Wash and wax? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Washington
Wash and wax?

I am new to owning a fiberglass RV. I am wondering if I should be washing and waxing it at the beginning of the season. I have it stored under a cover over the winter in Seattle. Product recommendations welcome.

Seattle Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:25 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Use a car wash soap, which doesn’t remove existing wax. For wax I like Meguiar’s Flagship Premium Marine Fiberglass Wax.

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:46 PM   #3

Name: Mick M
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Wash & Wax

I live in the PNW and was using marine grade wax. However, I notice that it doesn't seem to hold up well on the roof as my Scamp is exposed to the elements. I have starting using Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All product about every three months with some spot cleaning. I wash my trailer about every 3 month and rinse it off at least once a month. The Aero product goes on very easy and does bead up the water. I am spending significantly less than waxing. The downside is that the product seem to have a life of 4 month in the PNW. I do not mine as I find that the application can be applied wet with washing or dry.

You can find several review from private parties on this product.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:08 PM   #4

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Depends how fussy you are about looks.
Even under a cover it can get a layer of dust.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Boler View Post
I am new to owning a fiberglass RV. I am wondering if I should be washing and waxing it at the beginning of the season. I have it stored under a cover over the winter in Seattle. Product recommendations welcome.
Wash it and spray some stuff called The Solution on it. It is great and all you do is spray on and dry off with a soft rag. It puts a nice shine to it and doesn't leave wax since it is not a real wax. A little goes a long way. It seems expensive but considering we've waxed our motorhome 3 times, trailer at least 2 times and cars a couple of times with a half gallon and still have some it is worth it. If the vehicle is just dusty you don't have to wash it even but we always do. Our Casita still looks new and it is safe for the decals.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Wash it and spray some stuff called The Solution on it. It is great and all you do is spray on and dry off with a soft rag. It puts a nice shine to it and doesn't leave wax since it is not a real wax. A little goes a long way. It seems expensive but considering we've waxed our motorhome 3 times, trailer at least 2 times and cars a couple of times with a half gallon and still have some it is worth it. If the vehicle is just dusty you don't have to wash it even but we always do. Our Casita still looks new and it is safe for the decals.
I just ordered some with a microfiber head on an extension pole. When I was in Florida I was quoted $150.00 to wash and wax my truck with cap and that was without interior detailing. I blew out both shoulders playing Volleyball years ago so that wax on wax off doesn't work so well now.

I can handle a soft wash brush on a pole though. That is how I have been washing my truck and more recently my BigFoot. I had been thinking about paint sealers so I will give this a try and report back in a month or so. Thanks
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I just ordered some with a microfiber head on an extension pole. When I was in Florida I was quoted $150.00 to wash and wax my truck with cap and that was without interior detailing. I blew out both shoulders playing Volleyball years ago so that wax on wax off doesn't work so well now.

I can handle a soft wash brush on a pole though. That is how I have been washing my truck and more recently my BigFoot. I had been thinking about paint sealers so I will give this a try and report back in a month or so. Thanks
When you put it on just use a small spray bottle to put it on and immediately wipe off. If you do it inside a garage protect the floor with cardboard or towels as the overspray will make it slick some. If outside in the dirt or gravel then you're ok from the slick areas. We put it on our motorhome once a year and if we go on long trips we might put it on the front between them but that is only if we have to really scrub the bugs off. Sometimes we don't wash it for 6-8 weeks while traveling and bugs get thick on it. But if washed sooner they come off easier. We like the shine the Solution leaves. People always thinks our Casita is new and it is a 2007. We can do our motorhome in an hour or so and the Casita about the same. Our grandson even helped once and he was only around 12 years old. He liked it and didn't think it was any work at all.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #8

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
My boat yard let me in on the secret that they use to clean and wax boats. To remove any oxidized gelcoat use aqua buff 1000 or aqua buff 2000 with a wool bonnet . It is water-based and can be worked by spritzing water on it and continuing to buff till you get through the oxidized part. Then remove the aqua buff with a cotton terry cloth bonnet. To keep fiberglass from oxidizing with a rag apply 3M high performance marine wax. Buff that off with a towel, and you will get a deepshine that will repel dirt and oxidization for around six months. If you do it every 6 months with the wax you don't have to use the cleaner again. And most importantly use a so it's not going to remove the wax. I have found the best for that is orpine brand soap
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #9

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
I've had AeroGloss recommended to me by someone who paints aircraft, and who gave a detailed explanation about waxes and polymer coatings. It's unfortunately $20 a pint but only $60 a gallon (a lifetime supply). I have West Marine wax to use up, so I'm doing that for now.
I believe when you cover your trailer, particularly in the Pacific Northwet, it's good to leave breathing space at the top of your trailer between it and the cover. Those more expert than I will likely chime in.

Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote