U-haul 13ct - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
New to the "egg" world and looking for wise and expert advise. I bought a '85 13ct U-haul from Eric Nelson of Ohio who had previously been on FGRV. I am trying to finish up what he was not able to do before I bought it. Other than a small leak somewhere around the ceiling vent and some stress cracks, it appears to be in pretty good shape. I am wanting to replace all of the windows, fill in some of the cracks and drill holes, put in a fan-tastic fan, and possibly a new axle with brakes. When that is done, I would like to paint it to match my S10 Crew Cab. I really don't know where to start as to finding replacement windows. I keep reading about Scamp windows but I can't seem to find anything that says that they will actually fit. I've also heard about Dexter axles and brakes, but I am not sure that a "weekend-do it yourselfer" like myself would be able to install it. What kind of difficulty is it to put in windows and an axle? Or would it be advisable to have someone else do them all? And if so, can anyone give me a name of a good restorer in the Columbus, Ohio area? I would like to get everything completed yet this summer.

Also am looking for information on what appears to be a front bunk option. Does anyone know how to get a hold of one of these or how it worked? And there is a "V" shape series of holes on the front wall that starts at the window and goes on down to the bunk. I've seen it in pictures of other ct's but can not determine what it is for.

From all that I've read and seen so far, I can see where this site will be a bible for me. Thanks
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I'd direct you to the Uhaul forum site but it isnt working right now and hasnt for a few days....not sure why.
Theres a post on there thats recent with a bunch of pics that will answer your bunk questions. Mine has the bunks but we leave it down for a couch of sorts....and I think some people have made a dinette there also , though I imagine they have tiny legs, there isnt an abundance of room there.
Anyhow when the site comes back on I'll message you.

the axle I think may still be available from uhaul , though i believe theyre welded in, I havent looked, maybe not. Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
If you can afford a new axel, go for it. Then you don't have to worry about finding the proprietary rims and hubs.

Likewise with windows. I think people who had them replaced, either had a glass place make them or used windows made by other companies that necessitated cutting larger holes.

CindyL
Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #4

Registry
when you think about it any hub and axle you install has specific rims and hubs dont they? I also believe people are underestimating how good the hubs on one of these really are. In reality they're very simular to whats on the back axle of a mid sized gm front wheel drive car of the mid 80's and up and carrying less weight. They are sealed units requiring no servicing despite what people have attempted to do with them, youre not gonna improve them by hacking into one and operating. I know I worked at a pontiac dealership till early 90's and never once seen a failed bearing or hub of this type.
wheels really arent a problem and most people dont have a set on that fits both the pattern and the hub anyhow.
That said, if your torsion axles are bad you will have a few choices to make but I wouldn't be afraid to use uhaul parts if available....theyre very toughly made. Bruce

Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Hey Marty,
I am the person who posted the bunk stuff on the U-haul site. I recently took mine apart, took photos of the wood that stabilizes the bunk and the hinge that attaches it to the back wall. I am pretty busy at work right now but was planning to post the info here too. Hopefully next week.
Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I'd direct you to the Uhaul forum site but it isnt working right now and hasnt for a few days....not sure why.
Does anybody know where he is located? The outage seemed to occur with some of the severe storms that took place.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I spoke with Scamp about their jalousie windows because they are very well priced and I prefer that style of window. From what I could tell, the windows would have been almost exactly the same width and within about 1/2" of the height (speaking of the pair of rear side widows here). I figured I would be able to work with that.

What I can't do is make any guarantee, because I did not keep the U-haul, so I did not order the windows. Still, I think it is the option I would consider seriously if I had one.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #8

Registry
All I can say is that we were out in the middle of nowhere Wyoming when one of our hubs went. We found an RV 90 miles back in Cheyenne that agreed to look at it and nice folks at the Motel 6 where we parked it who let us leave it there overnight while we took the broken hub back to Cheyenne.
The RV place had no way to help us except to offer to drop by the Dexter place in Denver the next day, where we would have to replace axel, hubs, and wheels with Dexter ones, as the wheels are proprietary. They recommended checking with a welding place first to see if they could fix the hub. The welding place said that they could work on it the next day, but then discovered that it had already been repaired (The ball bearings all fell out at the Motel 6.), so they were not sure that they could repair it.
Happily, someone mentioned a UHaul dealer who had been in business for 30 years and also repaired Uhaul things. He happened not to be in, as there was a rodeo in Cheyenne. He returned a call after we checked into a roach-infested motel, since all the good ones were filled due to the rodeo, and let us go over to his shop. He said that UHaul no longer allows him to keep parts on the shelves; you must order them, sometimes taking 3 weeks. However, it just so happened that he did have some hubs leftover. He said that there were 3 kinds of UHaul hubs, so he did not guarantee them to be right. He brought them out; they matched the broken hub we had with us. We bought both and had the UHaul VT on the road the next day.

Now, if we had had Dexter parts, it would have been fixable by the first RV place. We would not have had to rely on providence to provide us with the proprietary UHaul hubs.

CindyL
Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #9

Registry
Roy,

Jim from uhaulcamper is in CA somewhere.

CindyL
Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Now, if we had had Dexter parts, it would have been fixable by the first RV place. We would not have had to rely on providence to provide us with the proprietary UHaul hubs.

