To grease or not to grease? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here you go

http://www.pbblaster.com/products.html

Bill K

Quote:
I am not familiar with this product Phillip, do you have a link to it? It could be that it is not available north of the 49th.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Thanks for the link Bill.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
I wasn't even aware one was supposed to grease the ball. But it makes so much sense. This is a very timely posting as we have just upgraded our hitch and ball to 2" so with everything new, we will start greasing! Thanks all for the wealth of info on this site.

Dianne
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #24

Trailer: Boler 1984
I used to grease the hitch and shortly after the dust accumulated would make things dirty and if you got within a few feet of the ball your clothes were covered with black grime. Now I oil the mechanism well and spray the ball and coupler insides with WD 40.

"Red Green would love it."
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 ft
We started using vaseline on the ball and the noise went away like that. What a relief on these bumpy Winnipeg streets. I'm also thinking though, that some of the clacking noise from the hitch could possibly be caused by the tongue weight being too light.
jamessue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #26

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
some of the clanking can be the hitch itself moving around in the receiver. mine clanks and what not on bumpy roads, i just ignore it. if it really bothers you you can add shims in there but a trailer is just gonna make noise sometimes.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I bought one of these and it stops the rattle. Looking at the competition, they have double nutted the bolt, which I think is a good idea since I lost the plastic knob the first big trip out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51943.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	21010
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
Quote:
I finally put together in a soft sided tool bag a complete toot/repair kit. This is where I keep the grease and it is always accessible in the tow vehicle. So far, so good in having what I need easily available.

On a side note, on something related and not mentioned here, is to check the adjustment of the ball latch on the hitch. Too tight and it is real hard to close, but too loose you risk excessive wear or even possibly failure (the hitch coming of the ball even though latched).
Jim,
What else do you put in your repair kit? I'm writing down a shopping list from this thread. How do I check the adjustment of the latch? I don't know what the coupler that I have is called, but it has a sliding collar type of mechanism with a spring loaded bar on the side that slides under the collar when open. Does that make sense?
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

When the trailer is hitched, just lift up on it or step on the car bumper. It should not be inordinately loose.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #30

Trailer: 1968 Flat top Boler (serial # 92)
Thank you for the WD40 tip, I tried it today and am impressed. I have never used lube in the past but shall definitely use WD40 in future. I have never liked the noises that come from the coupler.Thanks-great forum!!
sidney lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Jim,
What else do you put in your repair kit? I'm writing down a shopping list from this thread. How do I check the adjustment of the latch? I don't know what the coupler that I have is called, but it has a sliding collar type of mechanism with a spring loaded bar on the side that slides under the collar when open. Does that make sense?
Copied from my trailer list

Repair & Tool Kit
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Masking tape
Sewing kit
Tie wire
Cable ties
Sharpening stone
Spare batteries
Epoxy
Lineman pliers
Needlenose pliers
Waterpump pliers
Sidecutters
Adjustable wrench
Set of Wrenches
Screwdriver set
Utility knife
Small Level
Tape measure
Ball lubricant
]Propane Tee
Jack
Tire wrench - tow & 13/16
Air compressor
Tire pressure gauge
Booster cables
Disposable Gloves

Like Roger Mentioned, you can jack up on the hitch when attatched, jump on the bumper, etc. There should be no movement in the connection between the two. Likewise, it should not be too tight. Moderate pressure on the catch should be all that is needed. If you are having trouble hooking up, or closing the catch, it might be too tight.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #32

Trailer: Helite
If it rubs together, it requires lubrication.

Your joints
Your tools
Your bearings
Your engines
Your hitch ball

If you do not provide lubrication it will cause premature wear.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Quote:
Thank you for the WD40 tip, I tried it today and am impressed. I have never used lube in the past but shall definitely use WD40 in future. I have never liked the noises that come from the coupler.Thanks-great forum!!
Remember that WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant. Use WD40 to clean out the old grease and then apply fresh grease to the ball/hitch.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #34

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Laura and Rick Said: Remember that WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant. Use WD40 to clean out the old grease and then apply fresh grease to the ball/hitch.

Boy, Are they ever right. It will eat some things like O rings and rubber products up. Please don’t get me wrong though, it is a great product when used right.

The WD stands for water displacement and when squirted in a wet tail light socket or in a wet distributor (Older Engines) it solves those issues.

I use it like L&R do and wash things out B cause it is less expensive than other spray can washes.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #35

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
EKW hey Keith, probably have some LOL come on out and i'll give some back.
Lou & Lora E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
At last year's Oregon Gathering, Dave picked up a 'widget' from Gary Vanlith (Casita owner from TX) which has stopped all the clunks and noise from our hitch - best $10 we ever spent. Happy camping, all! L 'n D
Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #37

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I read a tip on another RV forum about using beeswax or wax paper. I tried the wax paper last time out and it worked great. I folded it a couple of times then just hooked up as usual. Make sure that it doesn't interfere with the ball lock, though. After the trip, no mess. In fact, it shined up the ball.

I may try the beeswax but I have a roll of wax paper to use first.

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #38

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
At first I used WD40 and really liked it. It turned out to loosen the nut and the ball almost came off. I now use Reese Ball grease and yes it is messy. First thing we do is cover with a ball cover when we unhitch.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #39

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I always use Blue Locktight stuff (Medium) on the ball nut to make sure it does not come loose. Learned this when I had one come loose also.

You can break loose the Blue stuff whereas the RED stuff is more permanent as in you may not be able to be break it loose, ever.

Lock Washer - I just do not trust them and remember, you are only susposta tighten them ONCE and never again.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #40

Registry
Quote:
I read a tip on another RV forum about using beeswax or wax paper. I tried the wax paper last time out and it worked great. I folded it a couple of times then just hooked up as usual. Make sure that it doesn't interfere with the ball lock, though. After the trip, no mess. In fact, it shined up the ball.

I may try the beeswax but I have a roll of wax paper to use first.

Pat
Pat, not sure I like the sound of this at all, especially with the paper. With the movement a hitch and ball sees, the paper could get into somewhere it shouldn't.

Some kind of real lubricant should really be used. It is not expensive, it is real easy to use and clean up when required. I really see no reason not to use it. A small container will last for years.