Under the seats - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 1977 13 ft Scamp
We are in the process of reno on our 13 ft Scamp and we are at the point were we just removed all the old flooring and now have the subfloor. Our new flooring is going to just cover under the table and the main floor. I need some ideas for under the benches. I was thinking about just painting the wood, but now I'm thinking I'd like to have something nicer, maybe carpet or does anyone have another idea? What have people done that have redone their little trailers? Thanks!
Danielle Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #2

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
We are in the process of reno on our 13 ft Scamp and we are at the point were we just removed all the old flooring and now have the subfloor. Our new flooring is going to just cover under the table and the main floor. I need some ideas for under the benches. I was thinking about just painting the wood, but now I'm thinking I'd like to have something nicer, maybe carpet or does anyone have another idea? What have people done that have redone their little trailers? Thanks!
I cut some thin rubber-backed carpet (Lowes, sold by the foot) to fit. It looks much better than the rough painted floor. I made it just a little large on the front (curved) edges and then cut into it a couple of inches a few places along those front edges so it would overlap the rat fur a little.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I would suggest the use of sheet vinyl flooring sealed around the edges.
Foam carpet could aggravate any moisture problem you might have,(or develope) by holding moisure against the wood and not allowing it to dry , thereby possibly hosting mold and rot.
The vinyl is wipe clean and offers a sanitary floor for the storage area.
The carpet would offer a cushion for stored items though which could be some advantage.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Our new flooring is going to just cover under the table and the main floor.
If your new flooring is a laminate, I would agree with Floyd. If you do carpet, I would not make it permanent, but make it removable for cleaning and floor inspection... and would paint the floor beneath the carpet.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
If your new flooring is a laminate, I would agree with Floyd. If you do carpet, I would not make it permanent, but make it removable for cleaning and floor inspection... and would paint the floor beneath the carpet.
Just to clarify.... I was talking about the floor of the space under(inside) the seating area, not the floor in the traffic area.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
I cut some thin rubber-backed carpet (Lowes, sold by the foot) to fit. It looks much better than the rough painted floor. I made it just a little large on the front (curved) edges and then cut into it a couple of inches a few places along those front edges so it would overlap the rat fur a little.

Parker
Our new flooring is wood so we don't want to do that under the seats - this carpet by the foot is along the lines of something I am considering. However, we don't have Lowes in New Mexico. Maybe Home Depot does the same thing. How did you attach it?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
Our new flooring is wood so we don't want to do that under the seats - this carpet by the foot is along the lines of something I am considering. However, we don't have Lowes in New Mexico. Maybe Home Depot does the same thing. How did you attach it?
Danielle I am reasonably sure Home Depot will have something similar to Lowes so I bet you can find what you need there. I lived in New Mexico for 35 years, until just recently, and traveled the state extensively on my job. There are Lowe's stores in Alamogordo, Albuquerque, Clovis, Espanola, Farmington, Las Cruces and Santa Fe.
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Agree with Floyd - Vinyl flooring inside the underbench compartments.

If you are re-doing the floor ANYWAY in vinyl, you will likely have left over pieces that will do the trick.

Like he sez - SEAL THE PERIMITER of the vinyl - I would use a really good bath and tub caulk.

Easy to keep clean, and it should be water resistant.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Danielle I am reasonably sure Home Depot will have something similar to Lowes so I bet you can find what you need there. I lived in New Mexico for 35 years, until just recently, and traveled the state extensively on my job. There are Lowe's stores in Alamogordo, Albuquerque, Clovis, Espanola, Farmington, Las Cruces and Santa Fe.
You are right! We just moved here 6 months ago and for some reason I was thinking we didn't have Lowes. Oops. We live west of Socorro so we are a little isolated and don't get out much! Thanks for the info!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #10

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
I didn't attach it. I just cut it to fit the area using a paper pattern. It stays in place with no problem because I cut it a little large so it overlaps the rat fur walls by an inch or so. Because it is not attached, sealed, caulked, etc, it's easy enough to lift it up if you suspect water.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Danielle - this is only mildly related to your question, but wanted to mention a mod we feel was one of the best ideas EVER - we 'borrowed' it from Joy A who used it in her Scamp 13. We (asked the factory to) cut a small rectangular opening in the 'slanted' front wall of each dinette bench and fit it with a matching door. This allows visual and practical access to the fresh water valve and/or the electrical side. Since we leave our bed up all the time, this REALLY is easier than lifting the bedding to get into the cubbies. Just an FYI. L 'n D
Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yeap, my dinette has never been a dinette. The little doors allow access to the fresh water drain on curbside and allows for storage of soft things like extra paper towels.

The streetside is the electric compartment so the door allows access to it in the event the cord gets tangled. I have never put anything on the floor of that compartment but I did put a divider so I can store things that I don't need to get at often. Again extra toilet paper, potti chems. I do have to lift the bedding to access those items but they are really my emergency items in case I forgot to buy more.

As far as the bench seat up front I did lay some carpeting loose in the streetside compartment. It was carpeting that the factory wrapped items which I purhased from them. I store stuff on the cushion so I can't access that compartment from the top, so I cut a hole in the divder and can reach in through the large center door. These are things that I use infrequently, such as an iron and it's pad, plus other things.

I laid some of the excess linoleum from the floor in the curbside compartment which has a dozen or so little boxes stored there. These are things I utilitize often such as, electrical items, tape of all kinds, extra water connections, caulk glue etc, and so on.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
We bought an end of roll piece of carpet which we cut to fit the trailer. It can be just lifted out for cleaning. BUT, from the remainder we cut pieces to fit each compartment. It insulates, and acts as a sound deadening, and protects your 'stuff' from bouncing and road rash when travelling.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #14

Great that's for everyone's input! Now we have some ideas to think about... I'll keep you posted!