Trailer servicing options, San Francisco Bay area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We live in Sausalito, California and need to take our SD 17' for servicing later this summer. We hope that someone who lives in the Bay area will have some recommendations. I'm willing to drive as far as San Jose or Sacramento.

By servicing, I mean things like having the gas system checked, the axles greased, the trailer brakes checked and adjusted as needed, and whatever else is required to maintain the trailer.

Please don't just suggest that we learn to do this ourselves; it's not going to happen

Thanks,
Elisabeth
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'd advise that you take the brake and axle work to a trusted auto mechanic. They will likely do the work for much less than an RV shop.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #3

Quote:
I'd advise that you take the brake and axle work to a trusted auto mechanic. They will likely do the work for much less than an RV shop.
Hi, Pete, thanks for responding. I trust my Toyota people in downtown San Francisco but I can't take it to them because they don't have the room for a trailer. I did ask them about the probable cost; they thought it wouldn't be much more than $50. Camping World, on on the other hand, quoted $179.00 to do the wheel bearings --- and an additional $50 to check the trailer brakes at the same time.

Toyota in Marin told me they don't have the equipment to do the work, so I'm still searching.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Since you are in an area that no doubt service horse trailers, I would suggest you look up one of them.

I take mine for it's yearly service to a horse trailer guy. He does a great job and his prices are lower than that.

I do the service on my appliances, so he does frame and running gear, but he can to all the propane as well.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Please don't just suggest that we learn to do this ourselves; it's not going to happen
Before she left to move to another city, I showed my ex-wife how to change the oil and filter on her Saturn, while I did it for her. Her comment when done was "You do all that to save $20?!?". A good point for her, and a possible comment on our relationship, but if I am doing the work, I know how well it has been done.

Too many real incidents of techs-in-a-hurry not getting the old filter gasket off (Carny neighbor in Florida RV park had 'new' rebuilt engine in towing truck; wife took it to Oil Can Larry for oil/filter change after break-in. Engine totally died back in RV park, with oil trail leading back out the park gate and down the road to the culprit's shop. Engine was replaced again, but they were late getting out on the road with the rest of the show and lost revenue...

PS Boat trailer places can easily do the bearing stuf also. It's not brain surgery.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #6

Well, they were all great suggestions and I've followed up with no luck. Camping World would appear to be my only option.

Thanks for the responses,
E.