Wash and wax? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Washington
Wash and wax?

I am new to owning a fiberglass RV. I am wondering if I should be washing and waxing it at the beginning of the season. I have it stored under a cover over the winter in Seattle. Product recommendations welcome.
Seattle Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:25 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Use a car wash soap, which doesn’t remove existing wax. For wax I like Meguiar’s Flagship Premium Marine Fiberglass Wax.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:46 PM   #3

Name: Mick M
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Wash & Wax

I live in the PNW and was using marine grade wax. However, I notice that it doesn't seem to hold up well on the roof as my Scamp is exposed to the elements. I have starting using Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All product about every three months with some spot cleaning. I wash my trailer about every 3 month and rinse it off at least once a month. The Aero product goes on very easy and does bead up the water. I am spending significantly less than waxing. The downside is that the product seem to have a life of 4 month in the PNW. I do not mine as I find that the application can be applied wet with washing or dry.

You can find several review from private parties on this product.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Depends how fussy you are about looks.
Even under a cover it can get a layer of dust.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Boler View Post
I am new to owning a fiberglass RV. I am wondering if I should be washing and waxing it at the beginning of the season. I have it stored under a cover over the winter in Seattle. Product recommendations welcome.
Wash it and spray some stuff called The Solution on it. It is great and all you do is spray on and dry off with a soft rag. It puts a nice shine to it and doesn't leave wax since it is not a real wax. A little goes a long way. It seems expensive but considering we've waxed our motorhome 3 times, trailer at least 2 times and cars a couple of times with a half gallon and still have some it is worth it. If the vehicle is just dusty you don't have to wash it even but we always do. Our Casita still looks new and it is safe for the decals.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Wash it and spray some stuff called The Solution on it. It is great and all you do is spray on and dry off with a soft rag. It puts a nice shine to it and doesn't leave wax since it is not a real wax. A little goes a long way. It seems expensive but considering we've waxed our motorhome 3 times, trailer at least 2 times and cars a couple of times with a half gallon and still have some it is worth it. If the vehicle is just dusty you don't have to wash it even but we always do. Our Casita still looks new and it is safe for the decals.
I just ordered some with a microfiber head on an extension pole. When I was in Florida I was quoted $150.00 to wash and wax my truck with cap and that was without interior detailing. I blew out both shoulders playing Volleyball years ago so that wax on wax off doesn't work so well now.

I can handle a soft wash brush on a pole though. That is how I have been washing my truck and more recently my BigFoot. I had been thinking about paint sealers so I will give this a try and report back in a month or so. Thanks
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I just ordered some with a microfiber head on an extension pole. When I was in Florida I was quoted $150.00 to wash and wax my truck with cap and that was without interior detailing. I blew out both shoulders playing Volleyball years ago so that wax on wax off doesn't work so well now.

I can handle a soft wash brush on a pole though. That is how I have been washing my truck and more recently my BigFoot. I had been thinking about paint sealers so I will give this a try and report back in a month or so. Thanks
When you put it on just use a small spray bottle to put it on and immediately wipe off. If you do it inside a garage protect the floor with cardboard or towels as the overspray will make it slick some. If outside in the dirt or gravel then you're ok from the slick areas. We put it on our motorhome once a year and if we go on long trips we might put it on the front between them but that is only if we have to really scrub the bugs off. Sometimes we don't wash it for 6-8 weeks while traveling and bugs get thick on it. But if washed sooner they come off easier. We like the shine the Solution leaves. People always thinks our Casita is new and it is a 2007. We can do our motorhome in an hour or so and the Casita about the same. Our grandson even helped once and he was only around 12 years old. He liked it and didn't think it was any work at all.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #8

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
My boat yard let me in on the secret that they use to clean and wax boats. To remove any oxidized gelcoat use aqua buff 1000 or aqua buff 2000 with a wool bonnet . It is water-based and can be worked by spritzing water on it and continuing to buff till you get through the oxidized part. Then remove the aqua buff with a cotton terry cloth bonnet. To keep fiberglass from oxidizing with a rag apply 3M high performance marine wax. Buff that off with a towel, and you will get a deepshine that will repel dirt and oxidization for around six months. If you do it every 6 months with the wax you don't have to use the cleaner again. And most importantly use a so it's not going to remove the wax. I have found the best for that is orpine brand soap
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #9

