To grease or not to grease? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
What are some of your thoughts on greasing the trailer hitch ball? Wal Mart used to sell a small plastic jar of grease for that purpose. Now I can't find it anymore.

It seems to me that one should use a bit of grease on the ball. What do you all think?

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

I always use whatever grease I have around the house. Even Vaseline would work. I don't think K-Y Jelly would, however,

That is why you need a ball cover for when you disconnect temorarily. An old tennis ball cut off works well, or you can spend money and buy a deer head, fish, etc. Even a paper cup should work, just something to protect your clothes.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #3

Quote:
I always use whatever grease I have around the house. Even Vaseline would work. I don't think K-Y Jelly would, however,

That is why you need a ball cover for when you disconnect temorarily. An old tennis ball cut off works well, or you can spend money and buy a deer head, fish, etc. Even a paper cup should work, just something to protect your clothes.
Roger, you gave me a good chuckle. I wish I could come back with a variety of responses but maybe I'd better just move on.

I did find a small container of Extreme pressure water proof grease at Wally World and I'll just use that. ..............on the Hitch ball, right!

Thanks,

EKW
Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
What are some of your thoughts on greasing the trailer hitch ball?
I keep my ball dry.
[b]YMMV. I have never had a hitch problem in over 20,000 miles.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My instruction manual for hitches says to use bearing grease on ball and also on weight distribution hitch where bars go into the block holding the ball.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
i keep a can of spray lithium grease in the truck and spray it when i use it. works great and its somewhat waterproof.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
When we first got our Escape--we hadn't greased the ball or the equalizer hitch post area---oh my I was driving and "creak/ groan" etc.. I thought we weren't hitched up properly and was all in a worry mode.....
We greased her up and the next trip was MUCH quieter... Also got a hitch ball cover from Princess Auto for cheap---saves dh pant legs!!!!!!!
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
WAX
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
WAX
I think Kevin is on to something. I've heard using a clothes dryer softening sheet is supposed to work too.

Part of the question has to do with the coupler too. Now that the ball has been greased... that also greases the coupler. Where I live, there's a lot of swirling wind... imagine dust/dirt and bits of twigs and grass... that stuff gets up into the coupler and gets stuck in the grease! How to deal with that? Well, I don't. But one of these days the entire coupler is going to be upgraded to a 2" ball.... and I'd like to rethink the grease solution.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 AM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I think Kevin is on to something. I've heard using a clothes dryer softening sheet is supposed to work too.

Part of the question has to do with the coupler too. Now that the ball has been greased... that also greases the coupler. Where I live, there's a lot of swirling wind... imagine dust/dirt and bits of twigs and grass... that stuff gets up into the coupler and gets stuck in the grease! How to deal with that? Well, I don't. But one of these days the entire coupler is going to be upgraded to a 2" ball.... and I'd like to rethink the grease solution.....

WD-40 applied liberally effectively cleans the grease off and cleans up the coupler and spoon. FWIW, I use Reese ball grease. You can find it at most RV stores.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
If 2 pieces of metal rub together it should be lubricated..........period
Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I use a hitch grease now, but have used axle grease in the past.

Definitely clean your ball and hitch well every few days of towing. This is real important too, so that things don't gum up. A solvent like WD-40 like Roger mentioned works great for this. Get in and scrub the workings in the hitch good, then apply grease inside as well as a wee bit on the ball itself. I picked up a ball cover at Princess Auto like Anna-Marie suggested for a couple bucks, it fits snug and works great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:35 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I use a small amount of liquid hand soap. The first rain will wash it off so there is no need for a cover, even if it did get on clothes it is probably harmless. Seems to do the trick.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
This is why I LOVE this forum! As a newbie to towing, I have been worrying about this especially since my coupler is old and rusty. I didn't ask the question because it seemed like a simple thing (that I should know, right?)

My brother told me to pour/squirt motor oil over and through the coupler mechanism. Will that work as well as grease? My coupler mechanism is very stiff with rust, the last time it was hitched, we had to pound on the latch to close it. What is the best way to loosen up the mechanism? WD-40?
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
My coupler mechanism is very stiff with rust, the last time it was hitched, we had to pound on the latch to close it. What is the best way to loosen up the mechanism? WD-40?
Move to Colorado.... we "usually" (Lot of storms this year) have very low humidity and very little rust.

Seriously, I'm from Illinois, originally, and everything rusts back there. The used motor oil will work but I'd suggest getting some good Rust Penetrant and soak it good, then perhaps lubricate with some clean spray oil of some kind. WD-40 is basically just Mineral Oil with a Kerosene carrier, but it works well for a lot of things. It's NOT, however, a Rust Penetrant. Liquid Wrench is one that comes to mind. If you can find some KROIL , or CHESTERTON RUST SOLVO, those are the best two I've ever seen. ( I used to sell the Chesterton Products, but my supply is getting low) Call Pioneer Industrial in Danville, Illinois and they will have the Chesterton products.

I always grease the ball but just wanted to start a thread and see what others thought.

Good luck.

EKW
Old 06-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #16

Registry
Anne, a good cleaning and lubricating of the inside workings of the hitch is necessary, both for performance and safety.

A good cleaning like Keith described would be the first start. WD-40 will clean things up good and help loosen the workings, but will not get rid of the rust, you could use a small wire brush to get any flakes off. The wee bit of rust that is left might not be a problem though.

I would not use motor oil as a lube though, as it is too viscous. A good grease will hold in place for a long time. You could use your fingers, a small stiff bristled brush to get grease into the corners on the hitch. After this I would get a rag and clean out all you can that is on the inner surfaces (of course the outer too, should you have gotten some on there). This will get rid of the excess grease not needed. All you need in addition to this is a thin smear on the ball before hooking up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #17

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I just use the wd40 on it's own to eliminate the noise issues. The official ball grease gets filthy and I can't find it half the time.

But I can't find my glasses half the time either.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
"PB" is the best lubricant/rust dissolver I have used.. much better than wd-40 it should be loacted on the same shelf as WD-40 at your local auto parts store or hardware store
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
I just use the wd40 on it's own to eliminate the noise issues. The official ball grease gets filthy and I can't find it half the time.
Even a bit dirty, a good grease is still way better then none at all. A quick wipe with a piece of paper towel of the ball, and inside the hitch, will clean it good. A wee smear again on the ball and all is good.

I finally put together in a soft sided tool bag a complete toot/repair kit. This is where I keep the grease and it is always accessible in the tow vehicle. So far, so good in having what I need easily available.

On a side note, on something related and not mentioned here, is to check the adjustment of the ball latch on the hitch. Too tight and it is real hard to close, but too loose you risk excessive wear or even possibly failure (the hitch coming of the ball even though latched).
Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
"PB" is the best lubricant/rust dissolver I have used.. much better than wd-40 it should be loacted on the same shelf as WD-40 at your local auto parts store or hardware store
I am not familiar with this product Phillip, do you have a link to it? It could be that it is not available north of the 49th.