Trailer, Trailer hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 11:56 PM   #1

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
California
Trailer, Trailer hitch

We bought a 13' Scamp last year new with the receiver hitch option on the back end. I just ordered a bicycle rack for it, and want to know how much weight it's rated at. I sent an email to Scamp a month ago and got no reply. Anyone have an idea what the weight limit might be on it?
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Trailer, Trailer hitch

I believe it’s rated for more, but you will need to limit total weight- including the rack- to around 100# or so to avoid sway issues from too little tongue weight. You also need to make sure the rack is rated for use on a trailer- most are not (check the manual).

Just a heads-up... In addition to tongue weight, two issues I had with carrying bikes on the rear receiver of our 13’ Scamp were (1) damage to the bikes from banging around (back of the trailer bounces a lot), and (2) obscuring the rear taillights.

I eventually abandoned the rear rack in favor of this arrangement. Very stable, no banging, protected from weather and theft, and the trailer handles much better with weight centered over the axle. The “rack” is our 50# 10x10 canopy (which used to ride on the front sofa as ballast to counterbalance the bikes on the back).
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0419.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	135710

Others have had better results mounting a tray-type rack over the tongue. Less bouncing there, and better towing stability.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #3

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I thought the Scamp 13 receiver In the back is rated at 500 lbs. I have a 2020 13 ft Scamp and use a cargo carrier to help to manage the 200 lbs tongue weight limit on my tow vehicle. I put dirty stuff back there. I need to take care not to block the Scamp tail lights.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
We bought a 13' Scamp last year new with the receiver hitch option on the back end. I just ordered a bicycle rack for it, and want to know how much weight it's rated at. I sent an email to Scamp a month ago and got no reply. Anyone have an idea what the weight limit might be on it?
Having tried bikes on a rack using Scamp's rear bumper receiver, like Jon, we decided it isn't worth the problems and have found alternatives. Another reason for caution is that because of the sometimes violent bouncing that occurs at the tail end of a moving trailer most rack manufacturer's warn against using their racks on the rear of an RV trailer. I failed to read the fine print warning and had a quality name-brand rack break off (total loaded weight under 100 pounds) on the road. Happily the damage was minimal but had it been at higher speed on a busy road it could have been catastrophic.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #5

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I went back to look at what my paper work said regarding the weight allowance for the receiver. I couldn't find anything on it. The only thing I saw of interest was that Scamp calls it the '2 inch receiver for bike racks'. The 500 lb number I offered up earlier was for my carrier and not the receiver on the trailer.

For what it's worth, nothing that I have tied down has come loose. small grill, charcoal, small outside stuff.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote