ventilation in egg while not in use - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Same Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I have a vent cover over the roof vent and one over the curb side window and haven't closed the window or roof vent in about 8 years. No mold yet.

I used to turn the cushions up and open all the cabinets but haven't even done that in years and years. I don't think Michigan is as rainy as Oregon nor is it as dry as Arizona but whatever cross ventilation I get seems to be enough.
I installed a vent cover (Maxx Air II) over my Fantastic Fan and a Window Maxx on my pasenger window . I leave the roof vent and window partially open . Like Steve it seems to do the job . I do block my bathroom door open when the trailer is in storage
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Well, Mom said it was never going to be easy..... Thanks for all the responses. I guess the trick is to figure out what works under my own special circumstances! I'm inclined to agree that I want some ventilation (in spite of the fact that several other folks have had positive results with closed-up trailers), but trying to dry out the air blown in off the Juan de Fuca Strait 200 meters away sounds destined to fail! I'll definitely bring the cushions into the house next winter -- wish I could squeeze the entire Scamp in too! Still, I prefer moist warm air in the winter to 30 below and ice under foot!
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #23

Name: Gretchen
Trailer: Coachman Freedom Express
Tennessee
I got a $40 small dehumidifier from Walmart that sits in the sink, drains with a small hose, can just leave my tank open a tad if needed. I keep it mostly closed and posted a hygrometer to keep track of it. Works well.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #24

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I keep mine under a carport and have a Max Aire vent cover. Thinking about getting a window Maxx. I can leave a window open on the lee side of the carport. Winter is not an issue because it's in the south.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #25

Name: THOMAS
Trailer: 1972 COMPACT JR
Colorado
Storing compact jr

Ok, just finished my maiden voyage with my "new' 1972 Compact Jr.
3885.6 miles round trip from Northglenn CO to Carpentersville IL, to Cordele GA, back to Carpentersville then back to Northglenn CO.
First TT I have owned and I LEARNED A LOT !! More on THAT soon...
Ever since I bought this unit I have been a follower/lurker on this forum and was well-prepared (?) to undertake such a long trip for a maiden voyage.
NEW TIRES, NEW WHEEL BEARINGS AND RACES, NEW TRAILER HITCH, NEW LIGHTING (INSIDE AND OUT).
HAD NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER (EXCEPT FOR MY BACK ACHING AFTER 3885 MILES IN 9 DAYS).
Question re: storing over fall/winter/spring..
My unit is the original factory TAN color.
I cannot put the unit in my garage (although it would fit) because I have all my tools and hobby stuff in my 2-car garage.
My question is: Here in Northglenn CO (a close-in suburb of Denver) should I buy a cover for it or is the weather mild enough for it (uv-wise) to not have a concern, especially due to its natural TAN color.

TOMASJU
THOMASJU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #26

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Trillium
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
My Dry-Z freezes solid pretty early in the winter and stays that way till spring. Come April I do have some water in the cup, but not a lot. That's with everything closed up.

2 winters back I left the vent and a window open a bit, no Dry-Z at the time. Spring found mildew on just about everything. The only time I had the problem in 8 winters.
Padlin00, I hope the mildew didn't cause any serious issues. How did you clean everything? I'd love to hear some tips. Thanks!
Lisa in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #27

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Richard, I am also in Victoria. We run a marine fan like the one Jerrybob suggested, and I keep one window open a crack. No mold. I also take our step stool and put it under the middle of our mattress to keep air movement there as well. This is our second "winter" season with this method.
Island Claire is offline   Reply With Quote