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
I've had AeroGloss recommended to me by someone who paints aircraft, and who gave a detailed explanation about waxes and polymer coatings. It's unfortunately $20 a pint but only $60 a gallon (a lifetime supply). I have West Marine wax to use up, so I'm doing that for now.
I believe when you cover your trailer, particularly in the Pacific Northwet, it's good to leave breathing space at the top of your trailer between it and the cover. Those more expert than I will likely chime in.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
Oregon
Cover and moisture in pacific northwest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Boler View Post
I have it stored under a cover over the winter in Seattle.
I'm curious how the cover worked in Seattle winter conditions. I'm down in Portland area with a 19 ft Scamp (second year) and was distressed to see how much moss and pollen built up over the winter. But I'm concerned that a cover won't prevent moss and might just trap moisture also leading to mildew. What was your experience?
Ottoscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
From what I’ve seen it’s more important that you actually apply wax / sealant / protectant to your trailer than which brand / product you use . If your trailer sits outside in the sun and you only wash / wax it once a year , it really doesn’t matter what you use IMHO

I wash / wax my trailer in the Spring , then once a month during camping season / Summer and then one more time in the Fall before it goes into winter storage
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
While I agree that the most important attribute of any wax is that it actually gets used, I have noted significant differences in the durability of different waxes. I wax twice twice a year, spring and fall. Regular automotive waxes only lasted about 3 months on the top of our Scamp in uncovered outdoor storage, so I saw a return of oxidation between waxing. I switched to a marine fiberglass wax and found it lasted twice as long, so it could make it the whole 6 months.

Zep high gloss floor wax is for once-a-year folks (or longer in some climates). It does require stripping, which conventional waxes do not.

If I had to wax my trailer every month, I’d sell it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #13

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
While I agree that the most important attribute of any wax is that it actually gets used, I have noted significant differences in the durability of different waxes. I wax twice twice a year, spring and fall. Regular automotive waxes only lasted about 3 months on the top of our Scamp in uncovered outdoor storage, so I saw a return of oxidation between waxing. I switched to a marine fiberglass wax and found it lasted twice as long, so it could make it the whole 6 months.

Zep high gloss floor wax is for once-a-year folks (or longer in some climates). It does require stripping, which conventional waxes do not.

If I had to wax my trailer every month, I’d sell it.
I am extremely anal and actually enjoy spending an afternoon waxing my trailer
I’ve had good luck with NuFinish holding up to the weather but it doesn’t give that deep shine , like wax
Old 07-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #14

NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;782491

If I had to wax my trailer every month, I’d sell it.[/QUOTE]

Started on my July coat of wax this morning , got three sides waxed
- only back side and roof left to go .
Old 07-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
WAX?

Hi Jon,

I prefer the Meguiar’s Flagship Premium Marine Fiberglass Wax, too.

This spring it had been too long since waxing. There was some oxidation
so the Trillium was scrubbed with Bar Keepers Friend before waxing.

Drat! Noticed the belly band rivets are starting to rust out... next winter's
project.....

Uncle Larry
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #16

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I am extremely anal and actually enjoy spending an afternoon waxing my trailer
I’ve had good luck with NuFinish holding up to the weather but it doesn’t give that deep shine , like wax
More than good enough for me and not hard to apply 😎
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:48 AM   #17

Massachusetts
Quote:

Well a month turned into a year and a half. The Solution stuff works good and goes on easy. However it seems to last only 3 months or so and it is hard for me get up the ambition to do this even twice a year. I would like something that goes on like the solution but lasts longer.

Well I found this hybrid Turtle wax ceramic that goes on the same way. It requires a little more buffing but it is infinitely easier than wax. Here is a video on it. I will check back in.....awhile.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All .
Good stuff!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:13 PM   #19

Colorado
Quote:
Well a month turned into a year and a half. The Solution stuff works good and goes on easy. However it seems to last only 3 months or so and it is hard for me get up the ambition to do this even twice a year. I would like something that goes on like the solution but lasts longer.

Well I found this hybrid Turtle wax ceramic that goes on the same way. It requires a little more buffing but it is infinitely easier than wax. Here is a video on it. I will check back in.....awhile.

I am very surprised that The Solution only lasted about 3 months. We haven't used it on our RV for about 2 years and it sat outside for 8 months before we got our garage built. We just came back from a trip where we parked next to another RV like ours. Theirs was a 2014 and ours is a 2012. They couldn't believe how good ours looked compared to theirs. Are you using harsh or high pressure washes? We just use a water hose and Simple Green on ours.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:54 PM   #20

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I am very surprised that The Solution only lasted about 3 months. We haven't used it on our RV for about 2 years and it sat outside for 8 months before we got our garage built. We just came back from a trip where we parked next to another RV like ours. Theirs was a 2014 and ours is a 2012. They couldn't believe how good ours looked compared to theirs. Are you using harsh or high pressure washes? We just use a water hose and Simple Green on ours.
I don't wash very much at all. When I finish a long trip I will give it a wash to get road grime off. I use car wash of some sort. Maybe I am judging it wrong but when washing the water would just sheet off there was no beading at all. I want to see if this new stuff helps me with the black streaks.