Tow limits on cars - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #21

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the 1450 was scaled weight, fully loaded, including dog toys :-P
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Besides the fact that anything as comically cute as an Element towing an Egg couldn't possibly be dangerous, right?

P.S.-I am in possesion of the U.S. Military's latest upgraded Patriot system. 100% Flying Monkey certified. You have been warned!
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Heck, my little teardrop weighs in at 1360 pounds! Of course, it's got all the bells and whistles and even has a queen-sized mattress inside!
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #24

Registry
Dude, it's the Flying Monkeys.

Even Superman is scared of 'em.

Gubmint certified means nuttin!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hey it's certified by the Wizard and everyone knows he's trustworthy.

MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Cool

Quote:
Personally, I believe in wide margins, and tow my UHaul (1550lbs loaded) with a TV rated for 3000lbs.
I think like you do Jack, I struggled with the towing issue and in the end purchased a GMC Envoy with a Tow rating of 3500lbs. I really like it.

On a more humorous side, I saw a Mythbusters episode where they filled a truck with helium balloons in an attempt to reduce the weight of a vehicle. Perhaps we could fill our FGRV's with them to reduce the weight. Then we could use a motorcycle as a TV.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #27

Trailer: 1989 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
These little trailers get pretty heavy when we load them up.

Once last year, I took the truck and trailer through a set of scales, and if I recall, the truck was 4400 with a full tank of gas, a full 70 qt cooler and an extra 5 gal of water, with two people, and 150 lbs of dogs. The 13 ft Scamperoonie went right at 2100 with a full refrigerator, full water, a week's worth of groceries and another 5 gallons of water. And the porta-pottie.

Our license on the 85 Scamp 13 says 950 Lbs.

They get heavier than we realize.

Garo
I drive a Honda Ridgeline (5K rating) and want to buy a 16-17' FGRV. Anyone had any experience with towing with the Honda?
SharonNDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #28

Registry
I think your Ridgeline will be OK for any of these eggs :-P

Thats really what I wanted, because of the towing capability, and it's "Hondaness" but I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a car/truck... even a Honda.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #29

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I drive a Honda Ridgeline (5K rating) and want to buy a 16-17' FGRV. Anyone had any experience with towing with the Honda?
With a Ridgeline?
With a Honda? Several of us tow with Odysseys (3500 Lb rating) and find them quite capable.
I believe that a Ridgeline would be even more so.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 AM   #30
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I think like you do Jack, I struggled with the towing issue and in the end purchased a GMC Envoy with a Tow rating of 3500lbs.
I'm a little late coming out of the shoot on this one, but it just caught my eye that you said your Envoy only had a tow rating of 3500 lbs. Boy, that's a surprise. I hadn't heard of that before. My 02 is rated for 5400 +/- lbs and it's the I-6. The larger ones have a capacity of 7,000#s I wonder when they dropped it and why? I can't seem to find any information on this.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Just guessing here, Suz, but there may be more than one Envoy in terms of engine, cooling, transmission, rear end ratio, etc. My '98 Ranger's OM lists more than 60 combinations for that year alone, with ratings ranging from about 6,000 lbs down to zero...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #32
Suz

Registry
Quote:
Just guessing here, Suz, but there may be more than one Envoy in terms of engine, cooling, transmission, rear end ratio, etc. My '98 Ranger's OM lists more than 60 combinations for that year alone, with ratings ranging from about 6,000 lbs down to zero...
That's what I'm wondering, but I can't find anything on it. I believe that my 2002 was the first Enovy to come out on that platform. Mine only has a 3.42 axle ratio with the I6 and came with (at least) a class III hitch, transmission cooler, heavy duty alternator, etc. This has been part of the standard euipment and not optional. It has a stated max of 5400 lbs. I noticed that they are now recommending it at 5300 lbs, but that is the least listed. I know they have beefed up some of the newer ones, but I don't think they have decreased them. The curb weight of that vehicle is around 4500 lbs so it's not the weight. It sounds more like an Equinox than an Envoy so I'm really curious about it.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #33

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Quote:
That's what I'm wondering, but I can't find anything on it. I believe that my 2002 was the first Enovy to come out on that platform. Mine only has a 3.42 axle ratio with the I6 and came with (at least) a class III hitch, transmission cooler, heavy duty alternator, etc. This has been part of the standard euipment and not optional. It has a stated max of 5400 lbs. I noticed that they are now recommending it at 5300 lbs, but that is the least listed. I know they have beefed up some of the newer ones, but I don't think they have decreased them. The curb weight of that vehicle is around 4500 lbs so it's not the weight. It sounds more like an Equinox than an Envoy so I'm really curious about it.
We have a 2007 Chev Trailblazer with the I6, max is 5400lbs, with the 3.42 axle ratio. We pull a 16' scamp. We tried to pull it with a 2005 Saturn Vue with a 3500 lbs towing, but the Saturn kept on having problems with the transmission overheating. Saturn doesn't have extra transmission cooler, so we had to purchase the Chev. Chev pulls it pretty good, may have to get a V8 the next time around.
William Schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #34
Suz

Registry
Quote:
We have a 2007 Chev Trailblazer with the I6, max is 5400lbs, with the 3.42 axle ratio. We pull a 16' scamp. We tried to pull it with a 2005 Saturn Vue with a 3500 lbs towing, but the Saturn kept on having problems with the transmission overheating. Saturn doesn't have extra transmission cooler, so we had to purchase the Chev. Chev pulls it pretty good, may have to get a V8 the next time around.
That's good to know. My Envoy does a great job on my '89 Casita, but since my Casita is an older one, it does weigh a little less than the new ones. Especially less than the 17's. I notice that you have a custom Scamp which means it has wood interior, right? I'm thinking that it probably weighs a little more than mine. Since I purchased my trailer a few months after I got my car, I've towed it with nothing else. I have never felt it was underpowered ... far from it. However, I have said that, for me, I don't think I would want to go with a smaller vehicle. Since I have toyed with the idea of replacing my Enovy with a crewcab Canyon/Colorado, I appreciate your information. I had wondered if the I5 might be a little small in case I wanted to get a little bigger or new trailer. Your comment gives me more to think about. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #35

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I think like you do Jack, I struggled with the towing issue and in the end purchased a GMC Envoy with a Tow rating of 3500lbs. I really like it.
I found a different set of numbers for the Envoy.

[b]Official GMC Envoy website =[b] Towing capacity 6,300 lbs.
http://www.gmc.com/envoy/index.jsp?seo=goo...envoy_gmc_envoy

[b]about.com
4WD equipped Envoy models have a towing capacity of 6,400 lbs. With 2WD, towing capacity is 6,300 lbs.

http://trucks.about.com/od/2005gmcsuvs/fr/envoy_xl.htm

I hope this helps.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote