VHB for a Solar Panel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
VHB for a Solar Panel

I've searched for info on VHB tape but it seems people have used a variety. 4950, 4991, and 5952.

What is everyone's experience? On the 3M site, comparing the three, it looks like 5952 is the one to go with. It mentions "Commercial Vehicle Roof Vent Attachment" in the specs and is listed as "very conformable."

I don't see any mention, on any of the tapes, of being specific for bonds between fiberglass and metal. Can anyone shed some more light on this for me?
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #2

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
I've been using it on my two 100 watt panels for two years without a problem.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #3

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASITA BANANA View Post
I've been using it on my two 100 watt panels for two years without a problem.
What number did you use?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I used the one called RP-45 on Amazon, I forget the 4 digit spec. Been using it a few months now with no problem. I carefully cleaned all surfaces with soap & water and then Acetone.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Suggest you read all 51 pages of this thread:
Our solar panel blew off!! - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Even if the tape (or epoxy if used) holds, the gel coat can (and apparently did) fail causing loss of the panel at highway speeds.

YMMV but I would ONLY use bolts with large backing plates with standard glass panels.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDunbar View Post
I've searched for info on VHB tape but it seems people have used a variety. 4950, 4991, and 5952.

What is everyone's experience? On the 3M site, comparing the three, it looks like 5952 is the one to go with. It mentions "Commercial Vehicle Roof Vent Attachment" in the specs and is listed as "very conformable."

I don't see any mention, on any of the tapes, of being specific for bonds between fiberglass and metal. Can anyone shed some more light on this for me?
Go here
Â*Â*3Mâ„¢ VHBâ„¢ Tape 5952

then the Documents tab and click on Specialty Tapes under Data Sheets, then scroll down the PDF that downloads. 3M doesn't make their technical specs easy to find.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
3M 5952, Thanks guys for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Go here
Â*Â*3Mâ„¢ VHBâ„¢ Tape 5952

then the Documents tab and click on Specialty Tapes under Data Sheets, then scroll down the PDF that downloads. 3M doesn't make their technical specs easy to find.
:Nice to hear from folks who have used it and are happy with the product at 60/70mph down the road to hold 100 to 160W Panels in place though I have been okay with our 100W I think the next one is going to be a 160W MonoCrystal which I can pick up in Canada for just under $200 slightly used for 1 year.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #8

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:

You can consult the following Web page, at the bottom of it there are 4 videos that explain very well the steps to follow:

Mounts

I installed with tape 3M VHB RP25 in spring 2016.
* I included in my circle checks the good solidity of the panel, between each displacement. It has always remained firm.
One of the members of Fiberglass'RV told me to have fixed with this tape and did not move in 5 years.

If I remember correctly, RP25 is for interior / exterior, it is protected against UV.

In the chart the resistance is 90 pounds/square inche.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #9

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
You can consult the following Web page, at the bottom of it there are 4 videos that explain very well the steps to follow:

Mounts

I installed with tape 3M VHB RP25 in spring 2016.
* I included in my circle checks the good solidity of the panel, between each displacement. It has always remained firm.
One of the members of Fiberglass'RV told me to have fixed with this tape and did not move in 5 years.

If I remember correctly, RP25 is for interior / exterior, it is protected against UV.

In the chart the resistance is 90 pounds/square inche.
I think between using the proper product, proper prep and a periodical check of the panel things should be ok. I've used the tape in the past at work. I never made note at the time what number it was but I know what a bear it was to seperate two stainless sheets.

I'm also only using s 50w panel and plan to integrate an air dam.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #10

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I used it for a 100 watt flexible solar panel. 2+ years with no problem.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
I'm also only using s 50w panel and plan to integrate an air dam.
Yuppers.....I made mine in 6 inch pieces to follow the curvature of the roof:
Attached Thumbnails
air2.jpg   air3.jpg  

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #12

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
I don't know which number I used. Just the VBH from Amazon. It's held no problems in 40+ mph crosswinds at 65 mph. I've ceased to worry about it and I'm somewhat OCD. I did mount the brackets to 1" x 1 1/2" x 4" pieces of PVC trim board and tape those to the roof.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel