trailer windage in a blow--Will it stay upright? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
trailer windage in a blow--Will it stay upright?

The coming of Irene brings this question to the top of my list. Anyone had a glass trailer toppled, rolled, or tumbled in tornado or hurricane winds? I figure my 17 Burro is right at 1.5 ton but the windage really bothers me. I wish I had buried concrete dead men with eyebolts to snug it down! If wishes were horses. . . .

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
The coming of Irene brings this question to the top of my list. Anyone had a glass trailer toppled, rolled, or tumbled in tornado or hurricane winds? I figure my 17 Burro is right at 1.5 ton but the windage really bothers me. I wish I had buried concrete dead men with eyebolts to snug it down! If wishes were horses. . . .

jack
Well you probably know by now, but how about those screw-in house trailer anchors with slings across the axle?
Wishing you all the best.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Keeping fingers crossed that your donkey stays upright! I'm kind of fretting a little but I think I'll be getting slightly less whomped on by Irene than you guys in Delaware.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
You have rounded edges in your favor, at least....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #5

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Our Scamp is out there getting pounded by Irene. I hope all is well in the morning. She just ripped a walnut tree out of the ground. Fell away from the house, fortunately. Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the night. It is still picking up at this point. I'm glad my wife and boy are at grandma and grandpa's for the night.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Our Scamp is out there getting pounded by Irene. I hope all is well in the morning. She just ripped a walnut tree out of the ground. Fell away from the house, fortunately. Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the night. It is still picking up at this point. I'm glad my wife and boy are at grandma and grandpa's for the night.
All the best results for you and your family and neighbors!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #7

Delaware
I'm surrounded by Norway spruce and huge Silver Maple "weeds". So far so good but the ground's saturated and will depend on the wind strength. Hope the vehicles and the roof don't take a hit.

jack
Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Okay....report? Still upright? I'm waiting for the roads to calm down a little before going to check on mine.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
save that tree if possible and call a exotic wood lumber yard....walnuts not cheap
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Irene!

So far a relative non-event. Though it rained all night really nothing special in terms of local flooding. The surf is up but again with in the range of normalcy.
Attached Thumbnails
Beach.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've been watching CNN all morning. As Irene moves north, it appears wind is not the major concern anymore, but flooding is! Of course, once the ground gets totally saturated with water, the slightest breeze will take trees down.

Safe harbor everyone.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #12

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we are expecting lots of rain and wind +++ tonight and into tomorrow. everything is battened down and now,,,just the waiting continues. the weather network has shown some nasty video clips from virginia/new york city and areas....lots of flooding so far.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Our little Casita made it through okay. I ran chain to a fence post and used 2 2500lb ratchet straps to other posts as an improvised tie down. Although during the thick of it she didn't move a bit. We were pretty fortunate, I hope everyone else and thier eggs are safe.

Don and Brenda
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #14

Delaware
Know you have to go to storage to check, Jen. We got off easy. Donkey still on its feet. Best I could do was lower the tongue jack to the max which would help with wind lift from the west and after end butted up to garage to the east so only likely problem was wind from the north and northeast.

I have a submersible as the sump pump basement has on occasion found the storm sewer full and sat there pumping against full pipes and had to be shut down and the bucket brigade (me) brought on line. Didn't need.

Every last flying, rolling, tumbling, swinging object stowed outdoors. Wind was never strong here possibly because we are in the lee of the brow of the Faulkland "Heights" relative to eastern and northeastern exposure. Possible tornadic activity didn't materialize altho very close by. This isn't unusual for our precise location as tornadoes tend to "jump" the Red Clay valley which is pretty much an ancient erosion ravine or gap thru the Piedmont.

Is a bit unusual for hurricane eyes to stick this close inshore past DelMarVA peninsula. And this one was hyped overmuch for a Cat 1. That's of course hindsight on my part. Large-scale power outages at the shore seem to be the major lingering effect; flooding widespread inland but some Delaware River estuaries we're familiar with well below records. We're grateful that weathermen dont MAKE the weather! No question the authorities bought the whole story on severity and justifiable no doubt but generally this neighborhood was blessed by not getting a date to the dance. I haven't walked down to the bridge on the Red Clay yet. There is no barrier or cop at the top of the hill yet so I assume the bridge is still there and passable.

jack
Old 08-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
Great to hear everybody and their stuff is okay. Rucio is rubber side down, and the horse trailer cover I use was left largely unmolested by the wind.

My neighborhood is just uphill from the Philadelphia art museum, Boathouse Row, and the Schuylkill river. We walked down to the river at the Waterworks this morning and boy was it high, muddy, and roiling with debris and logs.

And somehow, I don't know why, my basement stayed bone dry. I don't understand but I'll take it.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #16

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
We had a few trees downed. A black walnut about 3 feet off my deck fell away from the house. A 50 foot poplar fell against the 2nd story deck. Branches were brushing the windows, but nothing broke. Spent all day with a chainsaw, pole saw, diesel tractor, and a whole pile of chains to get it off the house. A 100 foot poplar fell on our class A motorhome. I expect it to be a total loss. We also lost two other 100 foot poplars... And another may be damaged beyond repair.

The Scamp is fine, though!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Well the wind didn't seem too strong here in western NB (Houlton ME/Woodstock N but the power went out just before midnight and no sign of it coming on any time soon. The Trillium weathered the storm perfectly. I filled all the fresh water tanks to add weight for wind stability so I'm good for a while. Isn't it great to have a spare home? Yup!
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
Here in Vermont, the wind was not the big story ... it was the rain and subsequent flooding. Rivers took out roads and bridges all up & down the state. Irene took a healthy piece outta this land-locked piece of New England.

"Can't get there from here" is an apt adage. The road crews will be busy for the next few weeks ... state and town.

Here t'home, we are at about 1700' and are fine ... no need to go anywhere ... and couldn't get there if we did!