Urgent Question. SHOULD I BUY THIS? Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Urgent Question. SHOULD I BUY THIS? Casita

I just looked at a 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe for $8900. It has been damaged on the door side (all along the side) and fiberglass has been redone. The interior is great except for a crack in the cubbord area about 4 inches or so, above the sink in the fiberglass.
Here is my concern, the door does catch when closing. I have no idea about fridge, furnace, and all the things that were jolted around when the Casita went on its side. It does not have a salvage title as a trailer under 3000 LB doesn't need a title in the state the accident was in. It has a regular title in the state it is in now. (should be salvage as it was in an accident and side needed to be redone).
I am going to look at it in the morning again in the daylight, but wondering if this is a bad deal, or if it is priced right???? The owner says he has not used the furnace or hot water heater. Hmmmmm, why would he not use hot water. I am thinking maybe I should pass on this one, but still is this price to good to pass up? What would you do or what would you look for?
Any opinions?
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
I just looked at a 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe for $8900. It has been damaged on the door side (all along the side) and fiberglass has been redone. The interior is great except for a crack in the cubbord area about 4 inches or so, above the sink in the fiberglass.
Here is my concern, the door does catch when closing. I have no idea about fridge, furnace, and all the things that were jolted around when the Casita went on its side. It does not have a salvage title as a trailer under 3000 LB doesn't need a title in the state the accident was in. It has a regular title in the state it is in now. (should be salvage as it was in an accident and side needed to be redone).
I am going to look at it in the morning again in the daylight, but wondering if this is a bad deal, or if it is priced right???? The owner says he has not used the furnace or hot water heater. Hmmmmm, why would he not use hot water. I am thinking maybe I should pass on this one, but still is this price to good to pass up? What would you do or what would you look for?
Any opinions?
Well. in my experience if someone doesn't answer yes or no about whether something works, then it doesn't. Things like "I haven't used it" or "It worked last time we were out" or "it should be fine", are all code words for "it's broken but I don't want to tell you, and I hope to hell you don't find out till I get the money". As far as the repairs to the shell, you need someone who knows what to look for to examine it before any commitments are made. I personally would seriously devalue it. For one thing, there may not be any record of the crash and he may have repaired it at home. If a salvage title is required for such an event and not acquired, that could prevent you from legally selling it or severely complicate it, or devalue it at that time. Just things to think about.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
The fellow I bought my Surf Side from also said that he'd not used the fridge on propane...yeh right. Doesn't work. Low-ball the asking price and just see......
thostorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:04 AM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
If you need to decide quickly I would pass on it.
To buy such a unit requires a close look, first question would be who did the repairs, is that person a professional, with the integrity of the unit that badly compromised I would worry about the hidden issues just in structure alone.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Frankly, that would scare me, and I am the person who always posts "You snooze, you lose."

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have never used the Fridge on Propane in any of my trailers and I have not used the water heater yet on either Casita I have now. Just have not needed to cool on Propane and have had park facilities for hot water.
I have also not used the Furnace in either Casita as it seems to be in a stupid and less than safe location to me and I have not needed more than an electric cube heater could do.

Not everyone is lying about everything all the time!?!

With that said I would not buy this one unless I had seen pics of the damage too???????

I can not imagine not taking detailed pics of it to be able to show before and after to a prospective buyer?

If it sounds too good then it just may be and since you will not be able to tell what was fixed properly or not it would be tough to see it as it really is.

I know that if it was repaired it will likely look a good as it can after the repair and cleaning and polishing so it all appears to match.

Without more actual disclosure I would be wary too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:13 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
that price would be for a trailer without damage and with all operating appliances, I'd pass or offer him a salvage price- $5000 tops.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Karalyn, I know you're lusting to get another trailer. Don't allow the excitement to overshadow other concerns. I'd pass on this one, unless I saw pictures of the trailer as it was damaged and could really feel confident in the repair work.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Pass
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
That is not a discount price for a damaged rig. It's a typical price for a typical used rig.

What caused the damage in the first place? I would be very skeptical of the running gear/frame. Thats a much bigger concern than appliances. Sounds like it may have been rolled.

Deal Breaker. Run. Run far far away.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I have never used the Fridge on Propane in any of my trailers and I have not used the water heater yet on either Casita I have now. Just have not needed to cool on Propane and have had park facilities for hot water.
I have also not used the Furnace in either Casita as it seems to be in a stupid and less than safe location to me and I have not needed more than an electric cube heater could do.

Not everyone is lying about everything all the time!?!

Very true Ed, but you come cross to me as a sensible guy. I'll bet that if you were selling anything you would go through the unit and take stock of it so that you could accurately represent it to a buyer. I know that I would. For one thing, knowing that everything is working properly increases the value. I would not feel comfortable selling anything that I didn't have a reasonable handle on.

Is it possible that his unknowing is innocent? Sure it is! Is it likely? That hasn't been my experience. Everytime someone starts scratching the back of their ear and making excuses, I end up with a big bill

Am I a bit cynical? Admittedly, yes

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Maybe it's me but i wouldn't buy anything with a salvage title..... you could probably find something in the 2000+/- age for about the same price..... the crack on the inside is what puts a red flag up for me.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #13

THANKS EVERYONE for your input. I did not want to pass up a good deal and in my own town . BUT I had those same thoughts you all did. Structural damage?! Could this be the reason it is being sold again? (Possibly!) This camper could be in great working condition but what if not. If it did not have the structural damage and with the door catching on the fiberglass as it closed ------WELL, I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat, but my gut feeling of pass on it has won out. I AM STILL SEARCHING FOR MY FOREVER CASITA.
You all have helped me solve a delima of grabbing something I may be sorry for.
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT EVERYONE.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #14

Besides the great classified section here try this fiberglass site too as it might be helpful in your search.
Joe

Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
There is currently a 16 ft 2006 spirit deluxe listed on the VT craigslist for the same money. It says NE which could be north east or New England? Bit of a haul but with winter coming.... Raz

Actually it is a 1996. Same unit is listed on fiberglass Rv's 4 sale
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #16

Another tool to help you in your search.....this link will let you search the whole country at once on craigslist instead of just one location..... type in casita in the search box
Joe

Search ALL of Craigslist at one time
Old 10-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #17

I have been searching those sites listed daily. Nothing close to home and I am afraid to buy sight unseen. My 1st Scamp went to California and my second one to Massachusettes - both sight unseen by owners. Both new owners happy with purchase. I am honest and most people are, but still I am really scared to by sight unseen and have something shipped to me without my seeing it. If anyone sees a good deal out there let me know please. I am in no hurry as winter is coming soon, but I don't want to miss a nice one either.
Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Casitas and Scamps somehow attract craigslist scammers. In my month long search for a decent used one, I must have seen 3 or 4 scam postings. They all start great and then devolve into this time pressure situation and somehow free shipping of the trailer to you, but sight unseen deal. Some even stoop so low as to play on "I'm heading over to Afghanistan" military sympathy.

My first sense of this was seeing the same ad posted in 20+ different craigslist locations all over the map.

I wouldn't buy anything I can't see or walk into, pictures don't matter in this case since the pictures might be of some completely different trailer.

Be cautious.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita
My casita was hit and went on it's side, looked like it was fixable, their repair shop ( trailers) said not so, so totaled it, and paid me fairly for it. Maybe you found my old trailer.....I would not buy that trailer myself, not at that price for sure...Just my opinion, there is always another one available.
jgreenern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #20

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi karalyn....i think that you made the right decision in not buying that casita. i understand how extremely tempting it must have been, with that trailer so close to you....but in light of the fact that it was not YOUR accident, where you would have known the full details of the accident, choosing to let it go was absolutely the right thing to do. good luck in your search.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita