TV for 17.5CB Bigfoot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #21

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Liberty Deluxe
I gotta admit ... I, too, entered this thread thinking we were going to talk about televisions. (We have a 5 inch black-and-white big screen in our 17 footer ... yup, black and white. Uses far, far fewer amps than color ... and we do an awful lot of boondocking).

But, alas, the conversations about tow vehicles.

In general ... go with the largest tow vehicle and biggest motor ... point and period.

Problem's not pulling a trailer ... problem's not being the first one to the top of the mountain.

The problem with towing is simple.

The problem is towing a trailer is being able to:

1. Stop the trailer
2. Control the trailer, particularly during a panic stop, rolling down a steep moutain grade

You never want to get yourself in a situation where the "tail's wagging the dog."

Towing a dealer's trailer, around the dealer's neighborhood, tells you little, if nothing about how your vehicle is going to react in a PANIC stop situation.

True Panic stop situations are rare ... but your life (or atleast your limbs) will depend on your tow vehicle's ability to stop your trailer in a controlled fashion.

I've long advocated that folks find a deserted road, get rolling at expressway speeds, then SLAM ON THE BRAKES ... to see how their combination is going to react.

And in all the years I've been pulling fiberglass rigs ... in all the campgrounds ... I've never heard anyone complain about "having too much" tow vehicle.
Charles Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:31 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I ha e a 2004 Toyota 4Runner V8. Mine is the SR5 model, which does not have an air suspension rear (limited model does). The Canadian models have a poor trailer hitch, so I upgraded. The Toyota towed my 17' Bigfoot well, as the vehicle has a 7,000 lb tow rating with a WD hitch. The V8 model comes with a transmission and engine oil cooler standard, as well as the wiring to the dash to enable the easy install of a brake controller. I am using an Ultima 2020.

I am pleased with the Toyota and its towing ability.

Rick B
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:59 AM   #23

Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 17 ft.5 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Linda E Brewer
Talking

This is absolutely the best blog site on the web! Thank you very much for all of your input. It is soooo nice to not have to reinvent the wheel. We can hardly wait for June and our first summer on the road.
Linda E Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #24

Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 17 ft / Touareg V8
I tow my 17ft. bigfoot with a VW Touareg V8. Lots of power, big Brembo brakes, self leveling, factory hitch is expensive but interfaces with the computers. You hardly know it is behind you until you look in the rear view mirror. Rig will tow up to 6,600 lbs. with tongue weight of 660 lbs. If trailer is hooked up, the anti-thieft alarm will sound if someone would try to unplug and steal it.

ufda
JOHN PAUL EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:51 PM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
I'm puzzled.. I just bought Harry Gaudier's 1989 17' Bigfoot, and Harry gave me the paperwork and all the manuals that came with the Bigfoot. I even have the sales brochure. The brochure says that the 17' Bigfoot DLX has "approximate" 1875 lbs weight, dry, and 230 lbs hitch weight, dry. Axle capacity is advertised at 3500 lbs max...

How could we explain the huge difference in weight between the 2005 Bigfoot, and the 1989 Bigfoot? They're the same size aren't they? Can anyone explain?

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:52 PM   #26

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I haven't seen an 89, but the new ones are very elegantly appointed, with fancy counters and wood and "stuff". Maybe this accounts for some?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Possibly more options.It don't take much to add weight.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #28

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Chester Taje Posted Today, 07:00 AM
Quote:
It don't take much to add weight
I agree...the [b]smell of chocolate usually does it for me........
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #29

Trailer: Bigfoot
From a happy BIGFOOT owner, get a pickup.The T/T is great, but it is bulky item storage handicapped. You will probably get a gen and you do not want to smell the fuel.I had a suburban for 2years, and traded for a truck.Now my bike, Avon, otbd motor, fihing gear,and lounges all get placed in in the bed out of sight and out of mind. :
DAVID K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #30

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21RB) 2007 Bunkbed version
Quote:
I'm puzzled.. I just bought Harry Gaudier's 1989 17' Bigfoot, and Harry gave me the paperwork and all the manuals that came with the Bigfoot. I even have the sales brochure. The brochure says that the 17' Bigfoot DLX has "approximate" 1875 lbs weight, dry, and 230 lbs hitch weight, dry. Axle capacity is advertised at 3500 lbs max...

How could we explain the huge difference in weight between the 2005 Bigfoot, and the 1989 Bigfoot? They're the same size aren't they? Can anyone explain?

Yves.

I believe it was in 2005 that Bigfoot upgraded the 17 ft model from the 1500 series to the 2500 series. The change included a substantial increase to the insulating qualties of the trailer which must have added to the overall weight. I've also heard/read that the model was widened as well though others might know more about that. On my trailer I have two 30# propane tanks instead of the usual 20#ers, a microwave, an 80W solar panel, thermopane window, etc., etc., which adds to the weight. The axle on the 25175CB/G models also is rated at 4400# which indicates that Bigfoot increased the overall weight of the trailer over the years.

Bernie
Bernie Seward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #31

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
Quote:
I believe it was in 2005 that Bigfoot upgraded the 17 ft model from the 1500 series to the 2500 series. The change included a substantial increase to the insulating qualties of the trailer which must have added to the overall weight. I've also heard/read that the model was widened as well though others might know more about that. On my trailer I have two 30# propane tanks instead of the usual 20#ers, a microwave, an 80W solar panel, thermopane window, etc., etc., which adds to the weight. The axle on the 25175CB/G models also is rated at 4400# which indicates that Bigfoot increased the overall weight of the trailer over the years.

Bernie

Thanks!

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:48 PM   #32

Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Quote:

Yves.
The new Bigfoot is 10" longer (17' 5" vs 16' 7") with thicker walls, a heavier frame (center section is stacked 2" X 4" rectangular tubing for a 8" total depth), has a bigger axle with 12" brakes, larger 15" tires, greater capacity holding tanks, includes a great many standard features that were either optional or unavailable with the earlier Bigfoot models. Its "dry" weight is listed at 2895lbs. Dry weight will probably not include items like a spare tire, full propane cylinders, any optional equipment etc. By the time you add options and load up with supplies and water, it will easily top 4000lbs and may approach the listed 4300lb GVW.

My 2000 17' CB has a listed dry weight of 2490lbs and an additional 250lbs of factory installed options. This is around 2750 lbs with no propane, water, food, tools, camping gear, and doesn't include items I have added - solar panels, inverter, larger battery, macerator pump, water pump accumulator, and wiring upgrades. It also doesn't include the dealer installed airconditioner, cd player and stabilizer jacks. The last time I weighed my fully loaded unit, it was at its axle gvw limit of 3500lbs to which one would have to add around 350lbs tongue weight for a total of 38-3900lbs.

Earlier model Bigfoot trailers may well be somewhat lighter, due to less options and smaller and lighter appliances - For example, I think the refrigerator is smaller on the older models. With careful loading and empty tanks, I think it is possible they could weigh less than 3000lbs. Perhaps an owner who has actually weighed his early model while in camping trim will respond with a real world total weight?

Steve.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #33

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
I just bought a 1994 17' Bigfoot and I started to tow it around with just a regular hitch. I then bought a Draw-Tite WDH for 550 lb. tongue weight. BIG difference. I also have a Tundra 4WD V-8. I would not want to tow the 17' Bigfoot with anything less than a V-8.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot