To Tint or Not To Tint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #1

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
To Tint or Not To Tint

I have decided I want to replace the old sunbaked aged plexiglass windows on the front and the back of my 1980 scamp.

I know there is smoke tinted plexiglass out there and I am curious the consensus on using clear vs tinted plexiglass to replace these with.

I am sure it would be somewhat cooler inside. Yes I have curtains, but I know the tint helps. Will it reduce visibility, or is it about the same.

Is it worth it? Does it look better or look worse? (Ive never seen one in person tinted , but I can imagine it looks pretty good.

Please let me know.

Also I am ordering the window beading and lockstrip directly from Scamp, I have heard sourcing horror stories. Will that work with my 1980 (with elephant skin interior) I cant forsee a problem.

Please let me know.

Thanks. jimbo
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #2

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I hate to glom onto your post, but I'm doing the same thing. My front window is very thick, measures .220 with a caliper. It seems really thick, considering there is a gravel guard over it. Is yours like that? Almost 1/4 of an inch thick?

Take Care,
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #3

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Take it to car tint place for cars

HI GUYS TAKE IT TO A CAR TINT PLACE THAT TINT WINDOWS IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT YOU CAN TAKE IT OFF
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Lexan is a much better material for the window than Plexiglas. It is tougher and more scratch resistant.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I put tinted plexiglass in the front and rear windows of a S-13. I think it improved the looks, but that's just me. I have seen trailers with film installed on the windows and it was a mess, don't go that route.
During the day you can't see inside the trailer if just walking by. Not so at night with the inside lights are on. If you like to open your curtains while driving to see through the trailer you loose that option. On the inside looking out during the day it's just like having sunglasses on.
I lucked out the local plexiglass shop had enough tented arcrylic O/H to get two windows out of. If not I would have had to buy a whole sheet of plexiglass which you get 4 windows out of one sheet. Also Scamp mostly used 3/16" arcrylic for their front and rear windows. Not a common size to be found in the big box stores so tinted or not it may have to be special ordered.
I use the Scamp beading and it does ok with the elephant hide. If it leaks a glass shop can inject sealant behind the seal to stop any leaks.

Eddie
Steve
I am working on a 77 Scamp that has the thicker arcrylic like yours. but most trailers have the .177 arcrylic in the front and rear windows.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #6

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Thanks for the input and good point on the lexan. I am a fan of.more durable and scratch resistant. All good points on the tint.

As far as latching onto this thread that's why we are all here. I've hijacked plenty in my learning process

Not sure on my thickness (haven't pulled it out yet ) but sure doesn't seem that thick.

The looking through the window while driving is the only drawback I can think of.

Keep em coming.

Thanks
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #7

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Lexan is awesome stuff, but I think in his application acrylic is better. It's way more UV resistant, and resistant to crazing, and scratches can be buffed out. I made a mistake of using it on a boat once and in the sun it didn't last four years before it yellowed. I suppose if you garage your RV it would take a while, but unless you need bullet proof, the added expense isn't worth it, IMHO.
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Tinting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
I put tinted plexiglass in the front and rear windows of a S-13. I think it improved the looks, but that's just me. I have seen trailers with film installed on the windows and it was a mess, don't go that route.
Eddie

If it looked bad that usually means that the person applying it didn't know how to prep and apply the film and/or they used cheap autosupply store tint film. .... Applying tint film to curved plastic is tricky.

As mentioned, take it to a auto glass tinting shop and they will know how to prep the surface, apply the right stuff and warrant their work.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #9

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
When I replaced all my Burro windows with new customs from Pelland, I went with a medium gray tint both for privacy purposes and for reducing interior heat. I think it was a good move on both counts.

The only downside for me is that when I'm traveling I get up super early to chase the good light for photography. When I wake up and look out the window, the tint makes me think it's darker outside than it really is and it's tempting to grab another half hour of sleep and then boom, all of a sudden I've missed sunrise.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I purchased a roll of diy film, then got it home and read the details: Do not use on acrylic. Has anyone tried it anyway? What were your results? Any long-term consequences?
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp