Venting with solar power vents - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro
Lightbulb Venting with solar power vents

I've been looking for soalr vent fans to help keep air moving through the 17' Burro to cut down on the dreaded mold mildew and moisture. My searching led me to this video and web site

Solar Vent Cover & Fan for RVs and Trailers

It's a bit pricey but it does make for a simple and effective install.

I'll prolly look into building something similar on the cheap.

I'm in no way affiliated, just want to pass along a stumble upon.

Here's another option if i can figure out a good way to install it. I like that it has a on/off switch

Cordless Solar Powered Greenhouse Vent Wireless Reversible Fan w Battery Back Up | eBay
GregLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I installed solar vents on the bathroom (2) PVC vents that go through the roof and on the Fridig Vent.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #3

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
$400.00 for a fan??? An entire solar panel system is about the same price.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
cheap solution

Just install a 12 V socket on the solar panel side of the controller with a switch. Then insert an automotive USB charger into the socket. Then cut apart a USB cable and insert into usb port of charger. Then wire a 5 V muffin fan with less then 1 A current draw The controller would disconnect the fan once the sun went down, so no worries about running down your battery.

A little bit convoluted I know. This issue is that once the battery is fully charged, the "12V" solar panel voltage will head up to its open circuit voltage of 18-20 V which would tend to incinerate a 12 V computer fan. I suppose you could just assume the battery is full (good assumption for storage application) then use a resistor to bring the voltage down to a safe operating point for the fan. The resistor would need to be able to handle about 1/3 the power of the fan. When the battery was charging, the fan would mostly turn off, which isn't bad thing. The problem is that the fan would only run during full sunlight. With a little guess and check on the resistor value, you could probably get it to work OK. Now of course you have a resistor burning enough power to be a bit of a hazard in a constrained space.

I just leave the windows open on the camper since I have the window covers that won't let rain in.

Maxxair 00-455000 Window/Maxx Louvered Vent by Maxxair
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
What do you think of this, currently out of stock but due in soon.
Heartland America: Solar Auto Vent
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #6

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Why would someone opt for the $250.00 (new price) solar blaster fan when the entire trailer can be solar powered for about the same $ ?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #7

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
You really dont need much power to have a fan working. In your egg.

In my uhaul, the original solar panel is connnected directly to the 4 computer fans i have installed in roof vent. I have a second panel charging the battery.
During the day the fans turn all day without using battery power. At night they stop turning when the sun comes down...if i need the fans, a switch get them connected to the battery.
What i like about this setup is that when it cool enough to not use the roof fans at night, i can leave the switch to solar and the fans start turning slowly as the sun comes up...keep the camper cooler a bit longer in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:17 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post

In my uhaul, the original solar panel is connnected directly to the 4 computer fans i have installed in roof vent. I have a second panel charging the battery.
During the day the fans turn all day without using battery power. At night they stop turning when the sun comes down...if i need the fans, a switch get them connected to the battery.
What i like about this setup is that when it cool enough to not use the roof fans at night, i can leave the switch to solar and the fans start turning slowly as the sun comes up...keep the camper cooler a bit longer in the morning.

Great idea! I'm working on a similar build for by egg.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post

Very interesting. What is that the fans are connected to? A piece of Lexan or such? Also, how is it attached to the vent hatch?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #10

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Very interesting. What is that the fans are connected to? A piece of Lexan or such? Also, how is it attached to the vent hatch?
Simple piece of mdf wood.i used two metal sçrew to attach it by the center to the metal bar that is going across the vent. The one holds the vent handle.
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #11

I bought this solar panel
Coleman 6-Watt 12-Volt Solar Battery Maintainer-58022 at The Home Depot

and scavenged a 12 volt dc fan from an old computer. I used clear plexiglass from HD. I marked the hols from the removable screen in my vent. I cut the holes in the plexi with my Rotozip on the lowest RMP so as not to melt the plastic.

While my Burro is parked, I've just got the solar panel laying on the roof and snakes the wire in the vent. I'm working on ideas for a more permanent install of the panel.

Here's the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
solarfan.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Maybe a vent cover like the MaxxAir and let convection take care of the circulation.

Keep in mind that air can't go out the top unless it can come in somewhere else.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar power