Trailer storage covers? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Eriba - Ex Escape, Eriba, U-Haul, Boler owner
Georgia
Trailer storage covers?

So which trailer covers are durable? I've heard the white top of the PolyPro covers breaks down pretty quickly and they typically only last a year or two. I want a small universal cover for my 12' Eriba Puck - because pine trees.

I've tried to buy a fitted cover from a supplier in England but they want silly money to ship it over (three times what they sell the cover for even though DHL will ship it for under $50). So I need a good quality cover for under $200. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Puck1.jpg  

Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:29 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I am using the ebay elitemotoronline ShieldAll cover on my Boler 1700. It has lasted four Michigan winters stored in direct sunlight to the south and to the east. It starting developing some short rips after a year or so, and we've been patching those using clear gorilla tape.

Still using the cover, and we are happy enough with it that we have just purchased an identical new cover to begin using this winter.

I protect the cover from sharp edges of awning rail (keder rail) and the drip cap over the entry door.

EDIT: I should also note that rooftop panel of our 4 year old cover in spite of having the most exposure to the sun, snow and ice, has had very few, very small holes (each easily and quickly patched). Most of the tears on the cover have been on the side/vertical panels facing the sun.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #3

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Casita
Ontario
Registry
If your camper is European, try the Polish camping / trailer supplier GoMarket:

gomarket.pl

I bought parts for my Captain trailer and shipping was reasonable. They have English-speaking reps and they respond to emails.

Good luck.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #4

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Calmark Cover

When I acquired my 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe two years ago, the prior owner included the Calmark Cover that he had purchased. I’m not sure how old the cover is but it is **WELL** made.

I usually put the cover on between trips and it has now weathered two Southwest Ohio winters and shows little wear. It came with a patch kit that I have used to cover two small tears from the edges of the steps and the rear bumper. As John mentioned, I cover the sharp edges of my awning supports to prevent wear on the upper portion of the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Casita Calmark Cover.jpg  
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Good for under $200? I cant help you with that. I think Calmark will make any custom size but now your looking at $600-800 I would guess.

Let me offer another idea. The 10 x 20 carport from Harbor Freight and similar places is about $100. It wont handle snow but if you are in Georgia thats likely not a concern. I'm on the NC / SC state line (more or less) and I have had one up for five years. Of course it does get windy here, so I reinforced it by adding a single screw at each pipe connection, two additional tie-downs in the middle, much better earth anchors then the ones supplied, and I tie the front roof peak to the camper and the rear roof peak to a ground anchor. Added cost about $50. The worst storm we had this year broke a 6 inch diameter tree branch on a a healthy tree near the camper, but the carport survived (one earth anchor needed to be repaired). In case of tropical force storm winds, or more than a dusting of snow forecasted, I remove the cover. I've only done that once in the last two years. I figure I can replace the whole thing many times for the cost of any alternate shelter from the sun and pine sap - my only concern is that it might damage the trailer if it gets blown away.
Attached Thumbnails
NesbitShelter.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #6

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Calmark but they aren’t cheep. They’ll want dimensions and pictures of your trailer. Mine fits well. It is newish. I had to replace the Inexpensive one I bought from Scamp after less than a year. The top disintegrated.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
+10 On the Harbor Freight carport. My neighbor put one of those up four years ago or longer. He did reinforce it. I never thought it would last a year, but it is still working fine. My "more permanent" carport cost about $1500....
Indeed Bill.. In fact my cost estimate for a carport was closer to $2,000 or more. Not including the concrete driveway.

There is no question that a carport that could survive the weather and wind for 20 years (or more) would be best. And that was always my plan. In fact one reason I bought the current house was so that I could get a proper carport.

But after a few years I figured out that this "temporary" stop gap measure might be all that I need. Of course being in the south and far from the coast helps make it possible.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #8

Name: Larry and Gayle
Missouri
So, we got this 2012 13' scamp, (looks like a Tic Tac except for the air conditioner which is about half the size of the camper). I built a shelter for it, (Roof, sides ((down to about 6 inches above ground (((to keep the pack rats from building nests))) and open on the front so that I could back the trailer in and out). I call it the "Tic Tac Shack".

We go to Florida for the winter but we leave the Tic Tac home in the Tic Tac Shack. We have a stickie down in FL that we leave in an RV park. So, now with the Wuhan Virus, we are afraid to stay at motels on the trip down and back, so Wifey suggests that we take the Tic Tac to stay in on the usually 2 1/2 day trip there and back. When we get there the RV park owner says we can't park the Tic Tac behind our trailer causaonacounta there is some rule that says you can't have two RVs on the same plot. He says we can park it in a lot for storage that he has available.

Here's my question:
Tic Tac is in excellent condition. Stored under roof all it's life except when we are on the road with it. Should I buy a cover? Or should I just let it sit in the storage lot.

Yes, Winters in Florida are not as bad as summers, but it does get pretty warm in April.

Just asking.
Larry and Gayle D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #9

Name: Tony
Ohio
Larry & Gayle, Iíd cover it. The Sunís UV energy does most of the damage. A cover is a big help in keeping out the sun.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #10

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
... Iíd cover it. The Sunís UV energy does most of the damage. A cover is a big help in keeping out the sun.
I concur with Tony.

I was fortunate enough for the original owner of my Casita to include the Calmark cover when I bought it.

Since my Casita spends more of it's life in storage (in SW Ohio), I religiously put the cover on inbetween trips. I also acquired tire covers to (hopefully) protect and increase the lifespan of the tires.

The trade-off would be to forgo the cover but then wash/wax the trailer from time to time to renew and protect the fiberglass.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Airstream
Connecticut
Covercraft makes excellent custom covers. The one on my 16' Airstream Bambi is 5 years old and still works great.

Does not meet your $200 cover budget though. Mine cost about $700.

Mike
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #12

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
Then there is alway the 12X16 blue tarp! Bungees in the right places make this stay on well.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
My Scamp 13 has been protected by it's CalMark cover for 6 Southern Arizona summers, in full-exposure to the desert sun. Yes, they're expensive; but, it's very well-made and durable and I consider the cost to have been money well-spent.
Romerohiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #14

Name: Marcia
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
CA
Reconsider using Blue Tarp for cover

I am recommending folks living where the sun gets hot NOT to use plastic tarps (blue tarps too) as covers for their trailers. I don't know what the blue tarp does to the fiberglass trailers but I do know I had to scrape off the melted caulking from the hard shell metal trailer we used to have after it had been under a plastic tarp instead of under a proper trailer cover. We aren't hot here on the California coast but we do get sun...of course...and those plastic tarps are murder on the finish of hard shell/metal trailers. Not only that, but if you leave it long enough, you get blue tarp "strings" when the tarp degrades.

We solved our problem here by erecting a metal shed over the concrete trailer pad. Best decision for THAT sun problem, and compared to the cost of the trailer, the shed was not expensive.

Emjay
AGemjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
just a thought from a relatively uninformed small trailer owner, but I just bought a brand new white tarp from Princess Auto that covers my tralier.. cost 6.99 on sale... It will only last one year, but then I get a brand new one again afor 6.99...

Jturcot2 is offline   Reply With Quote