Use that WD-40 or Silicone Spray - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2002, 08:01 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Use that WD-40 or Silicone Spray

Ok, this is for both the hearty, rugged winter campers ... and you sissy, put-em-up-on-blocks-for-the-winter type campers ....

Now would be a good idea to wipe down your trailer's door gaskets with some WD-40 or Silicone spray. Would also be a good idea to hit the tow vehicle door gaskets too.

Well-lubed gaskets tend to stick less ... in both the short term and long term.

If you are going winter camping, vapors and condensation coming from within your trailer ... along with freezing rain and snow (yea!) coming from outside your trailer ... can cause the door gasket to freeze to the trailer shell.

(As I've said before, keep an electric hair dryer handy to occasionally unstick the door ... particularly if you don't keep it well lubed)

And, for those of your putting your rigs away for the winter (why, I'll never know) ... a little lubrication now will keep that gasket supple and help prevent gasket deterioration, which leaves little bits of gasket when you go to open the door in the Spring.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 08:04 AM   #2

Oh yeah, I forgot

And don't forget to spray a little WD or silicone on a paper towel or rag and wipe down the window gaskets and rubber strips. Same reason applies ... the gaskets and rubber will be less likely to freeze to the window ... in addition to making the window slide a lot easier. Also help keep the rubber from deteriorating.

A gram of prevention is worth a kilogram of cure.

Old 11-24-2002, 10:13 AM   #3

freezing gaskets

:wave another reason so many people are moving (moved?) to california.:sad

Old 11-24-2002, 10:17 AM   #4

When the going gets tough

Ok, Lou ... rub it in! :)

But when the going gets tough ... the tough get going!

Well, in most cases ... I guess the Donner group's winter camping didn't quite go as planned.

And wasn't the Donner party headed for California? I can't remember.

Old 11-24-2002, 10:22 AM   #5

WD-40

Received some questions about using WD-40 on Rubber. Some folks say WD-40 should not be used.

According to the WD-40 Bottle ... and the WD-40 website, WD-40 is safe for use on rubber.

On an independent test site, I found a reference that WD-40 was safe for use on rubber ... although "Certain types of rubber will swell upon prolonged immersion in WD-40."

Prolonged Immersion???

So, you can pay your money and take your choice.

I've used both WD-40 and silicone sprays ... no problem with either.

Old 11-24-2002, 11:05 AM   #6

Charles
Thanks for tip on wd40.

Old 11-24-2002, 12:15 PM   #7

WD-40

Charles, I have never had swelling problems on rubber using WD-40, although I can tell you it can cause a slight discoloration, sort of like prolonged use of "Armor All" type products can do to tires (ever notice the browninsh-yellow color it leaves?). Most of my friends in our show-car circuit have stopped using silicone-based products on rubber for that reason. I use WD-40 quite often, and I might suggest another product I really like, Boeshield T-9 (developed by Boeing Aircraft)...great lubricant, I also use it as a winterizing fogging oil in all of my stored engines. Protects and lubricates like "Waxoyl" of old (wonder how many folks remember that)?:wave
Great hints! Keep those weatherstrips supple! Oh for "tire shine" and cleaning rubber products, Stoner's "More shine, less time" is great!

Old 11-26-2002, 12:48 AM   #8

I'll tell you one place you DON'T want to use silicon spray, and that's on the sliding skirt gasket on your manual water pump. Silicon binds it rather than lubes it. Should be mineral oil, I belatedly read in the Scamp Owner's Manual...

Pete and Rats

Old 11-26-2002, 12:21 PM   #9

WD-40.........or better

"Boeshield T-9 (developed by Boeing Aircraft)...great lubricant", says Craig
==========

Agreed!

Old 11-26-2002, 12:43 PM   #10

T9

Don, the ONLY problem I have with T9 is the ability to buy the stuff...My dad always kept T9 in his hangar shop, and I've found it from a place I get detailing supplies for our show cars, a place called Griot's Garage. it leaves a nice protective waxy sheen and works great. I still use WD40 on TONS of stuff however. I think it is the quickest and easiest tar remover. Oh, another trick I've found to keep weatherstripping from sticking: Wax the opposite surface very well...Keeps the rubber residue from "ghosting" on the opposite side.

Old 11-26-2002, 03:33 PM   #11

T9 availability

Yes, I won't give up WD-40 til I can get T9 by the gallon.

It's kinda like in the days of the old western movies when the bartender would reach under the counter and pull out a bottle of the 'good stuff'. :hap2

"Set em up, joe.......and give me a shot of T9". Good for parched throats, rusty eyelids, nose drip, disolves earwax, etc. etc.. :colors

Old 11-26-2002, 04:38 PM   #12

lubricant

try here. I didn't check the prices.
http://www.kanza.com/boeshield/