Trailer Wash - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #1

Name: Reino
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Trailer Wash

Ready to take my 13 foot Scamp out of storage and would like to pressure wash the outside and flush the water system. Does anyone have a suggestion for where I might be able to do this? I am stored in the Twin Cities suburb of Hugo.
Vanhamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Just out of curiosity , “ Why do you feel the need to pressure wash your trailer ?
I wash mine with a 5 gallon bucket of water , car wash soap and a long car wash brush . I have never had an issue getting my trailer clean even after a long winter of sitting in my driveway
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:04 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Just out of curiosity , “ Why do you feel the need to pressure wash your trailer ?...
Maybe he wants to see how many leak points he can create

But seriously.. I have such a problem keeping my Scamp dry the last thing I want to do is spray water at high pressure at it. I might pressure wash far from the windows, vents, etc... but that leaves only a few square feet at best where I might consider pressure washing.

Last week we had over two inches of rain in one day, and for a short time I had a leak under the (large) fridge on the starboard side. It was not much water, or should I say that the water I found was not much - who knows how much more was hidden. The fridge vent does seem to be an occasion problem. Looking at it today I noticed that with the trailer level, the bottom of the lower fridge vent frame tilts inward. So maybe some of the water that drips down along the frame ends up inside. I do find that the wood that the fridge is mounted on gets wet sometimes. I tried a mod that might help but time will tell.

If I pressure washed around the vent however, I am sure that water would get in. I only hand wash and I use care how I spray water from the garden hose.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I wash my scamp at home. What I do so I do not have to spray to much water around the main vents is to take the vents off and wash them separate, in a bucket and really get them good and clean. Then I tape a piece of plastic over opening and wash the camper. The dirtiest and hardest part is to clean those vents why they are attached. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #5

Name: Reino
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Big guts are the reason I am thinking pressure washing. I must admit I am having second thoughts about that now and maybe I should just ask for suggestions on cleaning bug guts off the fiberglass.
Vanhamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you have a good coat of wax on the front, bugs wash off fairly easily. If not, they can be a PITA, and I doubt a pressure wash will help much. (I'm assuming you're just talking about a pressure wand at a car wash, not a high pressure washer designed to take the paint off a house, right? )

You'll probably end up having to use a combination of elbow grease and a mild abrasive like Barkeeper's Friend (I like to make it into a thin paste). Plastic "razor blade" scrapers are a handy, fiberglass-friendly removal tool, too.

If you live where you cannot wash at home, take a bucket and rags with you to a self-serve car wash. Get started with the pressure wand, avoiding pointing directly at windows and vents. Use it to fill your bucket. Get as much off as you can with the brush, and finish the really tough bugs by hand using the bucket.

Then wax, wax, wax.

HINT- with a supply of baby wipes while you travel, you can wipe bugs off before they get really dried on.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:00 AM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Has anyone tried any of those microfiber cleaning cloths? They're supposed to be non-scratching but also behave a little like a scrubber.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote