Upholstery Estimate - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Name: Olivia
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Upholstery Estimate

Hi All! So excited to be here! Proud new owner of a 1985 13' Scamp that we purchased yesterday after looking online daily for three months! Got a great deal.

Wondering if anyone could possibly help me understand the cost of having the cushions reupholstered? I know it really determines on material, where you live, etc. but I am looking for any sort of insight whatsoever!

Has anyone done this or gotten an estimate and then decided against? Looking at getting all of them recovered, though the foam is in phenomenal shape. Any insight would be very helpful! Thank you!
oliviaherrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviaherrick View Post
Hi All! So excited to be here! Proud new owner of a 1985 13' Scamp that we purchased yesterday after looking online daily for three months! Got a great deal.

Wondering if anyone could possibly help me understand the cost of having the cushions reupholstered? I know it really determines on material, where you live, etc. but I am looking for any sort of insight whatsoever!

Has anyone done this or gotten an estimate and then decided against? Looking at getting all of them recovered, though the foam is in phenomenal shape. Any insight would be very helpful! Thank you!
Hi: oliviaherrick... You can order them direct from Scamp Parts Store. Limited colours but they zip on as new!!! Lightweight Travel Trailers & Small Campers - Scamp Trailers
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviaherrick View Post

I redid the covers on my Scamp 16 as well as the curtains myself. In hindsight I should have just purchased new ones from Scamp (although I would not purchase their curtains - to thin, cotton and no liners on them) or had someone make them for me. Used a GOOD upholstery material (not cotton), after adding in the cost of all the materials needed, spools and spools of thread, custom length zippers and miles of piping the cost was around $700.

That does not take into account the hours of my time spent getting them to fit just right or the $150 I had to pay to have my sewing machine serviced due to the heavy work load I put it through.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I took all the covers off and washed them soon after bringing our old Scamp home. The quantity of dirt that came out of them was amazing. They smelled a 1000% better too! Only one was too bad to save, the sofa back. 20+ years of Sun baking the top of it behind the front window turned it to dust and washing just finished it off. I bought one from Scamp even though it does not match the rest because it was the quickest, easiest, and cheapest (they tossed it in with another order) way to get a cover. Some of the other covers just had thread bare spots and I sewed old jean material as patches inside before reinstalling the covers. They are the dinette backs and I leave the dinette set up as a bed so you never see the patches anyway. And heck, it is a camper after all. As my Mother would say "there is nothing wrong with a well done patch".
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Great topic.... My wife and I had same problem... But boy did we score
My wife contacted a local adult education facility that offers upholstery classes
She contacted them... They had a student that was looking for a project
We met ....took her to the garment district where we purchased
Sumbrella matl( her suggeston)
She is doing all cushion ( no charge)
So far all it has costs is a couple of lunches with her and a donation
We stopped today for a progress update( her request).... They are beautiful.... She is an 80 yr old that has been taking classes for 13 yrs and just lives for sewing/ upholstery
Anyway just an idea to check into something like that you just might
Find someone looking to make a little $$$ on the side
And yes my wife has made a good friend ... My wife will be making her a beautiful gift basket as well as a donation

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:11 AM   #6

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
We had an upholstery shop do the labor. We purchased the fabrics from a fabric outlet. I thought our foam was good, but the upholsterer claimed it had hardened with age. (2003) So we also purchased new foam. The new stuff was medium density polyurethane, and was much more resilient. It sleeps good! It all cost about $800.00. We also redid the carpet with commercial rubber backed low loop pile for about 500.00. It is working out well. Curtains were replaced with home made two layer fabric. You can make them look way better than new, but it costs.
Russ
Scamp is 16' side and rear dinette. 4 wide cushions and 4 narrow cushions.
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #7

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Greetings Olivia from another Minnesotan!

Is this your first Egg? I've had my Lovebug for about 10 years now and L-O-V-E it!
She's my portable Art studio where I go to get lost when I paint en plein aire.

Now, to your question. I think the 7-800$ is about right for the estimate. Finding students would be ideal. They can always use some extra money and an instructor would make sure they got the best product out. I thought about taking my Lovebug in
to the local vocational school welding program and have them install a new drexel. Who knows what skills these projects may prepare kids for later in life? I do always pay them as I think they can use the money and it encourages them to do more with the community. In one place I encouraged them to set up a Facebook page. They did and they got much more work and more students.

