trill 1300 furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
trill 1300 furnace

Hi,

I have a 78 trillium. It has some hard miles on it but I'm working on bringing it bck to life.

Right now, I'm debating removing the furnace and using a catalytic heater (mr buddy?

The furnace seems to work fine but it takes up a lot of room and its almost 40 years old. I have read that they can become dangerous with age.

We also have a larger 2014 trailer and we seldom use the furnace. Its quite well insulated though and we generally try for electric sites so we use an electric heater.

However with the trill, I plan on being off the grid more if I go on outings without my wife.

I know there are condensation issues with catalytic heaters.

Has anyone any suggestions on size of catalytic heater etc?

Am I in the right forum for this question?

Thanks.
Mitch Drackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #2

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Drackett View Post
Hi,

I have a 78 trillium. It has some hard miles on it but I'm working on bringing it bck to life.

Right now, I'm debating removing the furnace and using a catalytic heater (mr buddy?

Thanks.
You've heard of Propex?
It seems to be the best alternative to catalytic heater.
Propex North America • Propex Heatsource USA and Canada
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #3

Hi Gilles. Propex may be an alternative. For me the forced air part (and the cost) is an issue. I'm also considering a 12v fridge so dc power is a concern.

I won't rule them out though.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
most catalytic heaters are not rated for inside use .your better of with the one you have. with a thermal switch from a dryer and a small computer fan you can heat a lot faster and hotter on mine -5 no fan top heat +13 .-5 with fan +23 worked for me. Happy Trails.Mike
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
A Mr. Buddy heater is not a catalytic heater. It makes quite a bit of CO. I would not use one.

The furnace that is in your trailer is likely fine. Have a service tech check it out, but I have several of the same vintage. The fire box on each is solid. I have yet to find one that was in danger of rusting through. Who told you they were dangerous?

They are no longer allowed to be installed new. The surface temperature gets high enough that there is a theoretical danger of fire, but I have never heard of a fire starting this way.

While it looks like they take up a lot of space, they are installed in front of the wheel well. The vent goes over the wheel well. There is really not much space there. If your furnace works, I see no reason to replace it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #6

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Hi Gilles. Propex may be an alternative. For me the forced air part (and the cost) is an issue. I'm also considering a 12v fridge so dc power is a concern.

I won't rule them out though.
It could be a good alternative.
I did not find the English version of this document RCI, Radio-Canada International.
As against the video is in English ...

Un réfrigérateur Ã* 30$, une invention canadienne lauréate d’un prix mondial
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Have your furnace checked out , if it is good - keep it , it was designed for your unit so it is the best choice .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
12V fridge,

Quote:
Hi,

The furnace seems to work fine but it takes up a lot of room and its almost 40 years old. I have read that they can become dangerous with age.

We also have a larger 2014 trailer and we seldom use the furnace. Its quite well insulated though and we generally try for electric sites so we use an electric heater.

However with the trill, I plan on being off the grid more if I go on outings without my wife.

I know there are condensation issues with catalytic heaters.

Has anyone any suggestions on size of catalytic heater etc?

Am I in the right forum for this question?

Thanks.
Re if your going to go 12V on Fridge your going to use up that battery real fast, so make sure you install at least a 50W solar panel somewhere to pick up the sun or even on dull days it will stay charged to keep the Fridge going.
The solar panel will also help with the fan juice for the furnace.
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Re if your going to go 12V on Fridge your going to use up that battery real fast, so make sure you install at least a 50W solar panel somewhere to pick up the sun or even on dull days it will stay charged to keep the Fridge going.
The solar panel will also help with the fan juice for the furnace.
That's a great idea! If I get a 12v fridge, they apparently draw about 2 amps. Hopefully they cycle so its not a constant 2 amps/hour. I'm thinking a 70ah battery should yield about 24 hours of juice but.... so many variables.

My old fridge works but not well and I just know it will die the moment I set up camp somewherere. It took a day to frost up when it was in the 40's outside

That's the problem with a 40 yr old unit. Everything just kinda works!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Lots of luck trying to run a 12V fridge on a 50 watt solar panel.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Lots of luck trying to run a 12V fridge on a 50 watt solar panel.
Actually, I would probably use a larger solar panel for minimal extra cost. I think he had recommended "at least" a 50 watt.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:25 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think you need to do much more research on solar and on running a fridge on 12v.
I wouldn't place my confidence in one web post.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:48 AM   #13

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Mitch,
If you do decide to remove the existing furnace, please pm me. I am interested. Been looking for one.

Cathy
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace