Velcro and suction cups - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
Velcro and suction cups

One of the things I like about having a smooth fiberglass interior(Burro), is I can experiment with modifications just using Velcro and suction cups to decide if the prototype suits my needs.
For example, I hung a sailboat style hammock/storage net from 2 suction cups, wondering if I’d use the extra space. After a couple of trips it was really handy, so I left the suction cups up with the storage hammock- they are really strong.
Made a counter extension out of the stove cover by putting some Velcro next to the stove top, moved the plywood rectangular box(stove cover) to the right, with Velcro on the bottom edge. Made a leg to support the free end, attached with Velcro to the inside edge, and a square of Velcro on the bottom.
Great shelf- counter space, and now I have a place to put the stove cover when I need the stove.
No end to simple little add ones with Velcro and suction cups, and no holes drilled.
Velcro sticks to the carpet roof to hang solar lights- probably all knew that.
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:57 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
That's a good idea Larry; I might try the Velcro method. But is it difficult to remove the adhesive if you decide you don't like the modification?
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I found that sooner or later suction cup let loose. Command hooks work well and can easily be removed. To remove velcro a hair dryer, a dull putty knife, and Goo Gone works but you have to let the Goo Gone sit for a while.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #4

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
Yep, suction cups are not forever.
About ready to change out the hammock storage area for command hooks, now that I’m convinced it’s something I want to keep there.
Had it there for 3 trips and it never budged- but, it will fail.
Did the screen door with Velcro tabs around the perimeter of the door opening.
Got a magnetic, center closing mosquito net and it works great.
Yep, suction. Ups, Velcro, command hooks in that order.
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
That's a good idea Larry; I might try the Velcro method. But is it difficult to remove the adhesive if you decide you don't like the modification?
I use a lot of the “industrial strength” Velcro (I typically purchase it at Lowe’s) on bare fiberglass, and have found that most of the adhesive comes off when the Velcro is removed, and what is left are small patches of adhesive and not a layer the same size or shape of the piece of Velcro removed. I have always been able to remove what remains by pressing the piece removed onto the patches and pulling it off. What little that may remain I find I can remove by rolling it with my thumb. When finished, if there are black smudges left behind, a bit of lighter fluid on a paper towel easily removes them. I really prefer Velcro rather than drilling holes or using double-sided foam tape.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
I was curious …

Wikipedia says Velcro was coined from the french words Velour Crochet (“velvet hook”). George de Mestral conceived his invention in 1941 when he went for a walk in the woods and wondered why burdock seeds clung to his coat. The product was introduced in the late 1950s.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro