Vacuum Cleaner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Vacuum Cleaner

Keeping the RV neat and clean has always been a challenge. For those of us RVing in a small fiberglass travel trailer space is limited. I have found a great light weight handheld vacuum cleaner at good price. My shark vacuum is now history - RIP at the dump.

EUREKA EasyClean Lightweight Handheld Vacuum Cleaner, Hand Vac Corded, 71B

Attached is my RV Hints on this vacuum cleaner.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Vacuum Cleaner.pdf (83.6 KB, 138 views)
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
cordless rechargeable vac

[QUOTE=Gattopuin64;763426]Keeping the RV neat and clean has always been a challenge. For those of us RVing in a small fiberglass travel trailer space is limited. I have found a great light weight handheld vacuum cleaner at good price. My shark vacuum is now history - RIP at the dump. /QUOTE]

I had to replace mine also. I picked a cordless rechargeable shark, but what ever you pick you need a beater brush to clean the seats and an open end without a beater brush (A crevice tool would be nice also, but I missed that when buying.) to keep the screen door track clean. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shark-nbs...cuum/255616888
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
We have this cheap chinese 12VDC corded vac, works pretty good.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075T7ZK5R/

It doesn't have a beater brush, just a fixed one, but does have a crevice tool. I use that crevice tool to get the sand and gravel out of the screen tracks on our escape... cord is plenty long enough to reach the whole interior of the e21 from one place.

that metal screen needs to be rinsed out once it plugs with dust, then dried before putting away, otherwise its neat enough to empty the bulk dirt into a suitable trash receptacle.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I was advised a few years ago by a friend who owns a vacuum cleaner store that there are no battery powered vacuums worth buying. I was hoping for a deal, but he gave me a compact corded one.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #5

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I was advised a few years ago by a friend who owns a vacuum cleaner store that there are no battery powered vacuums worth buying. I was hoping for a deal, but he gave me a compact corded one.
yeah, thats why I got a 12V corded one. its got adequate suction
Old 12-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
cordless

Quote:
I was advised a few years ago by a friend who owns a vacuum cleaner store that there are no battery powered vacuums worth buying.
A few years ago, I would have agreed, but there have been giant improvements in battery technology. But never buy a 120 VAC vac if you boondock.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #7

Mid Left Coast
my corded 12V vac is 8.8 amps, about 105 watts. The modern 18V LiIon pack for my electric drill and saw kit is 24 Watt*hours, so would last for maybe 12-13 minutes of vacuuming before being completely flattened.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #8

We use a broom. No cord, no batteries to charge.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
My wife also uses a broom
I’ve tried but it just doesn’t fit my hands lol
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #10

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
I use a DeWalt DC581H portable wet/dry vacuum. It can do battery or corded, but I have an inverter and big batteries so I haven't bothered with DeWalt batteries so far.

Given an unlimited budget, I'd probably try a Dyson V11. The newer high-end Dysons seem to actually be good cordless vacuums, unlike basically all the others ever made. Hard to justify 6x the cost compared to the corded shop-vac, though.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Sales reps always say silly stuff like there is not one worth buying...because they want you to buy what they sell in the store rather than going elsewhere.

This is a good cordless battery vac with lots of suction power and a reasonably long run time for a cordless. But of course it does not come with the charger and battery at this price it is "tool only". Actually useful for more than cleaning the trailer and car. It is a good shop tool as well, strong enough with enough capacity to do so real work. Milwaukee tools 18v cordless portable vacuum.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0-20/202043806

Makita also makes on that is decent. Forget the department store battery portable vacuums, get real tools designed for tool using people if you want something that has good suction and longer time between recharges. Plus you can also buy extra batteries for them.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Sales reps always say silly stuff like there is not one worth buying...because they want you to buy what they sell in the store rather than going elsewhere.

