Tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 09:51 PM   #1

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Tires

I have never been content with the 205/75R14 Tires that came on our Snoozy. They are load range C and only rated to 65 mph. I am sure some of you have the same opinion. My son is in the tire business. He found me these 205 R14 light commercial truck tires. They are an inch larger in diameter, eight ply and load rated D. I may have to raise the fenders a bit.

app.
Name:   IMG_2584.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:   IMG_2585.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:   IMG_2586.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:   IMG_2587.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  20.2 KB
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Also, these have a Speed Rating of Q = 99 mph. I would never tow that fast, but it's a comfort to know that Maxxis designed this tire with more strength than all ST tires.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I think truck tires are way better than trailer tires and I run them on my rig too. Good choice.

BTW, it's highly unlikely they are 8 ply. What they most likely are is "8 ply rating"or "8PR". This means they are two ply sidewall and maybe 5 ply tread, with a load rating of D. Read the fine print on the side of the tire to confirm this for yourself.

The "8 ply" or "10 ply" that is advertised, or said by salesmen, is pretty much false advertising. They should simply say "Load range D".
Old 02-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Don't forget to derate the LT tires 20%.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #5

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Don't forget to death the LT tires 20%.

??????
Old 02-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
??????
Sorry auto correct got me.
I meant to say derate the LT tires 20% for trailer use.
Take the ratings and multiply by .8 to get the trailer rating.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Now I have to ask, why de-rate them for a trailer????
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:23 PM   #8

North Carolina
Registry
OK ! I know how that happens. Even derated they have higher ratings than the ST tires I was running.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have Carlisle radial tires (ST205-75R-15 ). They are load range D and are speed rated to 81 mph.
They are designed for trailers, not trucks.
Not sure why some think themselves smarter than the engineers who design tires and the manufacturers who make them.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #10

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Not sure why some think themselves smarter than the engineers who design tires and the manufacturers who make them.
Not smarter at all, but experienced enough to see it. And so are some of the trailer manufacturers
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #11

I had no issues with my Marathons. Replaced them after 7 years with Carlisle.
ST tires are designed to reduce sway.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #12

North Carolina
Registry
I can't see how ST tires can have stiffer sidewalls than these. They are truly heavy duty. My son says his tire company mounts lots of these on contractor equipment trailers. They say these don't fail as much as the ST ones do. I have never experienced sway with the Snoozy. I will post here how the LT's do.[emoji3]
Old 02-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #13

Quote:
I will post here how the LT's do.[emoji3]
That will just restart this interminable thread.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #14

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
I can't see how ST tires can have stiffer sidewalls than these. They are truly heavy duty. My son says his tire company mounts lots of these on contractor equipment trailers. They say these don't fail as much as the ST ones do. I have never experienced sway with the Snoozy.[emoji3]
There you go. Good choice. An endorsement from a tire company and your son, who have experience with them. They install them on trailers and are willing to stand behind them. What better recommendation could there be?

They are not smarter than engineers, but they know what works and they are willing to put their reputation on the line for quality and good design.

Of course, this argument will never be settled to the satisfaction of everyone, so we should each run whatever we think is best.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
There you go. Good choice.
And, of course, it's what you have on your Oliver so it has to be the best.
That Oliver has made very few trailers over the years, and many tire manufacturers carry a line of Special Trailer tires, and that they have sold millions of them, carries no weight.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #16

One more question.
If the evidence you have presented is available to the tire manufacturers, why would they not embrace it and sell LT tires for trailers? They could reduce overhead by eliminating a line and increase profits.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #17

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
There you go. Good choice. An endorsement from a tire company and your son, who have experience with them. They install them on trailers and are willing to stand behind them. What better recommendation could there be?

They are not smarter than engineers, but they know what works and they are willing to put their reputation on the line for quality and good design.

Of course, this argument will never be settled to the satisfaction of everyone, so we should each run whatever we think is best.

I totally agree. I don't post here very often because it always turns into an argument. I just wanted a better tire. Based on evidence that I trust , I believe I have found one. Time will tell..Blessings to all.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:42 PM   #18

Quote:
I totally agree. I don't post here very often because it always turns into an argument.
Who is arguing?
So far, it's a discussion.

The only reason I am presenting my "facts" is that there are people who will read this thread and accept your position as truth. I'm not trying to convince you. I'm just giving them more to consider.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #19

Smith Valley, Nevada
Glenn,

Of course that's true about Oliver. But if you want to talk about how many miles ST tires have gone, as an example, then please include how many miles LT tires have gone and their failure rate, under just as severe service. I dare say the LTs have gone thousands of times farther. But again, it's your choice

I also have LTs on my triple axle 48' box trailer and a couple other trailers that have many thousands of miles on them.
Some years ago I bought a new utility tandem trailer and it would not stop wagging its tail with the radial Marathons it came with. That is what started me on this idea that weak radial ST tires were not for me. At the time I took it back to the dealer and insisted that they give me a set of bias tires, which they did. Problem solved. He knew the Marathons were weak and gave me no trouble when I pointed it out to him. Yes, they were trailer tires, but they were the cheapest tire he could get away with.

But I don't want those cheap bias tires on my Oliver either, or my triple axle, so LTs it is, and they are fine.

I get that you love ST tires and that's fine. But I know there is nothing wrong with LTs and they have proven themselves to be easier to get, a wider selection of designs and sizes, more tread selections and able to hold up just fine under grueling truck service. My Ram truck, for instance, weighs about 5,000 lbs up front and sits on two LTs. Never a squirming problem or a failure problem with over 400,000 miles of highway and off road service. I run them at different pressures depending on the conditions and never worry about it. None of this "maximum pressure only" business to prevent overheating and blowout as with STs. No limit to 65 MPH.

It would be pretty hard to convince me that a load range C or D Marathon, with their reputation, and their soft sidewalls are better than a load range E, LT radial Toyo or Cooper or Michelin. I'm just a bit hard headed that way, and I would never try to talk someone out of running LTs when they are obviously so good. I'm glad you've never had any problems with yours STs.

Just sharing my experience, your mileage may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. And by all means, run what you like!

I can hardly wait for more "facts" about how superior STs are. Who knows, maybe I'll run right out and get a set!
Old 02-15-2017, 11:05 PM   #20

I don't have a lab and a million dollar R&D budget and teams of engineers available to me to convince you that ST tires are superior to LT tires for trailer towing.
But, I do doubt that any corporation would waste their money building ST tires if they didn't do a better job than LT tires.
Anyway, I'm repeating myself. But, keep in mind, anecdotes are not evidence.

Tags
tires