Here's what I did for one of my projects where I didn't have my cushions recovered:
In my sailboat, I used the cushion as a pattern, drew an outline on a piece of 3/8 plywood, cut out the plywood with a jigsaw, and stapled fabric over the cushion onto the plywood. After I did this, I covered the bottom of the plywood with fabric as well so it would look nice and professionally done.

This was for my sailboat in Virginia where I didn't know any upholster, wanted to get the boat ship-shape (sorry!) as I was entertaining. I did it all on the dock on some plastic so I didn't have to haul the cushions far.

In retrospect, I could have sealed the plywood with marine varnish, but, in the last 4 years, there has been zero warping. The upholstery has withstood being in the humid DC area on the boat that is in the water year round without any issues.
The foam was in good shape and frankly, adding the plywood only made the beds more firm which I liked.
I'd purchased the nautical fabric from a retail store which wasn't inexpensive but was exactly the look I wanted. I had a staple gun, used the appropriate size staples, and voila! I had recovered cushions for two long backrests, two long benches for the booths,
the berth bed which has several pieces, and some fabric left over for pillows. I made a sail bag with is like a pillow case with a nice tasseled draw string which hold the sleeping pillows at night.

I don't know if this is your solution, but I know others have done the same thing on this forum.

My sailboat cushions did not have any welt on the cushions and the cushions were in good shape. If you want to keep your existing covers on, you could wrap over the covers with a quilters product- the material they use to get the loft in quilts. It adds softness to the cushion. If you do think you need new foam, you can also take your cushions into places and they will cut your foam to fit your existing cushion covers, often free of charge. Do get a high density foam. It will last you a long time. If you want to cut your own foam, use an electric knife, it's a breeze with this.

Ha! Can you tell I owned an interior design business? Just can't take it out of me!
Actually, I am getting my Lovebug out of storage today and was thinking about making a tutorial on an Awning. I have a nice awning and know it would be simple to make and would be a good winter project for many people and I need one for my Eriba Puck.

If only I wasn't renovating this house and wasn't procrastinating on finishing the laying of my kitchen tile, finishing my Roman Shades, touch up my painting all over the house, rewiring antique light fixtures...

Good luck, Olivia! Make sure you let us know how you turn out?
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For the record, today we bought the fabric for our cushions, and it came up to $203. Two different fabrics, one is $32/yard, the other $28/yard and waterproof. We're probably going to have enough fabric left over for a couple small decorative cushions.
Cushion sizes are 44X24 and 44X15, 4in thick, two of each (4 cushions total).
We're not sure if we'll keep the old foams or get new ones, but we were quoted $265 for 4 new foams (prices include 15% taxes).
Not sure yet if my wife will do it or have it done, if so we expect a final cost in the $700-$800 range.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #9

Just a follow up on this. We just had our dinette cushions redone on our 5500.
I think we had a fair price.
Price for the 4 foams was $176.
Work was $175.
Fabric was $203.
Total: $554.

This is CAD $.

I expected a couple $100 over that.

Job was done by a mattress shop that also specializes in custom RV/marine mattresses & cushions. Very good craftsmanship, we are very pleased with the quality.
Matelas C.L.B. in the Montreal (Quebec) area.

Foam price vary according to firmness. They offered 3 level of firmness, we choose the most firm they had so it was a bit pricier.
Also, of course fabric price can vary. We picked a very good quality and durable fabric, so again, a bit more expensive.

Our trailer is a mess right now, but I will provide pictures later.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #10

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
slipcovers.com $200
bsedwebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:43 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
tutorials on making cushions

If the cost estimates turn out to be more than one can absorb in the budget this website has all the video tutorials you could wish for on how to do your own upholstery as well as many types of supplies.

Sailrite
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #12

Name: Philippe
Trailer: Boler Voyageur 1977
Quebec
Merci!
I always wondered how much did these guys charged.
How's the quality of the work?
wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire View Post
Merci!
How's the quality of the work?
Super nice. I posted a few pictures on my thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post585246