Upholstery material - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I talked to Scamp this a.m... I asked how much materal it took to do a 16ft side dinnette.. it was 10 yards.... so will be scouting out some good sales soon.. even tho the upholestry isnt bad i would eventually like to re-do. They have some n ew colors coming out, so they said they would send me samples.. I think most are a patterned material, but I want a plain solid color...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
Christi, In your talks with Scamp do you think they would do custom colors if you sent them the material? The reason I ask is because the price for replacement covers from Scamp seemed cheaper than getting them made from at a upholstery shop. Ebay has had some great fabric deals in thre past.

Quote:
I talked to Scamp this a.m... I asked how much materal it took to do a 16ft side dinnette.. it was 10 yards.... so will be scouting out some good sales soon.. even tho the upholestry isnt bad i would eventually like to re-do. They have some n ew colors coming out, so they said they would send me samples.. I think most are a patterned material, but I want a plain solid color...
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #3

Evan.. I have no idea. i didnt even think to ask them that. but thinking they put out so many of these as a production i doubt it.... It would be up to you to find an upholestry shop.. I asked them how much 'just' the covers were and they told me $340 for the 16 side dinnette..
Old 03-31-2006, 01:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
It never hurts to ask. The shop that does upholstery for Casita used to take custom orders and make the cushions using your own fabric. I'm not sure if they still do however. This was between you and the upholsterer. Casita didn't get involved beyond putting the cushions in the camper if you wanted them to do that prior to pick up or delivery.

A long time ago I was asking Wayne about a different style cabinet for a Scamp. If I remember correctly, he said it was a separate company that made the cabinets. Scamp bought them in bulk under contract at a greatly reduced rate. So, they weren't really interested in shopping around for a different and more expensive cabinet. That kind of left it open if you could get the cabinet maker to make something custom to your tastes that would meet Scamps specs didn't it?
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #5

Christi, Bennita that's what I mean. $340 for a set covers is cheap. It is less than half the amount based on quotes I have been getting at the upholstry shops. That's even supplying the fabric. I think I'll give a call to Scamp/Casita to see if they will do custom work and if it would be any cheaper. I want new colors for my cushions but not for $800 dollars quoted at the upholstry shops. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
Outlet stores!! There are BIG outlet stores in any large urban area!! find one! Find a home seamtress in your local town- you wouldn't need an upholsterer, really.

You could get two different fabrics if you wanted, if the outlet didn't have a full 10 yards in one color- the pretty pattern for the fronts and matching plain for the back! Piping is sold pre-made, too- of course it wouldn't be made of the same fabric- but you get a complimentary color.

I'm NOT all that talented a seamtress- but I 've made clothing for the Ren Faire- and so I thought- If I made doublets and stuff----- I'm going to tackle my own replacement cushion covers!!!!! *sigh* if only I didn't HAVE to do zippers.. How I HATE putting in zippers... maybe I'll do velcro instead!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Why bother with zippers. By the time the fabric is old, ugly and dirty, you'll just unzip it and make new again. Why not just sew where you would normally put a zipper together with a needle and upholstery thread using a baseball stitch?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #8

Evan
let me know if Scamp will sew up ''custom' ones. they did send me samples and they are very nice but they are 'plaids" and i want a solid color... plaids dont go with Flamingo's..LOL
Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Remember to use vinyl "fabric" on the bottom when you recover your cushions.

So when you get caught in that thunderstorm you can come inside and not drip on the furniture.

Ask me how I know how handy that vinyl bottom fabric is.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #10

Christy I will let you know what Scamp says about doing custom covers. I bought the fabric off ebay for $50. From what people are saying in this post I might need a little more. Debra your idea of a home seamtress is a good one. I do know a local lady that works out of her home and does clothing for very fair prices. Perhaps she will take on this project?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler Honey
The last travel trailer I had was an old 1967 stick 'n tin. Its cushions were covered in towels. No zippers. Had velcro. It was really nice, cause I could pull them off and wash them. They came out good as new!

I would bet a seamstress could do it. It is the same sort of sewing as clothing, not requiring any stretching of straps or setting springs or roll and tuck or any of the stuff that upholsterers do to chairs. These are basically slipcovers for square pieces of foam.
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Quote:
Why bother with zippers. By the time the fabric is old, ugly and dirty, you'll just unzip it and make new again. Why not just sew where you would normally put a zipper together with a needle and upholstery thread using a baseball stitch?
That's exactly what I had my local upholsterer do for me...the cost of having zippers or velcro was quite a bit more expensive and as my tastes change and as I have tons of fabric at the studio, I opted for a less expensive option. In fact, I may keep this set on and have her put another over this set and still stitch the last seam.

The idea that one can use a thin piece of plywood as a base and simply staple the fabric on is a great idea, imho. You could still have piping and buttons and all sorts of cool things. I would buy a really good foam, upgrade on that, and save on the labor.

Have fun, Christie! Let me know what you find!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
I need to make cushions from scratch...foam, covers and all...but have no idea what type of foam to purchase. I like the idea of using memory foam for the top 2 or so inches but there are so many different grades and densities of foam for cushions that I am boggled as to what to purchase.

Does anyone know the density and composition of their foam cushions?

Thanks!
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler Honey
Being in Michigan, it may be cool enough for memory foam, but let me warn you...Memory foam can be overly warm. I have it on my bed, and in the summer it can be uncomfortable.
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We just ordered new cushions for our Liberty, for a twin bed mode. We went to the Melrose Mattress store where we originally had our 2 mattresses made for the trailer. He is taking that 6" foam and cutting it down for us to 3"... Our cushions will have 3" of medium foam, 1" of a softer foam (not memory) and then Dacron over the foam.

We found that the cost of foam has risen in the last year almost double (because of oil).. It went up for one cushion that would have been $100 - it is now $160... I was really surprised when I called Melrose Mattress... I mentioned that we weren't using our 2 mattresses and needed to order new foam cushions... he said they could cut our foam and save us $$$. He did.. We took our fabric and mattresses to him, and we will pick our finished cushions up in 2 weeks (or before).

Just a hint to get several estimates for foam before you have the job done. When I was calling around there was a real big difference. Try your local mattress shops ... some do more than just mattresses.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote