water pump, conundrum... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #21

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
I'm thinking of using something like this.

GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordM View Post
Yes I thought about that, but I think I'll just do a A-B valve (if that's what its called). I could put a plug on the inlet to prevent the water from coming out when using the pump, but I think this will be easier in the long run. But my next conundrum is going to be the tank size I have. I'm not sure how big it is in litres or gallons, but I'm pretty sure it's not even big enough for a single shower. Use at the sink will be okay, but the shower will drain it every time I'm sure.
if you have a stock inlet, it already has a check valve built in, so no need to plug it.
with a check valve in th pump line, the system would be completely automatic.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
if you have a stock inlet, it already has a check valve built in, so no need to plug it.
with a check valve in th pump line, the system would be completely automatic.
Mine unfortunately is an after market. I just checked and sure enough, no check valve. I guess I could put in check valves to make it automatic. Something to think about.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Put in a small battery ( lawn mower/motorcycle) and a cheap charger. Plumb the water with a car windshield washer pump. You don't need a LOT of water at a time.
Get the pump at a junk yard, not much money.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #25

I'm still on the fence over AC or DC pump. Really I'm on the fence for DC option in my camper really. It would be nice to have that back up in case I'm not in a campground, like a walmart or a rest stop. Although that is unlikely. Plus I like to tinker, so part of me wants to do it as a challenge. All my other AC items can run off the inverter (not the air conditioner as that would drain my batteries WAY too fast). But the small fridge and lights, and in this case the pump. But I'm not sure if I am going to do the 12 volts yet, and I can always run the AC pump on the inverter too. Something to think about I guess.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #26

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Hi Gord,

I'm using this flojet pump which only pulls 3.5 amps. I'm thinking you could use your 5 amp transformer with it for now and still have the option of adding a full 12 volt system later. It only pumps 1.1 gallons per minute but I actually consider that a plus given the small holding tank sizes on our Bolers.

Russ
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL View Post
Hi Gord,

I'm using this flojet pump which only pulls 3.5 amps. I'm thinking you could use your 5 amp transformer with it for now and still have the option of adding a full 12 volt system later. It only pumps 1.1 gallons per minute but I actually consider that a plus given the small holding tank sizes on our Bolers.

Russ
Ah, Russ, that's perfect! That's the first pump I've seen that uses that low a voltage and low GPM that can run on my transformer. Even voltage spikes probably won't break the 5 amp barrier. And its a great price to boot! And I noticed that people are pairing it with the exact outdoor hot water shower unit I'm after. And your right, the slow flow will help with the small tank, which is a concern of mine too. Thanks Russ!

Edit: And its on demand, which is exactly what I want! Yay!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Most the the Prov. Parks here in BC do not have elec or water hook up so a trailer with out 12v is pretty well out for camping in anything other than commerical sites here. I would go 12v.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #29

Hey Russ, what is the typical size of the tank in our old Bolers? Are they only 5 gallon? It doesn't seem all that big, but I'm a bad judge of size, especially non metric. But I looked at the tanks you can get from Scamp, and they say pre 90s, they were 10 gallon. But I realize we're talking about two different manufacturers. I'm thinking, that if its only a 5 gallon tank, I might get one of the 10 gallons from Scamp or something...

Edit: Darn! Amazon won't ship that item to Canada!! Arg, now the search for a Canadian supplier.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #30

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordM View Post
Hey Russ, what is the typical size of the tank in our old Bolers? ...

Edit: Darn! Amazon won't ship that item to Canada!! Arg, now the search for a Canadian supplier.
I'm not sure what the "standard" size is. When I got mine I had no idea what kind of shape the water system was in (leaks, contamination, etc) so I replaced everything. I ended up ordering a tank on ebay just based on the size. I think the one I got is 8.5 or 9 gallons. If you can measure the outside of your tank you could use something like a fish tank size calculator to determine the volume.

I was wondering about getting that pump to Canada. I actually looked for it on Amazon.ca before posting that link. Hopefully you can find one available somewhere else.
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #31

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
for comparison, the tank in our trillium is 14" x 18" x 10" and holds 10 gallons.
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL View Post
I'm not sure what the "standard" size is. When I got mine I had no idea what kind of shape the water system was in (leaks, contamination, etc) so I replaced everything. I ended up ordering a tank on ebay just based on the size. I think the one I got is 8.5 or 9 gallons. If you can measure the outside of your tank you could use something like a fish tank size calculator to determine the volume.

I was wondering about getting that pump to Canada. I actually looked for it on Amazon.ca before posting that link. Hopefully you can find one available somewhere else.
I'm having trouble finding one. I think a lot of electrical stuff won't ship to Canada because it would need to be CSA approved up here. But the standards up here aren't really any different then down there. If the markets not big enough, many companies don't bother getting the approval and don't ship up here because of costs. So I might have to find a brick and mortar store in Grand Forks, or Fargo (probably have way more luck in Minneapolis, but that's an 8 hour drive!). The last electrical device I needed, I couldn't get up here, but I got one in Sioux Falls, because we were driving through. But at that store, they don't sell Flojet. And its also an 8 hour drive! There was this guy in Grand Forks that had a warehouse, and you could ship stuff to him and he'd mail it up, but I can't remember who he is. I'll have to come up with something, I suppose.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #33

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
CheapHumidors Shipping Information sells them and they list Canada as a destination
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
CheapHumidors Shipping Information sells them and they list Canada as a destination
I also found them at campingworld, and went through the checkout, and they seem to have no problem shipping to Canada either. I wonder what Amazon's issue is? We do have a Canadian Amazon site, but usually if a product is only available on the American site, we can still order it. But some things, maybe not. But thanks for the other option!