Warm water backfilling in toilet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer: Avion
Warm water backfilling in toilet

I'm experiencing a strange plumbing problem in my 2002 Casita 17' SD.

Lukewarm water is backfilling the toilet about halfway after using the shower wand for hot water. This is apparently coming from the normal fill valve used to flush the unit, not coming up from the black water tank. It has a milky white color that does not dissipate or settle out over time.

I'm assuming this is a check valve issue at the water heater of some kind, but the milky coloration of the water has me stumped. Someone on another forum suggested it could be from the anode rod, but the water being supplied to my other taps is running clear.

Anybody seen this before? Thanks!
Jonathan Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Flip the water heater bypass valve to determine if WH is involved?
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #3

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Lukewarm

How did you determine the temperature?
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I notice warm water coming out of taps when the water heater was off once. Turned out the water when not being used was being warmed from the supply lines passing behind the fridge. After running for a moment they went cold again. I have a 17' Bigfoot.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Wright View Post
I'm experiencing a strange plumbing problem in my 2002 Casita 17' SD.

Lukewarm water is backfilling the toilet about halfway after using the shower wand for hot water. This is apparently coming from the normal fill valve used to flush the unit, not coming up from the black water tank. It has a milky white color that does not dissipate or settle out over time.

I'm assuming this is a check valve issue at the water heater of some kind, but the milky coloration of the water has me stumped. Someone on another forum suggested it could be from the anode rod, but the water being supplied to my other taps is running clear.

Anybody seen this before? Thanks!
It sounds as if the pressure relief valve drain line for the water heater somehow got connected into the toilet fill line. Very odd but it should be easy enough to see at the water heater end of the system to see if that situation exist. The water heater pressure relief should be draining to the exterior. But maybe during winterizing or some other maintenance situation what hooked up to where got confused.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Make sure the water heater bypass valve is closed.
In valve open, out valve open, bypass valve closed.
Just had an issue with the outlet side valve nor sealing tight. Had in bypass to winterize, antifreeze was going to water heater. Replaced valve took care of problem.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Sink faucets mix hot and cold water. If your shower head is shut off and the diverter is stuck a little then hot water could backup into cold side and back pressure it. Be sure that the faucet is clear, including the screen and that water flows normally into the sink.
If you don't have a sink then make sure the shower head is open when the faucet is off,if not then a partially open or leaking faucet washer could be causing the problem.

Exercise the shower faucets and the showerhead a few times to clear them.

Of course your flush valve needs attention too.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Unless someone has been playing plumber with your water lines you have a problem on the discharge side of things. Warm water from your shower is backing up into the toilet instead of discharging to the holding tank. Warm shower water becomes luke warm water in your toilet because it has been cooled by passing through the plumbing connecting the two.
The toilet has no hot water supply. It isn't connected to the hot water tank in any way. The white/milky color is caused by soap residue from your shower.
Look for a clog on the drainage side of things.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
https://www.google.com/search?q=poct...w2iM2FyYa8U4M:
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
The easiest way to determine if the back filling is coming from the shower would be to pour colored water down the shower drain. If the color appears in the toilet then the water is coming from the shower drain and Mike_L is correct.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #11

Ohio
Registry
Could it be, since the milky lukewarm water appears in the toilet after running the shower that it would be from him sitting on the toilet while he is showering thus the soapy water flowing around the toilet seat into the toilet?
Old 11-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #12

Ohio
Registry
By the way, the shower drain in no way could get into the toilet, it is pumped/drained to the grey water holding tank.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #13

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
There is no way the shower drain could be backflowing into the supply lines. The supply lines are pressurized, the shower drain is not.

There is no way the shower drain could be backflowing into the toilet drain. The gray and black water systems are completely separate, neither is pressurized, and the black tank is higher than the gray tank.

There are two ways warm water could be backflowing into the cold water system; back through the cold water inlet to the water heater or back through the sink valves with the shower diverter pulled and and the shower head turned off. Neither being very likely, but the the former might cause some sediment from the anode to get into the cold water piping. In either case it would not cause the toilet flush valve to leak water into the toilet only when the shower was used.

Since the OP did not say what he was using the shower wand for, a safe assumption is that he was sitting on the toilet while showering/washing. So soapy runoff from his shower is the most probable cause.

What say you, Jonathon?
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:03 AM   #14

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I still want to know how he determined it was "warm" water.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #15

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Gotta wonder.... OP seems to be AWOL from here and the other forum.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #16

Ohio
Registry
I see Steve thinks like me!
Old 11-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #17

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
Did the U haul campers have a bidet feature, sounds lovely
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #18

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaken2157 View Post
Did the U haul campers have a bidet feature, sounds lovely
Maybe the OP confused the toilet with the hot tub.
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I still want to know how he determined it was "warm" water.
heated toilet seat?
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote