kenda....and a ton of others. But the ones I listed are the ones I've heard about over the past 7 yrs that I've been into trailers.

Ironically, AFTER I ordered my tires on Weds/Thurs, I found a GOOD article in the latest Trailer Life mag that Bob Livingston did on Maxxis. One thing that he mentions- Maxxis OWNS their factory in Thailand and does have another manufacturer make their tires and just mold their name on it. They own the MOLDS. They also add more rubber. THIS I confirmed by the weight of the tires on "Simple Tires" site by clicking on each tire brand and looking towards the bottom at the "Specifications" tab. Maxxis out weighs any other tire listed.

Finally, I was in MS this weekend visiting my daughter and family. My son in law tells me he has MAXXIS on his big Chevy truck and sure enough he did. Maxxis "Buckheads". It was a huge mud tire. I look at it and yep, it's made in Thailand. He had NO complaints.

What EVER tire you request, demand the latest "DATE" you can find. I found that to be one of the hardest things to accomplish unless you have a dealer that has the tires you want and can walk back and confirm the date code. The Omni Trail tires I was looking at locally were 2016 tires. I didnt have that luck with my local Discount Tire when I called and asked them what they were going to order in the Maxxis. That's when I found "Real Deal Tires" (as per Maxxis suggestion!) and ordered them online. They'll arrive here tomorrow via FED EX. The proof will be in the pudding.

FWIW, my second choice of tires was going to be "KENDA" based on reviews out of eTrailer.com's site and from forums as well.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #64

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
What EVER tire you request, demand the latest "DATE" you can find. I found that to be one of the hardest things to accomplish unless you have a dealer that has the tires you want and can walk back and confirm the date code. The Omni Trail tires I was looking at locally were 2016 tires. I didnt have that luck with my local Discount Tire when I called and asked them what they were going to order in the Maxxis. That's when I found "Real Deal Tires" (as per Maxxis suggestion!) and ordered them online. They'll arrive here tomorrow via FED EX. The proof will be in the pudding.
While I certainly agree that buying tires with the most recent date code is best, I would not lose any sleep over a few months more or less on new tires. New tires properly stored in a warehouse are not exposed to UV or most of the other things that age tires faster once they are put in service. If the difference were only a few months, then proper storage (and brand) would be the more important considerations, but how they were stored is something you will likely never know about.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #65

That's why I said "2016". I'm trying to remember WHICH place I called- Gateway or Discount Tire- that told me their warehouse could have tires up to two years old! I was basically told that's an "industry" standard!?1? It makes sense as my Scamp's tires were '08 in '10- the date of manufacturer of my trailer. Kinda funny now as I didnt give it a second thought until I started reading up on trailer tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
While I certainly agree that buying tires with the most recent date code is best, I would not lose any sleep over a few months more or less on new tires. New tires properly stored in a warehouse are not exposed to UV or most of the other things that age tires faster once they are put in service. If the difference were only a few months, then proper storage (and brand) would be the more important considerations, but how they were stored is something you will likely never know about.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #66

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think the date code on a tire tells you when it was made, and that it's a leap to say that it indicates when a tire expires. If the tire was properly stored, out of the elements, then one should use the date of purchase to determine when it needs replacement. Some retailers may tell you otherwise, to their benefit.

I bought a propane alarm that has a similar date code on the back. Distributor told me that the 5-year replacement advisory starts when the alarm is installed, not from the date of manufacture.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #67

That is true....but Gordy had a point.... how it was STORED for those 2 yrs (if that's the case) is the issue....and one we'll never know.

Case-in-hand..... Many years ago, wife -as she still does- bought me Coca Colas. She bought them at a now defunct "Red Foods" store. They were FLAT! This happened 2 weeks in a row. I told her NO more. But, I decided to call Coca Cola. What happened surprised me. They told me they had had alot of cokes stored in a warehouse near the top where it was hot. It caused the gas to escape (soda pops WILL ruin over time if not used). They said it was impossible to recall all that was out there and they didnt know where they would pop up next. He said, "Before you give up, let me bring you some fresh ones". They brought me a CASE of fresh 2-ltr cokes- some of the best I've ever drank! A Coca Cola rep delivered them to my door.

The manufacturer may NOT store their tires improperly, but MAXXIS admitted to me that they have NO control over how/where their distributors store the tires after they're shipped from their warehouses.

That was my point and still is, try to order the newest possible- at least for trailers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think the date code on a tire tells you when it was made, and that it's a leap to say that it indicates when a tire expires. If the tire was properly stored, out of the elements, then one should use the date of purchase to determine when it needs replacement. Some retailers may tell you otherwise, to their benefit.

I bought a propane alarm that has a similar date code on the back. Distributor told me that the 5-year replacement advisory starts when the alarm is installed, not from the date of manufacture.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #68

One of our posters on this topic sent me this link and I think it's worth sharing. To me, "Knowledge is Power". I enjoy studying up on what ever I'm going to purchase or do- especially when it comes to something as crucial as the tires. Enjoy.

https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/1...s-vs-lt-tires/
Old 09-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #69

New York
Registry
Thank you for your most helpful and thoughtful reply Darral. My trailer was sold to the PO in October of 2012 which means tires were in Scamp warehouse storage for about a year and a half.

I will read up on tire purchase info and decide next spring when I get her out of storage. My tires only have about 4000 miles on them if that. But...I just had axle changed out and curbside was running on negative camber for a while due to bent spindle. That factor alone makes me lean toward "yes" to new tires.

