triilium window woes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Name: Laurie
Trailer: dreamin and a planning
Ontario
triilium window woes

Hi there!
I have never posted on any forum before but I am somewhat at my wits end here. Hubby and I just acquired a 13 foot early trillium. It did need some work so we sent it out to have some upgrades and repairs done. Just got it back yesterday and I feel like we are in worse shape than when we started. Here is one of the most pressing issues and questions I have...

1...the trailer was one of the earlier ones that have a boler type window on the front and the back. The rubber sealer was split and gapping at the bottom of both windows but they did not leak. The plexiglass window was scratched on both windows and also cracked on one window. We wanted the windows and rubber sealer replaced. the repairman replaced the front and back rubber trim with a locking trim. The locking strip was installed on the inside of the trailer. The front window had the old cracked plexi put back and the back window has new poly in it. The back window rubber seal did not go all around...again there is a 2-3" gap that was filled with a piece and some type of rubber gooped on it. It rained last night and both windows leak..a lot! One of the questions I have is "would the fact that the locker strip is installed on the inside contribute to the leakage?

That is just the beginning of the woes...the new vent we purchased was installed backward...the door was supposed to be repaired but all that was done was he installed a "old" piece of rubber trim from a junked car all around the door including across the bottom that had the metal piece for stepping in. It is only a matter of very little time before I trip over that rubber and pull it off the floor....LOL. The door did close and lock ok but now it is hard to close from the outside and when we are in the trailer it won't close from the inside.

We did pay a lot to have this done and in hindsight maybe we should have done it ourselves as I feel that this guy was just getting an "education" at our expense.

Ok rant over...gonna dry my eyes and figure out how to fix this mess...thanks for listening...Laurie
dolltrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #2

Name: Adam
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia
The shop should be accountable for any work they did or didn't do that was paid for. If they weren't comfortable to didn't know how to do the job they should have said so. I would seek some compensation from them or have them do the job correctly. Sounds like you've lost faith in them though and I would too, so compensation and then taking it somewhere else or doing it yourself may be your best option.

Berz out.
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Hard to find anyone that understands vintage FG trailers. Your windows sound similar to Boler and Scamp. I think people have answered this in the past, using parts from Scamp.

Its hard to get clarity on repair work, but on something unusual like this I make sure I am there during the repair process and have a clear understanding what the person will do. I've had too many "professionals" make a mess of something (I own two 1930s homes for example). Any time a repair person has to make a decision, if I am not there in person, its less than 50/50 that their decision will be OK with me.

Note, I learned this lesson the hard way......

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-36922.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There is some debate about whether the rubber lock strip goes on the inside or the outside. Uhaul side windows had it on the inside, with a little tab so it could be pulled out and then the window pushed out for an emergency exit. The rubber weatherstrip that holds the window is available with different groove thicknesses for various wall thickness and glass thickness. It can be somewhat challenging to install windows with the new weatherstrip. Look at perfect fit.com for examples of the weatherstrip that is available.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Laurie, fyi, a great vintage FGRV mechanic in Ontario is:

Paul Neumeister (A1 Auto Refinishing)
345 Huron Rd, Sebringville, ON N0K 1X0, Canada
Phone: 519-393-6410

Paul has some new old stock Boler and Trillium parts and he does molded fiberglass camper body and mechanical work. He replaced the axles on our former Boler 13 and on our current Trillium 4500.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #6

Name: Laurie
Trailer: dreamin and a planning
Ontario
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am researching and looking into redoing what has been done but am going to give the shop a chance to make things somewhat "right" first. I haven't given up just got a bit deflated for a while.
dolltrek is offline   Reply With Quote