Vacuum Cleaner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #21

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
The Dysons use a "digital" motor, which is a fancy sounding term for a brushless motor. They are way more energy efficient than a standard brushed motor and can generate more torque and higher RPM's. If you fly electric RC planes, most now use the brushless motors.

Basically in a standard brushed motor, the brushes contact two copper plates with a gap on the motor shaft. When the brushes reach the gap, the power is cut and when the brushes are on the plates the power is back on. This causes an electromagnet on the shaft to turn on and off. Around the outer casing are magnets so when the electromagnet has power it is drawn to the fixed magnets and rotates the shaft. The power cuts out so the shaft can rotate further to allow the electromagnet to engage with the next fixed magnet and so on causing the shaft to rotate. In a brushless motor, a little computer turns the power on and off to the electromagnet. Way more precise and efficient than the brushes which can get carbon buildup from arcing and wear down.

I know that is a simplified explanation but I didn't want to go "too deep into the weeds".
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #22

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Why cordless instead of a 12V corded for a fraction of price in a such small place?
Old 07-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #23

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
If you mean the portable vacs that use the 12V lighter socket in cars.. power. Those sockets can handle <200W. Probably more like 100-120W realistic max for the vacuum to make sure it doesn't pop a 10A fuse. Compare that to the Dyson V8 with a 425W motor, or the ~500W most home vacuums draw.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #24

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Cordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Why cordless instead of a 12V corded for a fraction of price in a such small place?
I just find that it is easier to "grab and go" when cordless. It is plugged in and under the sink for storage but gets used in the Tow Vehicle as well as the Scamp (and other places).
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
If you mean the portable vacs that use the 12V lighter socket in cars.. power. Those sockets can handle <200W. Probably more like 100-120W realistic max for the vacuum to make sure it doesn't pop a 10A fuse. Compare that to the Dyson V8 with a 425W motor, or the ~500W most home vacuums draw.
how many watts are the cordless battery powered units ?

An AC vac don't do me much good when I'm boondocking...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Battery powered vacuums

A lot of folks, though not everyone , carry a battery powered drill. Well at least I do. Most battery drill manufacturers make some sort of vacuumed that can be used with their battery. I know Makita and Dewalt both offer portable vacuums.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #27

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
A lot of folks, though not everyone , carry a battery powered drill. Well at least I do. Most battery drill manufacturers make some sort of vacuumed that can be used with their battery. I know Makita and Dewalt both offer portable vacuums.
Battery powered drills work awesome and are a must have items in any household. But battery powered vacuum cleaners are BS. They are very underpowered comparing to a wired ones. Even 12V ones.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I boondock but travel with a small 1000 watt generator. I found the smallest sized hang up on the wall shop vacuums only draws about 650 watts. So if I want to run the vacuum I just fire up the Gen Set. It does not take that long to vacuum out a 13 foot trailer that has a vinyl floor. Of course I can also vacuum if there is shore power or use one of the vacuums at a car wash.

My seat cushion covers are washable and they have an inner lining I cut from a mattress pad cover that is breathable but also dust mite and water resistant. I don't need a rotating brush attachment. My tow vehicle is a Honda Element and it has a plastic floor...no carpet in it.

It really all depends on how you want to set up things. I want a vac as I do some woodworking but I don't want a heavy or power hog for a vacuum. So the smallest size of the shop vacuum is sufficient. Noisy compared to a household vac but it does a good enough job and cost a lot less than a household vac.

I have a Shark that is an upright with the motor section that lifts off. However it take over 1000 watts to run it. So it is being left behind.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #29

Name: Elliott
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
how many watts are the cordless battery powered units ?

An AC vac don't do me much good when I'm boondocking...
Depends on the brand/model. The top end is Dyson's V10, which looks like it's 525W. The old cheap dustbuster-style NIMH-powered ones are probably closer to 20W. Shark's top-end model is about 300W.

I have a little DeWalt DC581H portable corded shop-vac that works reasonably well. It supports battery power as well, but I haven't bothered since I have a big inverter and battery bank so it makes more sense for me to just use that even boondocking. If I were to do it over I'd probably consider paying the higher price for a good cordless, because they actually seem to have more power according to reviews (that did not yet exist 3 years ago when I bought it). I suspect the one I got has a universal motor instead of brushless DC.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #30

Mid Left Coast
my 12V corded generic chinese vac says its 106 watts (8.8 amps at 12V)... its strong enough to pick up heavy sand, and bits of pea gravel that get between the screen door slider tracks, so thats good enough for me. Uusually, I take the carpet runner out, and shake it out, then I sweep the floor, collecting everything inside the entrance, then I pick it up with the vac, and get all the crevices the broom couldn't get.

a small broom with a telescoping handle is *really* useful, something like this, but I picked it up at a Camping World or somewhere.
https://www.amazon.com/Slim-Angle-Br...dp/B07RDXQ3DS/
Old 07-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
Given an unlimited budget, I'd probably try a Dyson V11. The newer high-end Dysons seem to actually be good cordless vacuums, unlike basically all the others ever made. Hard to justify 6x the cost compared to the corded shop-vac, though.
We have Dyson V6 hand held that's fantastic, and with the added crevice tool can do the corners. Holds a charge very well. It's actually a house "quick cleanup" tool that we take with when camping. Not dedicated to the trailer. We have 3 dogs we take to the beach..................

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #32

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
you can use a Jackery 1000 or probably a Jackery 500 to power a corded 120 volt vacuum. If you work fast, its not too much total energy used, although I think my shark 120 volt draws about 350 Watts. I also have a nice Black and Decker 12 volt, but the Shark 120 v is better.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:49 PM   #33

Name: Charles
Georgia
This same question was asked somewhere else just a few days ago.

I carry a Hoover Porta Power, 120v corded vac with accessories. This one is old, probably close to 50 years old, but still works OK. Dad bought it new to do the cars with. I have two of them, the other one I got at a yard sale about 25 years ago. They are still manufactured! Sadly, these are the loudest vacuums I have ever heard. If I am not on shore power, I just fire up the generator that is built into the trailer.

I have all of the attachments and extension wands for the floor brush.

I may replace it with a cordless vac, will be a Makita if I do as I have at least a dozen 18v Makita batteries and two dual chargers and one single charger.

Bought a circular saw, came with two batteries and a dual charger, and two free ones too. Bought a string trimmer, same thing, dual charger and two batteries and two more free. Had already bought spare batteries for the screw impact and drill kit with a single charger, so the batteries keep piling up.

A broom is a very handy thing however, and I recently bought a Camco telescoping, swiveling broom and dustpan.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Adjusta.../dp/B000EDUUG2

Charles
Old 12-06-2021, 01:15 AM   #34

Mid Left Coast
so far, I've found the 12V cigar lighter plugged vacuums work better than the battery powered ones. I mean, sure, my industrial shopvac 120V vacuum works better than any of the portable stuff, but within the limits of DC and size, thats just a basic reality.

this is the industrial shopvac I bought about 6-7 years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00018ALFA/

Using its 'gulper' nozzle, it does an awsome job of sucking carpet cleaner out. I like the Zep Advanced Oxy carpet cleaner, saturate the carpet with the spray, vacuum it out til dry, repeat til clean enough.