Washing a New Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Washing a New Scamp 13

I have reviewed threads about how to get stains out and what to wax the Scamp Fiberglass with however I am not seeing basic maintenance for exterior. What is the general opinion of fiberglass camper owners? What do you use to wash your camper? How often do you do it to maintain the finish? I am assuming we would just wash the camper when we get back every time. We are looking to do weekends till it gets cold once we pick it up in May from Evelands.

Thanks in advance for your input just trying to take care of a big investment!

Scott
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Wash it by hand using a good solution of carwash soap in a bucket of water. Rinse using a clean cloth and a garden hose.
Avoid strong hose pressure, especially around windows and vents.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Any car wash soap you use on your motor vehicle you can use on your trailer. I've used Turtle Wash and Wax for years. If you decide to go ahead and give the trailer a wax job, remember any wax is better than no wax. Some are easy on and difficult to get off. Some are difficult to put on, but come off easy. Like Nike says "Just Do It"
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If you use a pressure washer, stay away from any graphics and stripes.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #5

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Thanks for the replays on maintenance of exterior fiberglass

Thanks for all the replays on the exterior fiberglass maintenance. We are now officially one month away from the trip to Minnesota!
We wil spend two weeks touring the UP before we get home should be a great break in trip!
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Mine tends to get dirtier parked than traveling since we're mostly fair weather campers, so I usually wash before a trip. I like to start with a clean trailer. A small amount of car wash soap in lots of water, nothing fancy. After a recent trip I did clean off quite a few bugs from the front when I parked it for storage. I used baby wipes (which also works when you're in a campground and need a little touch-up).

The biggie is wax, which I do twice a year, spring and fall. It's a workout, even on my 13'er (and a good antidote for 3'-itis). I use an automotive paste wax. I keep thinking I will give the 3M Marine products a try (recommended by quite a few folks here), but haven't gotten around to ordering them. Until and unless I do, as Donna says, anything is better than nothing!

I envy you your brand-new gloss, but, as mine had already acquired a patina when I bought it, I don't have to sweat the small stuff, like the time a scrap of tire kicked up on the freeway and left a long, black lash on the front corner. Bar Keepers Friend mixed with water into a runny paste took it off.

If you value that gloss, covered storage is the best thing you can do, of course, and a high-quality cover (i.e., Calmark, $$) next best. Avoid cheap knock-offs- they don't last and poorly finished undersides can do more harm than good. If blowing dust is common in your area (as in mine) skip the cover, as dirt will get underneath and turn it into sandpaper.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp