Wash/Wax at Marine/Boat Services in SF Bay Area - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2021, 10:58 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Wash/Wax at Marine/Boat Services in SF Bay Area

Hello fellow Fiberglass RVers in the San Francisco Bay Area. We are seeking a place that can lovingly wash and wax our 13' Scamp which has been stored outdoors for years. We are thinking that a Marine/Boat service that works with fiberglass boats should be able to provide excellent service. Our trailer is stored close to Vallejo and Napa which are near HW 29 and 37.

We are looking for someone to do this service as we are older and don't want to get up on wet ladders and scaffolding. Most car washes don't take trailers. We don't trust any place that uses high pressure water cleaners nor those that use products meant for cars.

Please let us know...
1. If you have had excellent experience with a business in this area.
2. If you have had a marine/boat service clean and wax your fiberglass RV (no matter where you live)
3. Do you have an idea as to what other kind of business could do an excellent job of washing and waxing?

Thank you.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:11 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There are mobile RV washing services. Common in Arizona to serve snowbirds. Donít know if there are any up your way.

But if your only problem is the ladder, how about hiring the teenager down the street? You supply the products and supervise the process; they supply the muscle and dexterity.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I would look for an established auto detailing shop with a good reputation , probably easier to find in an urban area
People who own $100,000 cars are just as particular as FG trailer owners , maybe more
Many auto cleaning / polishing products are suitable for use with Fiberglass trailers . I’ve used Meguiars Gold car wash soap on our trailers for years and it works just fine .
My philosophy with fiberglass gel coat is that any wax (marine / auto ) is better than no wax at all .

I washed and put two coats of synthetic wax on our trailer this Spring so I understand the reluctance to climb ladders along with the accompanying sore back , legs and shoulders
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #4

California
Registry
Many thanks for replies.
G
Old 05-02-2021, 11:16 PM   #5

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
I can't give a specific recommendation, but for boat places I'd definitely search around the Delta area like Rio Vista and Isleton.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:25 AM   #6

California
Registry
We found that the two nearby boat places either do not offer washing services or are prohibitively expensive. As it turns out, a large car-wash 30 minutes from our storage facility DOES wash fiberglass! Generally, they wash cars in an automatic "tunnel" and then finish inside and out with expert detailers. I spoke with the owner and he said he will personally supervise our wash, polish and wax and he is offering the service at a reasonable price. To be fair, he needs to assess the level of oxidation before he quotes a fee for the polish. The place is easily accessible by freeway so there are no curvy narrow roads (common to our home region) to negotiate! I have high hopes and will report back to you all with photos.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #7

California
Registry
Hi All!
Our trailer is now clean as a whistle and it was done by one person, with a bucket and a cup, at the very popular car wash 30 minutes from our trailer storage place. He was meticulous in removing rooftop "crud" and streaky dirt. Unfortunately years of outdoor storage left the gel coat with streaks that could not be polished out. The car wash owner advised us NOT to waste our money by having them hand polish and wax the trailer. Afterwards I wanted to go to a do-it-yourself car wash and spray the clean trailer with wax but we did not have time to do so. Maybe after our next car wash.

The following, related, story touched our hearts big time! The car wash owner explained to us that he assigned our job to a young man who's wife just had had their new baby. He suggested that we pay this young man directly as it would help out his family. We were delighted to contribute to this man's finances and could not believe the kindness of the owner! Needless to say, the young man was over the top with gratitude and we felt the joy of giving.

To add to this story, most of the people who clean our cars in our area are recent immigrants from Guatemala. This story is a reminder to us all that we can perform small acts of kindness that can impact our struggling brothers and sisters in our communities.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #8

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Can you give the name of the place, for others in the area?
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #9

Name: Royce
Trailer: Casita
Santa Rosa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Hello fellow Fiberglass RVers in the San Francisco Bay Area. We are seeking a place that can lovingly wash and wax our 13' Scamp which has been stored outdoors for years. We are thinking that a Marine/Boat service that works with fiberglass boats should be able to provide excellent service. Our trailer is stored close to Vallejo and Napa which are near HW 29 and 37.

We are looking for someone to do this service as we are older and don't want to get up on wet ladders and scaffolding. Most car washes don't take trailers. We don't trust any place that uses high pressure water cleaners nor those that use products meant for cars.

Please let us know...
1. If you have had excellent experience with a business in this area.
2. If you have had a marine/boat service clean and wax your fiberglass RV (no matter where you live)
3. Do you have an idea as to what other kind of business could do an excellent job of washing and waxing?

Thank you.
I just used "The Sud Stud" a mobile detailing service in Santa Rosa. Not sure if he'd be willing to travel that far, but I was very impressed with what he did for my Casita. He originally quoted $20 per foot, or $340 for the trailer. When he started work, he realized the surface was pretty badly oxidized and would need much more work than anticipated. When I squawked about price, he agreed to do it for the original quote. He and 2 other guys spent about 8 hours with orbital polishers on my trailer. I ended up paying him $500 as I realized he'd be loosing money otherwise. Name is Tyler, 707-536-1551... very class act.

Royce
Juggledude is offline   Reply With Quote