To Cover or Not - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Is there any advantage to covering your egg with a tarp over winter? I have in the past and I think it help
to prevent leaks around the windows from thawing and freezing but I also noticed more black spots on
the roof in the spring.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Not sure, but I think you just answered your own question. (Is that permissable?) As far as the black spots, that's mold caused by using a completely waterproof cover. Condensation forms under the plastic tarp. A breathable fabric will do a better job, I think.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Chris

Tamid,
material that can breathe will let air circulate when it's dry outside......... when it rains the fibers become wet and swell and that's when it becomes waterproof......... when the rain stops it dries out and becomes breathable again.
I learned this lesson the hard way years back
Joe
Quick test of any outdoor covering material: Put it up to your mouth and if you can push even the slightest amount of air thru the material it will work as long as it's an outside material used for covering items.
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #4

Well, I've read all I can on this and other forums about "to cover or not" and how to accomplish it if I do. I've asked 4 of the RV stores in my area. Talked with neighbors who own travel trailers. Changed my opinion time and again, but now I've made a decision.........finally!

I'm going to put my Casita under a 10' x 20' tent. I already own the frame. ($ saved!) So all I'll have to buy is a top and sides. My reasoning is: I get into the trailer a lot, even when I'm not traveling.............to add or remove foodstuff, make modifications, etc. I don't like the idea of trapping moist air under a cover...which will mildew. I don't like the idea of the cover flapping in the wind and damaging the fiberglass. I prefer easy access. The tent fabric is aluminum covered and allows virtually no heat to be transmitted through to the interior. (I know this from experience using the tent at crafts festivals) It will be easy to back the trailer into the tent, unhook, and be done with it..................as opposed to trying to cover the trailer with a fitted "sock".
Old 11-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
You have obviously figured out the best solution.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #6

Loren,

It might not be the best solution for everyone..........but it is for me.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Never fear. It is the best solution.

That's my story and I'm stick'in to it!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote