Too Hot in the hot tub!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Name: Clint
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Missouri
Too Hot in the hot tub!!!

Hey all!

I got a 13' Scamp built in 1995. No AC:-(... I was thinking about paying a company to install one in the lower part of the closet. Living in Southern MO has proved to be challenging to camp in the summer. Because I don't feel confident doing this myself I would rather pay to have the mod professionally done. I don't feel confident cutting the vent hole or the place in the closet where the AC would fit. Scamp said they could do the mod for a $1000 including the AC unit itself. That's a little spendy for me. Has any one else done this modification? Did you have it professionally done? What was the cost? Is it working out for you?

Thanks for the help!

Clint
Clankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Clint, sorry haven't done this type of mod. But wanted to say, if your uncomfortable about doing the cutting. Perhaps you could have a boat repair shop do the cutting and then you could install the a/c...........

Boat shops, boat repair, boat etc, have tons of experience cutting through fiberglass. They might offer a less expensive alternative for you. Good luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This is a pretty unusual year for your part of the country. Maybe just a fan or two and wait a couple years. Your exceptionally hot weather may not last long enough to be worth the trouble and expense.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #4

Name: Rod
Trailer: 2014 GWV Trillium Sidekick 1500
British Columbia
Registry
Hmmm, no offense but all the talk I heard, back when I had a T.V., was about global warming, not global colding

It's probally due to all the air conditioners and such, thaz what they told me on the T.V. anyways, so I done got rid of it...

I am a Trilliumaire - I can go camping anytime, any place, anywhere.
Rodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
You may want to try putting a small AC through a sliding window if you have one. You can pick up a small unit for under $100, make a simple holder for it, and remove it while traveling. We put one permanently through the back wall of our former Burro (lower left of the rear side, above the bed mattress), but it did take a lot of thought before I had the courage to cut the hole. I used our Dremel tool to cut it and it went very smoothly. I then built a metal shelf with legs attached to the back bumper so it was supported all the time. When traveling, we covered the unit with a Coleman cooler cut and carved out to fit over it. It looked like we were hauling cold drinks!

I've attached two pictures: someone else's window AC and our Burro with the AC in the back wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Window AC.jpg   Burro with AC.jpg  

Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote