trail mite replacements - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #1

Name: becca
Trailer: 1972 trail mite
California
Wink trail mite replacements

hey all I have the opportunity rot purchase a trail mite 1970's

my concern I can't find ANYTHING if I need repairs.
who can I contact for info?? anything helps. thx
tinkandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
No one really. It’s about being resourceful, google for answers. Realize most of what you might need is not specific to Trail Mite. Fiberglass repair is just fiberglass repair, appliances, window parts, etc. There’s no answer person to call.

Assume it WILL need repairs, not IF. A 40 to 50 year old trailer will need stuff fixed and parts are beyond design life. An old trailer is not for everyone for sure. But if you are flexible and resourceful, it can be fun!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:01 PM   #3

California
thx Bill!
Old 01-21-2021, 09:35 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The other good news is repair techniques are more about the repair and less about the brand trailer. So you can learn from someone doing repairs on their Scamp, or Boler or whatever. Yes, brands do have some unique stuff but a lot of it isn’t unique. Realize the trailer manufacturers tend to buy components from the same handful of companies.

+10 to below, I see newbies tossing original appliances that "didn't work" and then ask where to find replacements. Sometimes the replacements just don't fit, and the old stuff could have been repaired. Someone tossed the furnace from my Trillium, and it is obsolete and unique, so when its gone its gone. So instead of tossing stuff, read the various threads where people have repaired them. Besides appliances, door locks can be hard to find. And many "broken" door locks can be repaired by a local locksmith. And of course, until you have the right replacement in hand, a lock with issues is better than no door lock. And sometimes parts from one broken lock can be combined with another broken lock and you end up with a good lock. My current door lock is such a combination.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just a tip, don't throw away anything until you have a replacement. You may need model numbers or measurements from your original parts... appliances in particular.

Good luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #6

California
so simple but SO SMART LOL. thx!
Old 04-03-2021, 11:11 AM   #7

Name: Julie
Trailer: trail mite
Washington
Hi Becca,
I also have a 72 Trail Mite and I haven't replaced much. I did buy new door hinges from Scamp and I found taillight covers at an RV junk yard. The old Coleman stove and heater work. I had a new tongue welded on last year. A friend put down a new floor. I can do all the 'remodeling' on the inside but have no skills for the work on the frame, fiberglass, and paint. I've taken it to several pros and have had quotes from 10K to 18K to make it new again. I'm going to take the advice I got just the other day, "enjoy it" and I do!
jbenkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #8

California
thx Julie. I got really lucky, much was cleaned and repaired.
no stove or sink or front of kitchenette. (did get sink) I will eventually close up the vents from refer past WAY too wet after rains. Been looking for window for the door, prob can be fixed but noticed many have another in kitchen ..time will tell.
that goodness I have a son that wants to try anything in repair, with of course the promise to use "Mazie" too.
mainly focussing on solar (portable) Jackery AMAZING little box! heading out for my second but first solo this next week excited, nervous new chapter in my life.....
Becca and Tink my little Yorkie
Old 04-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #9

Name: Julie
Trailer: trail mite
Washington
Hi again, I looked up the Jackery and I have something similar, Goal Zero, that powers my usb lights, phone etc. Have a great first solo trip, you will most likely get inquires and thumbs up with your TrailMite!
jbenkovich is offline   Reply With Quote