Other question about spare...never used and stored on back of trailer under tire cover. Does that help with UV aging? Not trying to cheap out, Just wondering.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #70

CORRECTION: POST #63

I just read back through post #63 from yesterday morning and realized I shouldnt have typed it til I had my coffee. I made the statement about the article I read so let me correct something I mis-typed in the FOURTH paragraph!!:

** MAXXIS DOES NOT have another manufacturer make their tires and put their name on it!! **

I regret I cant edit the post but it's too late so hopefully this will help. I know it's confusing reading, but anyway it happens.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #71

They're in and mounted/balanced. I mentioned before about reading the "MAXXIS Tires" article in the latest issue of Trailer Life. He mentioned about the tires being stronger since they have 3 continuous "ribs" that's runs the entire perimeter of the tires...or at least these 13" Tires have 3.

Also, there's been alot of talk back and forth about "balancing" trailer tires. After seeing the weights they put on these wheels...well...makes me to wonder HOW these would have ran without them? May never know. I was concerned about my chrome rims fitting on the wheels (You can see the rust spots where they dig into the wheels). But I guess they were designed to ride over weights as they fit fine. One of the wheels have weights on the front AND back of the wheel...wow.

Here's some pics showing my old DICO spare (never been ran) and the ribs on the new MAXXIS 8008's.

Also, Discount Tire REALLY did me well through a wild miscommunication that's explained on another thread I started earlier. Here's a link to it called "MAXXIS Tires available":
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post609094
Attached Thumbnails
DICO spare- 175_80R13 Tire.jpg   Maxxis 175_80R13 Tire.jpg  

Maxxis on 13in Wheel balanced.jpg  
Old 09-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #72

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
That is a surprising amount of weights for balancing such small tires!

Do not believe the small tires on my old Scamp ever required that amount, although they did have a couple of small weights on them. I have no doubt though that some of the tire wear issues we read about here are the result of unbalanced tires though. Many tire shops will not normally balance trailer tires unless asked to do so.

How did it tow home? Notice any difference?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #73

Kinda funny you ask. They're still sitting in my shop unmounted. The studs on my hubs seemed pretty stubborn when I removed the nuts and I'd like to "chase" them a bit before reinstalling the wheel to keep the nuts from galling...that or maybe some light lube on the threads.

A theory I have on the weights is, that it would tend to take MORE on the smaller wheel vs a larger wheel since they're more inward towards the center than say on a 16" wheel.

Otherwise, I'm 100% confident these tires will run fine.

Carol...what did you think about the "ribs" on our Maxxis? I have a mixed feeling...yeah...they're stronger on the diameter, but are we sacrificing a bit of "grip" because the water doesnt the have the grooves going from the center outwards? In other words, the outer ribs COULD possibly act as "dams" in the center??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
That is a surprising amount of weights for balancing such small tires!

Do not believe the small tires on my old Scamp ever required that amount, although they did have a couple of small weights on them. I have no doubt though that some of the tire wear issues we read about here are the result of unbalanced tires though. Many tire shops will not normally balance trailer tires unless asked to do so.

How did it tow home? Notice any difference?
Old 09-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #74

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Darrell, the thin squiggly lines, called 'sipes', are for distributing water.

But those tires are not for power, nor steering, so I wouldn't think water would be much of a problem.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #75

That was my thinking as well; especially for my kinda travel. Havent heard/read any complaints on "traction" for these tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Darrell, the thin squiggly lines, called 'sipes', are for distributing water.

But those tires are not for power, nor steering, so I wouldn't think water would be much of a problem.

/Mr Lynn
Old 09-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #76

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Carol...what did you think about the "ribs" on our Maxxis? I have a mixed feeling...yeah...they're stronger on the diameter, but are we sacrificing a bit of "grip" because the water doesnt the have the grooves going from the center outwards? In other words, the outer ribs COULD possibly act as "dams" in the center??
Haven't given it much if any thought! LOL

I can tell you though that I have pulled the trailer on the freeway with the Maxxis tires through some pretty heavy rain storms up here on the Wet Coast and no concerns. They ran/felt fine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #77

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
I put these on my Scamp four years ago and have been perfectly happy with them. Next year I will probably buy a new set and transfer these to my aluminum utility trailer which gets very light use.

If you get these and have them balanced be sure to specify TAPE weights to avoid corrosion. Chrome or stainless hub cover and nuts add to the great looks these will give your trailer. I get lustful compliments every time I camp.

Karrier ST175/80R13 Radial Trailer Tire with 13" Aluminum Wheel - 5 on 4-1/2 - Load Range D Kenda Tires and Wheels AM31998

Sure is't a pricey setup but you only go around once.

Dan
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #78

Dan if the Scamp didnt have such a "retro" look, I would spring for them myself!! Those alum. rims are nothing but SHARP! One would have to think the "aluminum" could/would act as somewhat of a "heatsink" on the hubs?

The Kenda's would be my second choice on tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Jones View Post
I put these on my Scamp four years ago and have been perfectly happy with them. Next year I will probably buy a new set and transfer these to my aluminum utility trailer which gets very light use.

Karrier ST175/80R13 Radial Trailer Tire with 13" Aluminum Wheel - 5 on 4-1/2 - Load Range D Kenda Tires and Wheels AM31998

Sure is't a pricey setup but you only go around once.

Dan

Tags
tires