To paint or not to paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My wife and i have finally packed our tent for the last time and have bought our first trailer, a 13 Trillium. Its in great shape but the exterior has fade to become a lovely washed out green.
Looking through the forums it would seem that ther are differnt ways to do this. Also a few scrathes near the door i would like to fill in.
Oh and by the way i am not what you would "handy".

Thanks
Andrew
andrew ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #2

Same point here, and better decide soon while the weather is nice. I think most people like the interlux brightside for a shiny gloss finish. The interlux primer will fix most small flaws.
Quote:
My wife and i have finally packed our tent for the last time and have bought our first trailer, a 13 Trillium. Its in great shape but the exterior has fade to become a lovely washed out green.
Looking through the forums it would seem that ther are differnt ways to do this. Also a few scrathes near the door i would like to fill in.
Oh and by the way i am not what you would "handy".

Thanks
Andrew
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Hi Andrew,

I would STRONGLY consider trying to buff the fiberglass instead of painting it. I also have a Trillium 1300 (1980) that was very oxidized. The finish was so bad my hand would get chalky just touching it.

Here's what I did:
1) Wet Sand with 600 grit sandpaper.
Wrap wet/dry 600 grit sandpaper on a sponge
dip in pail of soapy water
sand in a circular motion.
keep dipping to wash the sandpaper clean
Wash really good and check out the work
This sandpaper is so fine it won't scratch the finish. Actually makes it shiny once dry. if you're scared at first, try in an inconspicuous spot - maybe the roof.

2) use a product like this one that I bought this product from WestMarine. http://www.meguiars.com/?boat-rv-kits/Fibe...toration-System along with a power buffer from a home store
If you have a boat store in the area, check them out. They will likely have this or some similar (mildly abrasive) product.

Using this technique and some elbow grease I was was able to get a really good shine to it. Just do one side at a time. (don't forget the roof) You might be able to buy just the Meguiars # 49 cleaner then finish with any old car wax a little cheaper.

I figure if I keep it waxed, I should never have to do that again.

This was much cheaper than painting it and I don't have to worry about peeling paint in the future. The fiberglass was designed to be bare - not painted. You'd have to get all that oxidation off before you painted it anyway or the paint would not stick.

Good luck. I'd share my "before and after" pics but I don't have any "after" yet.

Oh- regarding the deep scratches, again, check with a boat dealer. WestMarine (not I don't work there) has a scratch filler that come with color dye you mix in to get a match. Might be a little tricky unless you're an artist but I bet you can get it close enough.
JimiAffeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's several ways to approach this, I'd think paint would be one of the last to try. Perhaps you would like to read what others have done to bring their trailer's chaulky finish back to life:

Gelcoat Rejuvinator Applications...any good?, This stuff sounds too good to be true.

The Vertglass sounds pretty good...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....these 'options' are nice IF you want to keep the Egg Shell looking pristeen but if you (like the Trailer Goddessan I) don't happen to like that 'pea soup green color.....!

This is most likely WHY I never bought an Egg waaaay back when I lived in Winterpeg, just couldn't see myself in thaat color of ANYTHING,, LOL!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
....these 'options' are nice IF you want to keep the Egg Shell looking pristeen but if you (like the Trailer Goddessan I) don't happen to like that 'pea soup green color.....!

This is most likely WHY I never bought an Egg waaaay back when I lived in Winterpeg, just couldn't see myself in thaat color of ANYTHING,, LOL!!!!
Funny, when I think baqck to MY Winterpeg days, there were some mornings when I was that "pea soup green colour" . . . .
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
........WELL theres another thing we can yak about at the meet!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:01 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom
With August moving rapidly along, one way on the other, i'm thinking we had best do it now or enjoy our as yet to be named trailer over the winter sans an exteior makeover.

Andrew
Old 08-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Same point here, and better decide soon while the weather is nice. I think most people like the interlux brightside for a shiny gloss finish. The interlux primer will fix most small flaws.
Jamie
What are you aplying this with, spray machine, hand?

Tags
paint, painting