CindyL
And just think of all the fancy wheels you have to choose from! I'd think if someone is thinking about changing a Uhaul axle, going with Dexter is a good move. Besides if they have three good Uhaul wheels, those can be sold to help cover the cost of the change out
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #11

Registry
you can put alot of different wheels and bigger on a uhaul without changing the axle or hubs....Cindy, were your hubs ever altered? those are the only ones ive seen fail.....Bruce
Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Marty,
I'm in Michigan and might just have the fiberglass section that attaches in those holes under the window. (I think it's in my garage) It is what the hinge attaches to and supports the back of the bunk. I removed it because it made the front bench seat too shallow. I prefer the deeper couch that I now have after removing the bunk and fiberglass panel.
If you want the fiberglass piece, you can have it (you need to pick up - it is big and bulky). I can post some photos if you want.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
And just think of all the fancy wheels you have to choose from! I'd think if someone is thinking about changing a Uhaul axle, going with Dexter is a good move. Besides if they have three good Uhaul wheels, those can be sold to help cover the cost of the change out

And sell the hubs too! Great idea! And, in our case, the original UHaul hubcaps (except we can't use them, as our new tires don't fit those hubs. But no, they are not for sale.)

Bruce - I don't know. I only know that I saw the tire facing cock-eyed after we stopped for lunch and saw all the bearings fall out when Kevin took the wheel off.

CindyL
Old 06-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Does anybody know where he is located? The outage seemed to occur with some of the severe storms that took place.
The home page at http://www.uhaulcamper.com said something about an upgrade, "to bring us new features?" The forum has been 404 since then.

I saved the long, recent post about the window repair somewhere. I think replacement windows would be rather expensive, like $400 to $600 dollars each, if you can find ones that fit. I believe I did read something about someone putting Scamp windows in a Burro, I'll see if I can find it. I think they were the jalousie style. The Scamp stuff seems to be well priced.

Regards,

Matt
Old 06-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Found the post on scamp windows in the Burro. This poster had researched and priced jalousies for his u-haul. If you go this route let me know how it goes. The price looks good!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=355676

Old 06-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Marty,
I'm in Michigan and might just have the fiberglass section that attaches in those holes under the window. (I think it's in my garage) It is what the hinge attaches to and supports the back of the bunk. I removed it because it made the front bench seat too shallow. I prefer the deeper couch that I now have after removing the bunk and fiberglass panel.
If you want the fiberglass piece, you can have it (you need to pick up - it is big and bulky). I can post some photos if you want.
Hi Pam,
Thanks for the response. So that's what the "V" is for! I wouldn't have guessed. I sure would be interested in the piece if you are willing to part with it. I'd gladly buy it from you. We have 2 smaller g-kids and the bunk set up would work great for us. If you have a pic, that would be nice too. Would give me an idea of how it works. What part of Michigan are you in? We'll be heading to Wisconsin the week of the 4th, and could possibly swing by depending on where you are. I've received a lot of help from the site. Seems like a great bunch of people like yourself. Thanks for the help

Marty
Old 06-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Hey Marty,
I am the person who posted the bunk stuff on the U-haul site. I recently took mine apart, took photos of the wood that stabilizes the bunk and the hinge that attaches it to the back wall. I am pretty busy at work right now but was planning to post the info here too. Hopefully next week.
Bridget
Bridget,
Thanks for the reply. Pics would be great! I have no idea how the bunks went together. Had a response from Pam who may have the base for the "V" holes that I didn't know what were used for. It would be nice to have a completed camper. I just know that we'll enjoy it more than our old pop up.

Marty
Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #18

Wow! Thanks to all who responded to the quest of restoring my U-haul. Seems like a real great group who enjoy their campers and enjoy helping each other as well as "newbies" like myself. I'm sure that I'll be looking in often. Maybe someday I can offer some tangible advise too.

Thanks again guys,

Marty D.

haven't quite figure out this posting and replying bit. comes with time? :-)
Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Marty, 'll be checking in my garage this weekend for the bunk support - stay tuned. I might have the legs too.
I'm located half hour south of Flint in Fenton, which is kind of mid-state (in the 'palm' part if using your hand as a Michigan map). If 4th does not work out, maybe can meet somewhere. How far away are you in OH?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #20

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
One note on the U-haul sofa/bunk (in case you are going to some expense or trouble to get the piece and might like this information before-hand).

When you have the couchback/bunk installed, and you then lower the bunk (to make a couch back), you are left with only about a 12" deep couch "seat." In other words, it's not really a couch for most people. Something like a Boler, in comparison, which "bulges" in the front, will still have a "normal" sized couch seat when the back is down. It's just a factor of the trailer shape, I guess.

I think this is one reason you don't see very many U-haul 13's with the bunk still intact.

An option might be to rig up the couch back as only an un-upholstered board, and then add somethign like a Thermarest pad to it for sleeping (saving depth on the couch seat when folded down), or some sort of back that slid flatly under the couch cushion by day, and could be put up at night (four legs?).

Again, not to say you should not try it, but before you potentially go to the effort or spend money I thought I would mention the resulting ~12" deep couch.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul