To Cover or Not - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #1

Name: Kathie
Trailer: U-HAUL VT16
upstate ny
To Cover or Not

Just got my U-HAUL VT-16 delivered and I am wondering if I am abusing it!I did a search for my answer but there are so many variables I couldn't decide!
I live in a large open field on top of a hill. The wind howels, and the snow blows. This makes me wonder if a cover is smart? No snow will stay on top, no limbs to hit it, would definately rub in the wind, but still it looks so out there by itself.
Any suggestoins? I am new to all this.<_<
kbeale NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I dont like to leave fiberglass out in the elements. All year for that matter and i keep mine covered all year when not in use. It would get oxidized and dull quickly where mine is always shiny and no ultraviolet sun to beat it up.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I too live in a very windy area. If you choose to cover your trailer, be very aware that whatever you use can actually scrub the gel coat if it touches. For that reason, my trailer is under a metal carport with 3' earth anchors holding it down because of the wind.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Has anyone ever looked into the shrink wrap they put on boats for the winter? I was thinking about that the other day when i seen some boats all wrapped up for winter here and thought it would probably be good for a camper too.......anyone?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We have never covered our campers but made sure they have a good wax job. Our 5th wheel looks lonely and cold but it's been awhile since she has been anywhere.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #6

upstate ny
Thanks for the input

The other thing I forgot to mention is where I live has less sunny days than anywhere else in US, so I am not sure the UV rays are very strong, plus we only get 3 or 4 days in the 90s. Now I am wondering why I moved here...
Old 12-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #7

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
So outdoor tanning is out, lots of Vitamin D and long johns year a round?
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #8

upstate ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
So outdoor tanning is out, lots of Vitamin D and long johns year a round?
That about sums up CENTRAL NY. Just got 3 feet of snow since Sun. and they are calling for 8 to 12 in tonight!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #9

Kathie, snow does stick to fiberglass, even highly waxed fiberglass... after all the roofs are nearly flat. IF snowload on the top is a concern, you may want to put a support inside the trailer. One that's effective and easily made is one out of two or three 2x4s. Think of a capital "I." One 2x4 (or section) against the roof in the middle of the trailer, and another 2x4 on the floor as a foot. The third 2x4 is the center section which helps prevent the roof from bowing in..

More than one molded fiberglass trailer has been destroyed or badly damaged by snow. We've seen the "hulks" for sale for salvage.

This is a cheap solution to what could be a permanent problem. Others may have other ideas
Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the info on snow weight Donna D. I just cleaned about 14" off the roof of mine.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
If you are in a situation where you need to use a tarp it helps to slide a 4 inch or so section of pool noodle over the ends of the bungee or whatever you use for tiedowns. The pool noodle holds the edge of the tarp up,including the grommet, as well as keeping the bungee from making contact with the fiberglass. rb
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Any wrap you use could prevent you from plugging in for a day once a month to keep the battery up.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #13

upstate ny
Wow

Thanks for all the info!
I am leaning in the direction of not covering for the reasons stated before, and snow weight is a problem covered or not, but with our wind I can not see that as a problem either. Does anyone eles want to weigh in on this as a bad idea?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #14

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Covering the trailer?

I have gone covered and not. I think I prefer the not.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our VT is covered. We live just outside Chicago. It is always depressing to see it get covered. It is kind of the signal the warm weather is over.

Since the hubby helped me decide on the final design when I asked for his help, I can say this. I decided to get a customized spare tire cover for him for his birthday/Christmas present to match our UHaul VT. The day that the stitchers told me I had to give them the numbers off the spare tire was the day he covered it up and backed it so close to the garage that I could not lift the corner of the cover. Happily, he had posted those numbers over on uhaulcamper, and my aged brain kind of remembered that. I found the numbers there.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #16

While snow is usually not a problem in Portland, Oregon... rain is. I've saved myself lots and lots of hours since I no longer have spend time cleaning the moss, slime and muck off the trailer every spring. Since it's covered under the carport, now it just gets dusty. With a good coat of wax, all I need to do is hit it with a hose and I'm ready to go camping!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Continuing the thought from CindyL...

Our VT sits under a HUGE river maple tree and occasionally twigs and branches get blown down. The cover (it was made for a Casita but works fine on our 16' VT) helps deflect the branches and avoids scratches. We also get some funky air quality sometimes near Chicago, so the cover keeps the trailer cleaner over the winter. During the summer, I wash it at least once a month, so it stays clean. We also had a couple small leaks around the back window over the past few years, so the cover keeps this from happening, especially with snow and ice build-up and melting. (I tie the cover down securely so the wind doesn't move it and it has built-in air vents front and back to help with air circulation, too.)
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think if you invest in a proper cover made to fit your trailer it will work. Mine was made for a Scamp but fits my Egg Camper like a glove. It does not move,flap, or make any movement. There are 3 straps that go underneath and secure the cover. It has a zipper on the side for entrance and it protects from snow,debris,ice, rain. In fact the trailer is spotless. Of course when I remove it in the Spring I may be touting a different song but for now I'm for the protection.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I just followed a Boler restoration thread on YouTube. He'd put a tent type shelter on his boler shell over the winter and a load of snow collapsed the shelter and "flattened it". He had the windows out and the frame off at the time so it probably wasn't nearly as strong as a complete trailer.

The link to the YouTube Boler thing is here
here but the story about the snow is in the comments.

The VT should be pretty strong being that it has the double hull and some wing supports for the AC, but I wouldn't want more than a few inches of snow on mine.

It doesn't snow here (well we had a couple inches about 25 years ago) but I cover my VT with an x-large car cover that comes just past the window bottoms. It keeps the tree sap off the trailer and the window seals in tbe back leak a bit so it helps with that, too! The sun's strong here so that keeps the gel-coat from getting totally bleached out.

There's a seller on eBay that sells Casita covers. I bought one of their other models for my Escape but haven't installed it yet because I want the rain to stop so I can wash the trailer first! If it works out well I'll try one of the casita covers and let you know how it works.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #20

upstate ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
I just followed a Boler restoration thread on YouTube. He'd put a tent type shelter on his boler shell over the winter and a load of snow collapsed the shelter and "flattened it". He had the windows out and the frame off at the time so it probably wasn't nearly as strong as a complete trailer.

The link to the YouTube Boler thing is here
here but the story about the snow is in the comments.

The VT should be pretty strong being that it has the double hull and some wing supports for the AC, but I wouldn't want more than a few inches of snow on mine.

It doesn't snow here (well we had a couple inches about 25 years ago) but I cover my VT with an x-large car cover that comes just past the window bottoms. It keeps the tree sap off the trailer and the window seals in tbe back leak a bit so it helps with that, too! The sun's strong here so that keeps the gel-coat from getting totally bleached out.

There's a seller on eBay that sells Casita covers. I bought one of their other models for my Escape but haven't installed it yet because I want the rain to stop so I can wash the trailer first! If it works out well I'll try one of the casita covers and let you know how it works.
Matt:
Yes, let me know.Thanks. Everyone talks about wax, what is it, where do I get it, how do I do it and I do know why.. Sorry, remember I am a fiberglass newbie !