You kinda missed that they gave me a corded vacuum cleaner. I didn't buy anything. And they weren't a "sales rep". They were the owners of the store and parents of my daughter's boyfriend ( at the time ). I said "friend" to keep it simple.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:23 PM   #13

Name: Jan
Trailer: 21' Escape
California
After trying a few hand-held vacuums that require you insert the entire unit into the charging station, I found a Hoover hand-held at Best Buy that I really like. First of all, you charge the lithium batteries, not the whole unit. The batteries slip onto the unit to give you a vacuum that has good suction and a fairly decent battery life. Second, if you like to vacuum all the time (or forget to charge the battery), you can always buy an extra battery and have one charging while you're using the other. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hoover-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-28-2019, 09:05 PM   #14

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
We use a broom. No cord, no batteries to charge.
Brooms don't work on rugs. Or on the dinette seats.

I know it seems extravagant, but having an inverter enables a lot of possibilities for 120 volt stuff. For things like vacuuming, I don't see the advantage of charging batteries to then run the appliance. Plus, there are so many options with 120 volt appliances.

You may lose 10% when converting 12V to 120V, but you'll lose maybe another 25%, when charging 12 volt batteries from a 120 volt source. Then the batteries die and you start over. Probably best to buy a cheap 120 volt vacuum and never worry about the batteries.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
of course if you are in a campsite with 110v or have a generator along you can do like I did, find a small sized household canister vac with cyclone ability that does not need bags. I actually got it from a thrift store so the price was excellent.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp
Vacuum

Certainly NOT "deep pockets here. But several years ago, I (reluctantly) purchased a Dyson rechargable for home use for pet hair and such. I got the "pet hair" power level variety and it has several "beater" attachments and crevice tool.

Never regretted that purchase. I take it on all our camping trips to keep the carpet free of dirt, sand, and small gravel. Take the charger along, also.

Upon our return from a trip, it comes back in the house to resume its regular duty helping me easily keep the floor half-way decent .

"Just Sayin !"

Jeff
jhornsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post

This is a good cordless battery vac with lots of suction power and a reasonably long run time for a cordless. But of course it does not come with the charger and battery at this price it is "tool only". Actually useful for more than cleaning the trailer and car. It is a good shop tool as well, strong enough with enough capacity to do so real work. Milwaukee tools 18v cordless portable vacuum.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0-20/202043806

Makita also makes on that is decent. Forget the department store battery portable vacuums, get real tools designed for tool using people if you want something that has good suction and longer time between recharges. Plus you can also buy extra batteries for them.
I got one of these myself after using one that an Electrician hd on a job I was doing and it is terrific overall for sure!
Yesterday I was running some wire in an office building while they were closed and it never occured to me that the power might be out while they were closed but indeed somehow it was?
So I used a headlamp for the darkness and was still able to Vac the mess up after with the Milwaukee too!
This one does really suck!

I have a bunch of different Milwaukee 18v stuff and can use any of the 18v batteries in the Vac which is handy for sure. I do with it was AC powered as well but they forgot to ask me my opinion about this when designing the product somehow?

Turned out the whole buildings power was just put from the storm we had Saturday night in the end!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:01 AM   #18

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Everyone's wants and needs will be different, but I decided against a vacuum. For a while there I was looking at what battery-powered vacuums were good quality and not ridiculously expensive.

Then I realized that I'm never parked in one place for more than 6 days before needing to dump my tanks or moving on for some other reason. Every time I move, assuming the floors need it, I stop through a car wash or something and pay $1 for the vacuum.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #19

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
I saw that Dyson V8 Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner quites good. I try use it. It’s cordless which gives it the freedom of movement that the corded versions simply don’t have in their capabilities. And it makes every part of the cleaning process so much easier. But I think it is a bit expensive for someone.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #20

Name: Eric
Trailer: 13 Ft.Scamp Researcher
westland
trailer vacuum

Here is a great little cordless i have used for about 6 months now. Good suction and washes out well with a stainless steel filter. Runs for about 20-30 mins. which is plenty of time in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/SOWTECH-Cordl...60178285&psc=1
Eric in mich is offline   Reply With Quote