Trillium belly band--possible new repair method - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Trillium belly band--possible new repair method

Hi
So sooner or later i am going to need to repair the one on my '75 Trill.

Earlier in the summer my girlfriend fractured an ankle, and the she had a fiberglass cast put on at the hospital. This is interesting stuff. Comes in a foil sealed envelope which contains a 10 foot roll of 3 inch wide fiberglass tape impregnated with air and water activated resin. The "cast tech" rips open the envelope dunks the rolls in cool water for a few seconds, and then wraps it around the ankle and leg. In THREE minutes it is set. He mentioned that it will set even if not water activated, but will take longer.

Here is an ebay link to the stuff
Fiberglass Casting Tape: Health & Beauty | eBay

I was wondering if anyone had tried using it on a Trillium belly band repair. Might make the repair easier and quicker.

I was thinking that as in other threads, you would remove the actual belly band, cut out the metal tabs, and rough up the fiberglass seams.

Then take the fiberglass casting tape unroll it while folding it in half, and then stick it in the belly band slot. You would then later put an additional coating of regular fiberglass resin on the tape to fill in the pores of the tape, followed by bondo and sanding.

Does this all sound like it might be worth a try?
Francis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Well that is an amazing idea! I have a ratty lower edge of our Boler, just in front of the bumper. I have read that people just cut a smooth opening edge with a jigsaw, but that would leave a bigger defect. I will look forward to any input on this.
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I used the epoxy roll material to do mine on the 4500.

The stick has the 2 materials separate and when you knead them together it activates the epoxy and you have a 1/2 hour or so before it hardens in place.

I crammed it into the voids left from removing the rusted plates and smoother it as well as I could and then came back and sanded smooth once hard.

It worked well and was simple to do.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Hi
Just read in another post about this unknown to me product called Captaintollry Creeping Crack Cure?
Facing belly band problems and woundered if anyone has tried this product as a solution?

Clains to be flexible, water soluble, dries clear and cures in 24 hours.
Sounds too good to be true, but if not, I can invision all kinds of RV/trailer applictions!
Any input greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
casting material!thats a great idea,

ED, what product is that epoxy roll you are talking about?
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #6

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
i've been seraching the net about the cast material.
its to be confirm but from what i've read, its not waterproof...
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Casting fiberglass is very different from polyester-based fiberglass. I doubt it would bond well to the cured polyester resin. Probably much safer to stick with other traditional fiberglassing solutions.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Donna. Under better late than never..... I've used Capt Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (got to love the name). It was recommended for hair line spider cracks in gel coat. My concern was water getting in them and expanding when frozen. It comes in a squeeze bottle with a viscosity similar to water. As the cracks on my Trillium have not gotten any larger, I assume the stuff works. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-1504543973.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium